Default If the Lakers had drafted Sidney Moncrief

instead of Magic (West favored Moncrief), how many titles would the Lakers have won in the 80s, and would Moncrief be in the HOF?

Default Re: If the Lakers had drafted Sidney Moncrief

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    instead of Magic (West favored Moncrief), how many titles would the Lakers have won in the 80s, and would Moncrief be in the HOF?
    Comparing him to magic, he would hAve been just another role player .they already coop, so he was the main guy on D .there is no way they would have won a title in the 80's.if magic went to New Orleans , they would have won first before lakers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by the mesiah
    Comparing him to magic, he would hAve been just another role player .they already coop, so he was the main guy on D .there is no way they would have won a title in the 80's.if magic went to New Orleans , they would have won first before lakers IMO.
    An All NBA first team member is just "another guy"...

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    An All NBA first team member is just "another guy"...
    Just one time ..u actually think he would have won a chip against a bird laden celtics team ?

Just one time ..u actually think he would have won a chip against a bird laden celtics team ?
    DPOY...

Kareem, Worthy and Moncrief?

Yeah, they wouldn't win any titles.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Dude.. sidney moncreif led BUCK teams have beat prime bird/celtic teams in playoff series

Now imagine if you added kareem abdul jabbar onto those bucks teams..

This is a tough one but I would say none. Mainly because of the make-up of the team in the late 70s and early 80s and the coaching style. I just don't see the Lakers winning a title with Sidney Moncrief.

For the second question, to be honest, I do not know. It all goes back to the Lakers and their team make-up and coaching style. Would Sid get minutes and shots dealing with Norm Nixon, Kareem, Spencer Haywood, and Jamaal Wilkes? Would Sid be able to lead or help the Lakers like he did with the Bucks?

The Lakers would have been their usual selves; winning 50-55 games. But would they win a title with Sidney? I say no.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Dude.. sidney moncreif led BUCK teams have beat prime bird/celtic teams

Now imagine if you added kareem abdul jabbar onto those bucks teams..
    80-81 no WCF
    81-82 no ECF even after a bye
    83-84 celtics beat bucks
    84-85 get swept
    85-86 Bos sweeps that ass
    86-87 Bos beats that ass again
    87-88 first round bounce
    88-89 swept in the semis
    They only Won 1 series against the celtics , none in their "prime" ..

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    This is a tough one but I would say none. Mainly because of the make-up of the team in the late 70s and early 80s and the coaching style. I just don't see the Lakers winning a title with Sidney Moncrief.

For the second question, to be honest, I do not know. It all goes back to the Lakers and their team make-up and coaching style. Would Sid get minutes and shots dealing with Norm Nixon, Kareem, Spencer Haywood, and Jamaal Wilkes? Would Sid be able to lead or help the Lakers like he did with the Bucks?

The Lakers would have been their usual selves; winning 50-55 games. But would they win a title with Sidney? I say no.
    ^^^^Here is somebody that gets it ..plain flat out wouldn't .

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    DPOY...

Kareem, Worthy and Moncrief?

Yeah, they wouldn't win any titles.
    Yea, because having the DPOY is guaranteed to win u a chip year in and year out consistently..

SMDH at people saying "no titles", at least with such certainty Y'all don't know what you're talking about.

Overall, Sidney Moncrief was the best SG in the 80's after Jordan and Gervin, even at some point #1 after Gervin's decline and before Jordan's breakthrough.
    You can even say that he had one of the greatest peaks for a SG ever, overall/all-around.

He brought really good all-around offense, was a great rebounder for a SG, and he is the only guard to win DPOY more than once, he was locking people up while giving them fits on the other end still. He's also the only SG who can claim/make a great case that he outplayed Jordan h2h in a playoff series (read this entire thread, please):
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=312018

In his (short) prime, he made 5 all-nba teams, including 1st once, 4 all-defensive 1st teams, 2x DPOY, 5x top8 in MVP voting, including 4th once... And Bucks' teams mostly led by him, made like 3 ECF, and were getting 50+ wins every year, including 59, 57 and 55 once. East was considerably tougher than the West too, arguably the GOAT conference (not trying to diminish his teammates because he had some great ones).

This was a very unselfish player, that worked hard as hell and gave everything he had on both ends. He had great athleticism to fit with the Lakers' style, also.

A player capable of (around) 21/6/5 on close to .600 TS%, in his prime... That's with all-time great defense.
    A year before he won DPOY, he led the Bucks in points, rebounds and assists, as a 6'4 guard

Role player???

While Kareem was still balling, really impactful and leading the team, they could've definitely win a couple, with Sidney instead of Magic. Jabbar could still do it big time and time again, Worthy came along and was really good, Scott something similar to a slight less degree, Wilkes could ball and was there at the start and also Nixon who could score and pass, they had McAdoo, Rambis, so on... Also, imagine Moncrief and Cooper surveying the perimeter Opposing teams' 1-3 woud simply be screwed. And they also had plenty of other good defenders and guys to protect the paint. Norm was the one playing more PG at the start of Magic's career too, and even Coop could run the point very well with Sid at the 2 providing some ball-handling and passing, as well. Stacked all the way, still.

I can see them winning in 1982 and 1985(assuming Bird's still injured in the Finals). Not saying they definitely would've but great chances no doubt, and knowing what really "happened", they would most likely be my favorites.

Kareem was still great into the mid 80's, making all-nba 1st, 4th in MVP voting, having GOAT Finals performances, so on... They also had (assuming they're the same) all those other guys I've mentioned, just stacked like crazy and playing on a weaker conference than the East.
    I won't talk about 1980 because Moncrief didn't come out of the gate guns blazing like Magic, not even in his 2nd year.. I can make a case that he wasn't getting minutes/touches but still...

The "thing" is that after 1986 Sid was mostly done due to major injuries (still had some really good PS runs after that though)... But those are still 5/6 really good prime years, and, in my mind, more than enough for the Lakers to go all the way, with the rest and him.

Go watch that man play if you can, as well... He was like a poor man's Dwyane Wade on offense (various similarities) and something like Tony Allen on on-ball defense.
    Some highlights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ADAo3W4Hos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm1EEsgoITE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFV59cFZi-U

Oh and should've definitely been in the HoF by now, at least looking at some players already in.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 06-24-2014 at 09:41 AM.

I am your soldier!

Yea, because having the DPOY is guaranteed to win u a chip year in and year out consistently..
    Oh I don't know... A weaker west, with two top 50 players, and a DPOY all-star PG?

Yeah they'd be in the lottery.

I rule the local playground Fork's Avatar

Who?