Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: would an average HS player beat cousy 1v1 ?

That Cousy dude always looks like it was his first ever day playing basketball in his "highlights"

Local High School Star

playing with what rules? 60s?
    Cousy would punch the boy and let him go home crying. back then bb was brutal.

and no, not even without physical play, he wouldnt beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
    playing with what rules? 60s?
    Cousy would punch the boy and let him go home crying. back then bb was brutal.

and no, not even without physical play, he wouldnt beat him.
    cousy throwing a punch with his hand eye coordination cousy has the IQ to know that he'd get himself injured trying an athletic move like that

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    That doesn't even make sense...BB King's techniques are much more modern than Robert Johnson's. .
    The f*ck does that have to do with his point?

Also, if nobody can play like Johnson then why does 'more modern' matter?

Pretty sure some of the overweight basement dwellers from ISH would put up a fight against him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xa6546ixc

A high school player against Cousy would look much the same against Cousy as they would against Jason Williams, Steve Nash, Magic Johnson or Pete Maravich.

Because those are examples of players that borrowed major elements of Cousy's game. Cousy would make high school players of any era look retarded. Cousy regularly threw passes and made plays that would make any professional look stupid in any era, let alone high school kids. Even that 1950's rules way he dribbles or shoots only looks funny until you realize you still can't steal it out of his hands and he's still getting to every single place on the floor he wants to with impunity, and he's still sinking those push shots or driving around you if you guard him too close.
    I always hate it when someone beats me 1on1 with their passing.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    I always hate it when someone beats me 1on1 with their passing.
    My brother used to kill me with the play-action in one-on-one football.

My defensive awareness rating as a 3rd grader was 4.

Once again, ISH picks the wrong player to make fun of... a highlight reel of Cousy's passes and other spectacular moves looks just as impressive as would one from Pete Maravich, Jason Williams or Ricky Rubio, except Cousy was doing it before everybody else in the league. Based on a tiny, tiny sample of Cousy's playing career, there are several passes I'd never seen before except in streetball. He's looking like a top 10 machine out there.

By the way, Cousy did have the ability to change hands dribbling the ball (to accuse Bob Cousy of all people of lacking ball control was always a bit dumb... as if a genius with the ball in his hands couldn't do some of the most basic things I can teach a kid to do in two minutes) Not just that, but random highlights show him pulling more advanced moves like a quick spin or a perfect behind-the-back dribble to lose his defender in transition. Those were evidently nothing to him.

Oh, and the very next second in that much ridiculed clip of Cousy involves a crisp switch from left to right hand, followed by an impossibly gorgeous pass.

Not sure how his scoring translates to today's NBA as it all depends on what his jumpshot would look like... but the passing? I'd be very surprised if he wasn't at the very least Ricky Rubio on offense.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 09-26-2015 at 02:02 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    My brother used to kill me with the play-action in one-on-one football.

My defensive awareness rating as a 3rd grader was 4.
    Let me guess, he used to yell "think fast!" as well?

Local High School Star

The way they officiated traveling back then would mean no one would constantly palm the ball like they do today. Being able to gather all the time makes the game look much better aesthetically, but true skill is only obtained by following the rule book to a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by Brook(lyn)Lopez
    The way they officiated traveling back then would mean no one would constantly palm the ball like they do today. Being able to gather all the time makes the game look much better aesthetically, but true skill is only obtained by following the rule book to a tee.
    Exactly. It was a palming violation back then unless your hand was 100% on top of ball. Then they changed it to make game faster and more entertaining and now players literally palm the ball the majority of the time.

To answer question OP, Cousy would be an elite NBA point guard in today's league. So no.

I'd rock Cousy if he tried playing rough. Not only that, I'd drop 25 on him in 10 minutes, then go have dinner at his family's house and take a dump without flushing. I had the same skill set Cousy had at age 12.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I played vs older guys plenty of times in the past. And like some of you, I confused 'style' over substance.

I'd look at their style and how they played and simply figured I'd crush them with my more modern crossover and moves.

Big mistake

They were older and their style may have been different, but they knew how to use their body to keep me away. They were smart enough to understand angles and anticipation on defense.

Not to say I didn't get mine from time to time, but it wasn't the walk in the park I thought it'd be.

Forward 10+ years and now Im the old man in the park playing younger guys with fancier moves.

I gets mine.

Basketball when you break it down is very basic. YES some moves and ball handling have advanced, but at the end of the day, it doesn't make up a large part of the game. Athleticism doesn't become a large part of the game.

Hate to sound like the old fart around, but it comes down to basic basketball and fundamentals.

Even if you truly analyze basketball from today you'll see that about 80% of it hasn't truly changed, and athleticism isn't as huge of a factor.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Brook(lyn)Lopez
    They called carry on Allen Iverson in his very first NBA game and AI wasn't even that bad compared to modern guards who change direction mid dribble with a carry. Someone like Durant also carries all the time.

It takes a lot more skill to do a crossover like Tim Hardaway did it, using body fakes, than the modern crossover which is called 'hesitation' but in reality is mainly just a carry.

In real life, it is very easy to see when someone carries on dribbles but of course it isn't called in streetball. We used to call carry on guys back in the 90s in practice too.

Allen Iverson basically changed the game, because he continued to do his crossover carry and eventually the refs decided that they wouldn't call him on it. That led to everyone doing it. AI was one of the most influential players of all time, also with his thug persona and tattoos. Not for the better if you ask me, but you can't deny he changed the league for good.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I played vs older guys plenty of times in the past. And like some of you, I confused 'style' over substance.

I'd look at their style and how they played and simply figured I'd crush them with my more modern crossover and moves.

Big mistake

They were older and their style may have been different, but they knew how to use their body to keep me away. They were smart enough to understand angles and anticipation on defense.

Not to say I didn't get mine from time to time, but it wasn't the walk in the park I thought it'd be.

Forward 10+ years and now Im the old man in the park playing younger guys with fancier moves.

I gets mine.

Basketball when you break it down is very basic. YES some moves and ball handling have advanced, but at the end of the day, it doesn't make up a large part of the game. Athleticism doesn't become a large part of the game.

Hate to sound like the old fart around, but it comes down to basic basketball and fundamentals.

Even if you truly analyze basketball from today you'll see that about 80% of it hasn't truly changed, and athleticism isn't as huge of a factor.

Old stiff guys like us need to be economical with our movement which leads to stripping away unecessary showboating.

You look at MJ as an example, he actually was not a 'flashy' dribbler, his moves were all about weight distribution, getting your opponent to put his weight on one foot then going the other way.

Sometimes in streetball I like to dribble one handed up and down like Cousy, hand literally on top of the ball, then some anxious player will think I have no handle and reach for it, then I just quickly do a crossover and goodbye. You reach, I teach.