Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: The official jlauber and Wilt Chamberlain thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    I have been reading jlauber's posts over the years, and for a perceived homer, he does offer a lot of good history.

I have no business commenting on any basketball pre-1989. All I have watched before then is old game tapes. Ask me anything about the 90's and I'll ramble on and on for hours.

jlauber, I was wondering if you could give us some insight into your age, did you see Wilt in person, and how you formulate your posts? I know there are a lot of posters here who may be uneducated about you and they assume you copy and paste text. I'm altogether quite sure you do a lot of typing, but have sources ready for quotes etc.

I just wanted to say, that even though you're a big Wilt fan, I'm glad that you're on ISH and sharing all this history with us all.

Raz (Ced)

jlauber does hit on some very good points and does his research but by some of the comments he's made I don't think he ever saw him play during his career......I could be wrong

I am a Wilt fan and have joined jlauber in defending against the bashers.
    My basketball viewership began in 1960 when the Lakers first moved to LA, my dad bought season tickets and we would stay around after to get autographs, it was extremely easy back then. I'm more of a Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich fan than a Wilt fan, hey they were in LA first.
    My hatred of the Celtics dates back to those days......they ruined my childhood
    Because of those days I never wear green.
    It's been good to finally get some revenge with Magic & Kobe.

I can tell you, the sensational.....seemingly impossible stories of Wilt are true, just like jlauber says.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    jlauber does hit on some very good points and does his research but by some of the comments he's made I don't think he ever saw him play during his career......I could be wrong

My basketball viewership began in 1960 when the Lakers first moved to LA, my dad bought season tickets and we would stay around after to get autographs, it was extremely easy back then. I'm more of a Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich fan than a Wilt fan, hey they were in LA first.
    My hatred of the Celtics dates back to those days......they ruined my childhood
    Because of those days I never wear green.
    It's been good to finally get some revenge with Magic & Kobe.

I can tell you, the sensational.....seemingly impossible stories of Wilt are true, just like jlauber says.
    many of them are actually reasonable, for example playground legend blocking his finger roll then got dunked 10 times , Gus Johnson's shoulder, his leaping ability, his strength ( he has to stand behind the FT line to shoot, showing how strong he is )

NBA rookie of the year

His quotes are taken completely out of context. He's admitting the athletes are better now days, but I think people need to take into consideration he wouldn't be taking improved training methods, longer practice times, and sports evolution into consideration when he made those posts.

I would not call that being exposed. Being exposed is finding out a poster is 14.
    No, they're not.

Originally Posted by jlauber
    “not to diminish guys like Russell and West, two great defenders...but defense back then was nowhere near as good as it is today.”
    Going from that to calling todays defensive era a really weak one compared to Wilt's is not taking anything out it's context.

“I know that this is getting away from the original post some, but most people tend to diminish Wilt's accomplishments because he was so much bigger, taller, stronger, and more athletic than his opposing centers. And it is true, that when Wilt was scoring 50 ppg, it was Russell at 6-9 and Bellamy at 6-11, and the rest were pretty much 6-8 or 6-9 "stiffs."
    Going from that to calling Wilt's era the greatest center era, that is a huge difference.

Originally Posted by jlauber “I know both you and I will get some flak from "old-timers" about how great some of them were . . . , but realistically, todays basketball players, although many lacking in fundamental skills, are far superior to the players of the 60's.”
    Going from that to calling Wilt's era just as good as today's, that's a huge difference.

“My personal opinion on athletics today is that, yes, today's athletes are generally bigger, stronger, faster, better trained, and better fed than those of 20 years ago or more.”
    Nowadays he'll tell you the direct opposite and he "proves" it with quotes from eye-witnesses.

It's not taken out of context, not at all, he changed his mind about Wilt and his era more than 40 years after those games were played. I don't know why you're defending him so much, he's not even a credible poster. He uses the most silly sources just to make Wilt look greater.

This is the same guy who used CavaliersFTW mistyped youtube-comment as a source..
    Don't believe me? Ask CavaliersFTW..
    Last edited by millwad; 07-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

My basketball viewership began in 1960 when the Lakers first moved to LA, my dad bought season tickets and we would stay around after to get autographs, it was extremely easy back then.
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? It's great to hear from an experienced NBA viewer! I'd love to see your all-time Lakers 15.

His quotes are taken completely out of context. He's admitting the athletes are better now days, but I think people need to take into consideration he wouldn't be taking improved training methods, longer practice times, and sports evolution into consideration when he made those posts.

I would not call that being exposed. Being exposed is finding out a poster is 14.
    I'd have to see the rest of the thread or see jlauber explain himself but, if that thread legit, then he absolutely got exposed.

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    It's not taken out of context, not at all, he changed his mind about Wilt and his era more than 40 years after those games were played. I don't know why you're defending him so much, he's not even a credible poster. He uses the most silly sources just to make Wilt look greater.
    He provides statistical evidence and reports that I would never even think to look for. He compiles so much information it truly is mind-boggling.

Just looking at defensive ratings for those historical games, as well as the pace, it's easy to see that defense wasn't as advanced as it is today. Most teams were looking to play a fast break style of basketball after Russell came on the scene.

You're calling jlauber out for changing his opinion? I don't see how he changed his opinion. I think what happened is jlauber commenting on how defense was worse back then due to pace. I think defensive talent was still there, and I don't think he is suggesting that guys like David Robinson are on par with Nate Thurmond defensively.

