Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    College superstar

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

Going with option #1

Coach: SVG (4)

C: Shaq (1) / Chandler (5) / Sanders (7)
    PF: Okur (5) / Ibaka (6) /
    SF: Peja (4) / Prince (6) /
    SG: Bell (5) / Cooper (6)
    PG: S. Curry (4) / Mayo (5) / Sessions (7)

What SVG with Dwight in Orlando was amazing. Shaq is just about the most dominant force the NBA has seen, but he was also one of the best passing bigmen and a very willing passer.

I basically surrounded Shaq with the best shooters available. The inside out game would be ridiculous with a team like this, Shaq cannot be double teamed.

As for the second unit, you've got some of the best defenders available to switch onto any opponents going off. Michael Cooper could guard 1-3, so ignore Mayo/Sessions. They're just to back up Curry. The best part of this team is that no one is very selfish or hogs up a bunch of shots. Shaq does, but he's one of the most efficient scorers in the league and a willing passer.

If any double comes, these are players that hit their 3's at a clip of 40%+. The spacing would be ridiculous for Shaq.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

Few teams under consideration I can keep in one spot to avoid too much scrolling later:

(2)Patrick Ewing, John Stockton

(3)Jerry Sloan

(4)Dale Ellis, Buck Williams, Brandon Roy

(5)Horace Grant, Michael Redd, Doug Christie

(6)Michael Cooper, Brad Miller

(7)Ramon Sessions, Ike Austin

Coach: Jerry Sloan

C: Ewing, Miller, Austin
    PF: Williams, Grant
    SF: Ellis, Cooper
    SG: Roy, Redd, Christie
    PG: Stockton, Sessions

Coach: Frank Vogel (6) - Since taking over the Pacers from Jim O'Brien in 2011, his teams have clinched a playoff berth in three straight seasons. His teams are great defensively, and have improved on offense.

Starters:
    PG: Stephen Curry (4) - Great 3pt. shooter. Can create for himself or others. Can play off-ball. Excellent free-throw shooter.

SG: Raja Bell (Suns) (5) - Great catch-and-shoot 3pt. shooter. Great perimeter defender. Very good free-throw shooter.

SF: Paul George (4) - Very good 3pt. shooter. Can create for himself or others. Can play off-ball. Great perimeter defender. Very good free-throw shooter.

PF: Tim Duncan (prime) (1) - Franchise cornerstone. Great post game. Good passer. Good mid-range jumper. Excellent all-around defender for a big. Great rebounder. Okay free-throw shooter.

C: Mehmet Okur (Prime Jazz) (5) - Great 3pt. shooter for a big. Great free-throw shooter. Okay at everything else.

Bench:
    PG: Jason Terry (Mavs) (5) - Great 3pt. shooter. Can create for himself or others. Can play off-ball. Great free-throw shooter.

SG: Michael Redd (5) - Very good scorer. Very good 3pt. shooter. Great free-throw shooter.

SF: Bruce Bowen (6) - Tenacious perimeter defender. Great at corner 3pt. shots.

PF: Serge Ibaka (6) - Great all-around big-man defender. Excellent shot blocker. Very good mid-range shot. Shoots the spot-up 3 on occasion. Good rebounder. Okay free-throw shooter. Athletic.

C: Andrew Bynum (2010-2012 healthy) (4) - Great post game. Great all-around defender for a big. Great rebounder. Okay free-throw shooter. Injury-prone.

SF/PF: Steve Novak (7) - Great 3pt. shooter. Great free-throw shooter.

PF/C: Larry Sanders (7) - Great all-around big-man defender. Excellent shot blocker. Great rebounder. Poor free-throw shooter.

Offense will be PG pick and roll/pop with the bigs and post-ups for Duncan and Bynum. Duncan can run some things from the pinch post. Curry, George, Terry, and Redd can create their own shot if needed.
    Coach: Bird
    C: Ewing
    PF: LMA
    SF: Grant Hill
    SG: Eddie Jones
    PG: Steph
    Bench: Ratliff, Dennis Scott, Horry, Hinrich, Battier, Rambis, Sessions.
    Coach: Thibs

C: Ewing / Nene
    PF: Rodman / Millsap / Sanders
    SF: Durant / Prince
    SG: Rip Hamilton / JR Smith / Novak
    PG: Curry / Afflalo

If you found a way to get this team a coach id say they had a shot of only for the hatred they would play with:

Coach: Charles Barkley (7)
    C: Tyson Chandler (5), Joakim Noah (4), Brad Miller (6)
    PF: Anthony Mason (4), Boris Diaw (6)
    SF: Ron Artest (4), Hedo Turkoglu (5)
    SG: Michael Jordan (1), Michael Redd (5), Anthony Parker (7)
    PG: Mookie Blaylock (5), Avery Johnson (6)

