Say you get both guys for exactly seven years:

05 Dirk 01 Duncan
    06 Dirk 02 Duncan
    07 Dirk 03 Duncan
    08 Dirk 04 Duncan
    09 Dirk 05 Duncan
    10 Dirk 06 Duncan
    11 Dirk 07 Duncan

What kind of guys would you surround them with if you want to contend annually? What kind of offense/defense would you run? What types of teams would give a squad with this core problems (relatively speaking)?

Parameters:

1) Goal is to contend year in and year out.
    2) The offense must run through Dirk/Duncan. Want to leave the interpretation open-ended.
    3) Not competing in any particular season, but if you need something concrete, say this team is dropped into the West in today's league (replacing some irrelevant team), and presume the conference will remain strong for the duration of your seven years.
    4) I'm not going to restrict your players beyond (2), but try and keep it realistic. Teammates don't have to be replacement-level talents, but let's make it fair to the rest of the league. :wink:

Local High School Star fragokota's Avatar

Default Re: Team-Building Exercise: 05-11 Dirk and 01-07 Duncan

Parker, Ginobili and ofc Pop. Why re-invent the wheel bro?

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by fragokota
    Probably the simplest way to do it.

But if your only goal is just to "contend every year", I'm pretty sure the rest of the team wouldn't really matter that much, just take any average supporting cast, they'd be in contention anyway.

I would build around Dirk almost exactly like the Memphis Grizzlies, with him in for Zbo and a few role players altered here and there to make salaries match.

Elite defensive anchor, great big man passer, and now legit post scoring option in Gasol. Smart, well-rounded PG in Conley. Elite defensive stopper in Tony Allen. Quality set of role players in Lee, Prince, Carter, Pondexter, Calathes, Udrih, etc. Very good coach.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by fragokota
    I suppose. Would you make any changes to accommodate bringing Dirk into the fold? Or do you think he's a good fit with the same core?
    Quote Originally Posted by brain drain
    Probably the simplest way to do it.

But if your only goal is just to "contend every year", I'm pretty sure the rest of the team wouldn't really matter that much, just take any average supporting cast, they'd be in contention anyway.
    I suppose, but obviously we'd like to maximize their chances of winning multiple ships (without an all-star studded supporting cast). Contending year-in-year-out in a conference like the West is pretty tough IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    I would build around Dirk almost exactly like the Memphis Grizzlies, with him in for Zbo and a few role players altered here and there to make salaries match.

Elite defensive anchor, great big man passer, and now legit post scoring option in Gasol. Smart, well-rounded PG in Conley. Elite defensive stopper in Tony Allen. Quality set of role players in Lee, Prince, Carter, Pondexter, Calathes, Udrih, etc. Very good coach.
    Just to clarify, this is a hypothetical squad with BOTH Dirk and Timmy.

Peak dirk and a healthy Tyson chandler is a title contender every season. They fit together soooo well its ridiculous.

Banned

Prime Dirkules, Tyson Chandler, and Monta Ellis would be a dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Say you get both guys for exactly seven years:

05 Dirk 01 Duncan
    06 Dirk 02 Duncan
    07 Dirk 03 Duncan
    08 Dirk 04 Duncan
    09 Dirk 05 Duncan
    10 Dirk 06 Duncan
    11 Dirk 07 Duncan

What kind of guys would you surround them with if you want to contend annually? What kind of offense/defense would you run? What types of teams would give a squad with this core problems (relatively speaking)?

Parameters:

1) Goal is to contend year in and year out.
    2) The offense must run through Dirk/Duncan. Want to leave the interpretation open-ended.
    3) Not competing in any particular season, but if you need something concrete, say this team is dropped into the West in today's league (replacing some irrelevant team), and presume the conference will remain strong for the duration of your seven years.
    4) I'm not going to restrict your players beyond (2), but try and keep it realistic. Teammates don't have to be replacement-level talents, but let's make it fair to the rest of the league. :wink:
    both of them? together?
    PG: old jason kidd/ young chauncy billups/ conley/young lowry type pg : pass first, great D, can hit the open shot (8M)
    SG: combo guard that can slash and hit the open 3 : ellis, ginobili, dragic (12M)
    SF: older battier/older ak47/tony allen / young tayshaun prince/ prime bowen (5M)
    PF: dirk (18M)
    C: duncan (18M)
    First big off the bench: brand wright/tyson chandler/deandre jordan type: long, athletic rim protector.(7-14M)
    First man off the bench: danny green / young jimmy butler / afflalo/ wes matthews (5-8M)
    +Ring Chaser for vet minimum

Coach pop, owner cuban.

overall 5-8M over the lux tax. but 7 easy rings.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Just to clarify, this is a hypothetical squad with BOTH Dirk and Timmy.
    That's just unfair

To think of 03 Duncan and 07 Dirk...my god. Just get them some semblance of NBA level talent around them, and they're winning it all. Some decent PG that can pass and get them the ball effectively (like a healthy Jose Calderon or Kirk Hinrich), a wing that can defend and perhaps shoot 3s like Trevor Ariza or Demarre Carrol, and a decent to good coach like Frank Vogel...and I don't see how they lose.

They contend every year, and win anywhere from 4-7 out of 7. Give them anything more than what I did...so maybe someone like Wes Matthews or Jimmy Butler instead of Ariza/Carrol, a very good PG like Conley instead of Hinrich/Calderon, or an elite coach like Carlisle or Pop instead of Vogel, and they're winning 6 for sure, probably 7.
    Last edited by Milbuck; 12-05-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Very good NBA starter

I'd build around the back-to-back MVP and multiple champion. Throw a Rasho Nesterovich or Nazr Mohammed next to him and your defense is beast. Run the offense through Duncan in the post and you're good to go

07 Dirk and 03 Duncan on the same team is not fair.

Peak Duncan AND Dirk? Give them the Sixers and Pop/Carlisle and they'd get 50 wins

IMO it would've been a better thread had you given us the task of building a team around a superstar who put up numbers on a bad team e.g. 03 T-Mac