This is the same guy who used CavaliersFTW mistyped youtube-comment as a source...
    We all make mistakes. I don't see how it makes him any less credible.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? It's great to hear from an experienced NBA viewer! I'd love to see your all-time Lakers 15.
    With apologies, I never tell my age......but you get a good idea.....just say OLD

I won't do a top 15 in order, It's like picking between your kids, I love them all except 1;

Magic = Nicest person on earth
    Kobe = Cool and smooth, also nice. I was at the "81" game!!!
    Jerry West = Mr. Laker
    Chick Hearn = Never played but for me had more impact than everyone combined
    Elgin Baylor = Kobe before there was Kobe
    Goodrich = Lights out
    Jamaal Wilkes = Silent assassin
    Michael Cooper = Everything you need off the bench
    Adrian Dantley = size never mattered, he worked and dominated
    Horry = Lived for the moment
    DFish = Lived to break opponents hearts, as nice as Magic
    Wilt = Greatness/Coolness/ Dominance
    Worthy = Big Game!!!!
    Nick Van Exel = Cocky but clutch!!!
    KAJ = Awesome player but biggest A-Hole to ever wear a sports uniform.....anywhere!!!

Left out plenty other of my faves.

I've met and talked to all but about 4-5 Lakers from 1960-2012.
    Last edited by DKLaker; 07-23-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I'd have to see the rest of the thread or see jlauber explain himself but, if that thread legit, then he absolutely got exposed.
    No way he got exposed.

I'd need to see him post first. I can't stand threads where someone takes snippets of a poster's comments and tries to make a story arc out of them.

NBA rookie of the year

No way he got exposed.

I'd need to see him post first. I can't stand threads where someone takes snippets of a poster's comments and tries to make a story arc out of them.
    Again, it's not snippets, it's direct opposite thoughts to the ones he have today. This is the same guy who claims he remember specific details a la 40 year old games but still he changed his mind completely over youtube videos and quotes.

I don't know why you are defending him so much, he's not a credible poster and he is crazy biased. This is always the story with new members on this board, you don't know anything about the guy and what he's been up to but his wall of text and stats make you believe that he really know what he's talking about.
    Last edited by millwad; 07-23-2012 at 01:37 PM.

No way he got exposed.

Right, that's why I said I'd have to see the rest of the thread or jlauber explain, but if those posts aren't taken out of context, and he really said those things, then he got exposed.

Raz

With apologies, I never tell my age......but you get a good idea.....just say OLD

Well let's see that Lakers 15!

I could try and put a Celtics team together - but I have only seen classic games of the 60's, 70's and 80's Celtics.

I guess my team would look like:
    CT: Bill Russell/ Dave Cowens/ Robert Parish
    PF: Kevin McHale/ Tommy Heinsohn/ Kevin Garnett
    SF: Larry Bird/ Paul Pierce/ Reggie Lewis
    SG: John Havlicek/ Sam Jones/ Bill Sharman/ Dennis Johnson
    PG: Bob Cousy/ Jo Jo White/ Rajon Rondo

It ended up being 16 guys. That will have to do.

I know DJ and Hondo are out of position, I was just trying to go 3 deep at each, and DJ can guard SG, and Hondo was 6'5" and played SG half the time on the court.

I know I could have picked someone over Reggie Lewis - but he was my favorite Celtic ever. If he hadn't of died, his career may have warranted the selection.
    Last edited by Raz; 07-23-2012 at 02:34 PM.

No way he got exposed.

So let's just pretend he didn't post those comments a few years back?

Because according to you, he must've been on drugs when he posted those.

Raz

Again, it's not snippets, it's direct opposite thoughts to the ones he have today. This is the same guy who claims he remember specific details a la 40 year old games but still he changed his mind completely over youtube videos and quotes.

I don't know why you are defending him so much, he's not a credible poster and he is crazy biased.
    One question for you then. Do you think ISH would be better off without jlauber?

If you answer yes, I'll know not to take you seriously. This isn't a thread to start arguments, or to try and dig at one poster. I like the guy, and I enjoy how much he puts into his posts. I'm getting a little sick of these online attempts to try and discredit posters.

NBA rookie of the year

One question for you then. Do you think ISH would be better off without jlauber?

If you answer yes, I'll know not to take you seriously. This isn't a thread to start arguments, or to try and dig at one poster. I like the guy, and I enjoy how much he puts into his posts. I'm getting a little sick of these online attempts to try and discredit posters.
    This is a forum, it's open for everyone but everyone should be aware of his post history and his antics and how biased he is.

I don't discredit him, I am writing the truth about him, we always have the same stuff on ISH when new posters join and they see Jlauber's walls of text.

If you want to think a guy who uses youtube and yahoo comments as sources is a credible poster, go ahead. If you want to think a guy who spms constantly about how he remembers 40 year old games in detail but still couldn't remember how good Wilt and his era was until a few years ago is a credible poster, then go ahead.

Personally I think he's nonsense, way too biased and insecure about his love for Wilt and he uses the most worthless sources like eye-witness accounts and youtube and yahoo-comments if it fits his agenda which is hyping up Wilt like crazy.
    Last edited by millwad; 07-23-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Raz

I don't discredit him, I am writing the truth about him, we always have the same stuff on ISH when new posters join and they see Jlauber's walls of text.
    I have been around since about 2001/02 on EZ Board. You know me, I'm Ced.

Personally I think he's nonsense, way too biased and insecure about his love for Wilt and he uses the most worthless sources like eye-witness accounts and youtube and yahoo-comments if it fits his agenda which is hyping up Wilt like crazy.
    I called him a homer in the OP. But he gives us a lot of information, that we otherwise might not be privy to, because we wouldn't think to look for it.

You seem to have a clear agenda in this thread, and I appreciate your concerns, I think you are attacking a very useful and informative poster. You should turn your attentions to trolls.