Defense:
    This team has incredibly toughness and defense in its starting 5. All 5 made an All-D team in their prime. Everyone from SG and up are tremendous rebounders.
    Mookie will hound the opposing teams PG full-court, knowing he has MJ and Artest to play the passing lanes, Mason to deliver hard fouls if necessary and Chandler down low. Swingmen will not see the light with MJ and Artest shutting them down. There also is Joakim Noah off the bench.
    Offense:
    Michael Jordan, the best scorer of the modern era. Chandler, Mason and Artest to feed off him. Off the bench there is Redd, a 25+ scorers in his prime and Hedo, a point forward that can also hit the outside shot. If you wanna play a more fluent, passing-motion offense, this team can bring in Diaw and/or Miller.
    While this team is not strong at the PG position, both Mookie and especially AJ are great playmakers and will fit fine next to MJ. Clearly this is a half-court set-offense team.
    Coaching:
    This team does not have a coach; Barkley is little more than a mascot, albeit respected by his peers. However, Avery Johnson and Michael Jordan will both act as player-coaches during games. Especially the starting 5 is savvy and has high BBall IQ to absorb the lack of a coach.

Even supposed that talent does not favor my team, it certainly has the toughness, BBall IQ and leadership to go toe-to-toe with any team. Also, it has Michael Jordan.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Having just remembered this....id have to say the winner is torontobluered with this post:

C: Ewing / Nene
    PF: Rodman / Millsap / Sanders
    SF: Durant / Prince
    SG: Rip Hamilton / JR Smith / Novak
    PG: Curry / Afflalo

No real "theme"...just a good mix of offense and defense that can come together and play good ball.

Scoring:
    Prime Ewing was a beast, he can give you 30 points any given night. The same goes for Durant obviously. Millsap is very skilled and can get you points inside. Nene and Curry can get you points too if needed. JR is a scoring punch off the bench, Rip and Prince can hold their own offensively too. There are basically no offensive liabilities on this team, since I think offense is more important than defense (though only slightly). Lots of different ways of scoring, would be hard to stop this team from getting 120 a night.

Rebounding:
    Rodman. Enough said. Ewing is good on the boards as well. Durant is tall and long and can get boards too if he tries (refer to the beginning of this season). Millsap and Nene get you 10 boards a night easily if they need too. Everyone else is adept too for their positions. Very solid rebounding team.

Defense:
    Rodman... one of the greatest defensive players ever - he'll shut down pretty much any front court player. Ewing can play tough defense too. Durant is long and tall, and a pretty decent defender if he tries (probably underrated on this board. Rip Hamilton and Prince are proven excellent defensive players (see 2004 pistons). Afflalo and Sanders are nice too, they can play scrappy D. The team could be excellent defensively, especially with Rodman anchoring and with Thibs coaching.

Shooting/Spacing:
    We all know what Durant can do. Novak is great. Rip Hamilton and Prince can shoot. JR isn't bad (though admittedly inconsistent. Curry and Afllalo are solid shooters as well. Spacing and shooting should be great overall.

Chemistry:
    Durant is efficient and doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time, can easily share the scoring load with Ewing and defer when necessary. Rodman doesn't need touches, and Rip and Hamilton are unselfish players that can play off the ball. None of the guys off the bench have big egos either. Thibs could get this team to play great team ball.

Pretty sure I win
    In the very unlikely event he returns to see this(he has 6 posts ever) the prize will be 3 of my favorite basketball books:

Wilt chamberlain - A view from above

Tipoff - How the 1984 NBa draft changed basketball forever

THe Jordan Rules

Ive read them all too many times to remember. Good to have laying around.

I suspect ill never be called on to deliver but should he pop up...ill pay. If he doesnt it will probably be:

Group 2: Patrick Ewing, Kevin Durant
    Group 3: Kyrie Irving
    Group 4: Tom Thibodeau, Paul George, Joakim Noah
    Group 5: OJ Mayo, JR Smith, Richard Jefferson
    Group 6: Ibaka, Kirk Hinrich
    Group 7: Larry Sanders, Novak

PG: Kyrie Irving
    SG: Paul George
    SF: Kevin Durant
    PF: Joakim Noah
    C: Patrick Ewing

Bench
    G: OJ Mayo, JR Smith, Kirk Hinrich
    F/C: Richard Jefferson, Steve Novak, Ibaka, Larry Sanders
    George shot up the rankings this year. Kyrie kinda takes a hit....but Durant/Ewing/George with Noah I suppose at the 4 with Kyrie at the point? They could contend with anyone. And Thibs coaching? 5-6 good shooters?

(e) is the winner if the other guy never shows.