Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    In the late 80's and then into the 90's, that one series changed so much, for better or worse. Hakeen didn't actually have a great reputation or legacy going for him, for a number of years. It all changed when he had one of the best few years in the history of the modern game. David Robinson was huge throughout his career. So it depends on how you look at it. I guess I am saying, only since those few years was Hakeen ever considered near the top of the greatest of all time list for C's and all players. I don't know who I think is the better NBA player, b/c you have to look at a heck of a lot more then one finals series.

In reality, most C's of these two guys calibar can score at will one on one. Even marginal players in the NBA demand double teams. So, some of it depends on the team strategy of SA during that series. MJ could kill any one player who guarded him. That doesn't make the defender a bad player. Tim Duncan can get schooled by KG on one play...and TD can score at will on KG on the other. These guys are that good. You have to double. Then it comes down to teammates. I guess all I am saying is that nobody would have stopped either of these guys one on one when they are on. Hakeem was on during that series. Both had great careers.
    good point about the double teams rapsfan!

all the more reason to give props to both of them-- hakeem and d.rob

erudite

Default Well

D-Rob vs Dream is like Clyde vs MJ

It's closer than you remember becuz the play-offs mean more than the reg season in your memories but really does that matter?

in terms of nostalgia...Legend......your gut feeling....?

no

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

any of you new guys care to comment?

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

For me its a similar debate of Duncan VS Garnett.

Garnett and DRob were both athletic freaks. Duncan and Hakeem had the intangables that make them great.

Alot of people base DRob and hakeems ENTIRE career on that ONE playoff series. sure it was big and DRob seemed to get owned, but Duncan also OWNED KG in 1999 and some people still think that KG is better than Duncan.

I wish there were more highlight mixes of David Robinson because he was an amazing talent. he peaked alot faster than hakeem. Hakeem didnt hit his stride until he was 30-32.

I see, I commented in September... for me I'd take prime D-Rob as he is my favorite player OAT. I know it's clear Hakeem had the better career, but the reality gap between the two is minimal.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
    I see, I commented in September... for me I'd take prime D-Rob as he is my favorite player OAT. I know it's clear Hakeem had the better career, but the reality gap between the two is minimal.
    David Robinson is the main reason why I became a Spurs fan. I once saw David steal a pass, run down court, dunk the ball, then run back and block a shot on the other end. he was an athletic beast, the same way KG is...but he didnt have the leadership qualities or the intangibles that Duncan or Hakeem had.

If you look at both of their bios on NBA.com/history, you will see how great both of them were.

If you can make a claim that KG is better than Duncan, then you can make the EXACT same claim that DRob is better than Hakeem. the similarities are so close its scary!

alot of people just hear that Drob got owned by Hakeem in a playoff series and automatically jump to the conclusion that Hakeem owned Drob every single time they played, which is obviously NOT the case, and that is a huge injustice to David.
    Last edited by SsKSpurs21; 02-21-2007 at 07:04 PM.

High School Varsity 6th Man

David Robinson was my childhood hero, but I will say this: Hakeem had a better career.

Local High School Star DreamRockets's Avatar

not even close my friend, we are talking about 36/12/4/5/55% vs 23/11/3/2/48% here, we all saw the embarassment on national tv, and i was there to see it LIVE so no highlights on youtube here.

i won't even bother with their regular season games, (in which hakeem still dominated) because they don'0t mean jack, true legends are remembered because of their playoffs performances. hakeem is remembered for outplaying ewing, embarassing robinson and running in circles around a young shaq, robinson is remembered for riding duncan's coat-tails to 2 championships, lol.

if you wanna rank shaq above hakeem that's ok, i don't agree and never will but at least shaquille is a "true" nba champion, please leave robinson (90's version of KG) out of this discussion.
    Last edited by DreamRockets; 02-21-2007 at 08:47 PM.

triple p
    Last edited by DreamRockets; 02-21-2007 at 08:19 PM.

triple post, garbage browser.
    Last edited by DreamRockets; 02-21-2007 at 08:19 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore HoustonRockets87's Avatar

Olajuwon Vs Robinson Head-To-Head:
    Career Regular Season: Hakeem- 21.9 PPG, 11.3 RPG, Robinson- 19.6 PPG, 11.2 RPG
    Post season: Hakeem- 35.3 PPG, 12.5 RPG, Robinson- 23.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG

Default Re: ...

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    Amare.
    the spurs won didnt they ? duncan owned amare on the boards and blocked more shots, robinson was owned at everything, points, rebounds, blocks, assists, steals, fg%, and lost the series against a 47 wins team, the whole package.
    Last edited by DreamRockets; 02-21-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mamba
    Admiral was just straight better.
    don't be stupid dude, there isnt a single case you can make for robinson being better than hakeem, only the other way around.

Default Re: .

Quote Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
    this is EXACTLY what rainer poet was talking about...

EVERYONE focuses on THAT ONE SERIES.

here is a little analogy:
    robinson is to garnett : duncan is to hakeem

this meaning, robinson had a weak supporting cast and a weak coach. it was drob and sean elliot, and sean elliot wasnt even considered an allstar, while hakeem had ralph sampson. same way how duncan had drob.

iam not claiming that robinson was better than hakeem. thats not true...BUT what i am saying is THAT ONE series puts that perception that the entire career was that way, and that was simply not the case.

DRob has owned hakeem a few times but the reason why that one series is blown out of proportion is because DRob was the MVP and it was the playoffs.

Duncan has owned KG but KG has gotten his on duncan a few times...maybe not in the playoffs, but he has owned duncan a few times. same EXACT situation with robinson and hakeem.

the current duncan vs KG is the same exact battle between hakeem vs robinson.

yeah idiot, because hakeem had MJ at SG, stockton at PG and barkley at PF the likes of horry, casseell, kenny smith, herrera, mad max, etc were nothing but role players, the equivalents of avery, elliot, rodman and del negro in san antonio, hakeem didn't have a better "team" than robinson so stop making excuses, dude flat out whored the so called "mvp".
    Last edited by DreamRockets; 02-21-2007 at 09:24 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore HoustonRockets87's Avatar