Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How do you play 21?

Basically the main rules already mentioned plus when you hit 21, you have to take a freethrow. But you have to miss it and you have to hit rim. If you don't hit rim or if you make the shot then you go back to 13. This allows others to be able to tip at the end to prevent the game from being over. Also whoever shot it last has to guard whoever has the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    depends on the neighborhood but i can confirm this
    I thought it was funny (did my undergrad at OSU). I played a lot of good games in the cages and at Jesse Owens/Larkins.

I got negged for my previous post.

Some ISH posters are mad at the world I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I thought it was funny (did my undergrad at OSU). I played a lot of good games in the cages and at Jesse Owens/Larkins.

You get negged because you are an asshole

Quote Originally Posted by JerryWest
    You get negged because you are an asshole
    I don't even know you or recall ever interacting with you, however, the fact that you seem to think you know all about me is very telling.

I'm a good guy, I donate my time to kids and despite growing up around gangs and violence I promote peace and education.

Just a suggestion but you should try easing up on people and taking things easy man....all that pent up tension and aggression is bad for your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter

I think they just assume that you are being snobby about chicago or something. People catch feelings around here fast. I grew up in Columbus and played all over. It is actually called that in some areas, I think it's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    I think they just assume that you are being snobby about chicago or something. People catch feelings around here fast. I grew up in Columbus and played all over. It is actually called that in some areas, I think it's cool.
    EXTRA fast. Have you ever played at the cages on OSU campus or any of the rec centers? Some pretty good runs.

Back in the day I messed around and played against a team of NFL stars...it was bananas....we'd catch some U of Cincy players sometimes too.

College superstar

First shot = 3 pointer, worth 3.

FG's: 2 points

3FG's: 3 points

FT: From FT Line, worth 1 point each, up to 3 after every made FG.First FT made in the game is worth 2 points. Make all 3 and it's your ball again. Miss, and the ball goes to the man who rebounds it.

Tip-ins: Reset to 0 if at or below 11. Reset to 11 if above 11. Player that tips it in gets 2 points and FT's.

To win: Get to exactly 21 and make a 3 after. If you're at 20 and you're not taking FT's... you're back at 15. If you miss your 3, you're back at 15. If you miss your 3 and it gets tipped in, you're at 0.

No out of bounds.
    Last edited by scm5; 03-27-2013 at 11:51 AM.

NBA Superstar

Anyone ever play 32? I feel like I've read about that here. I played that last night for the first time. It consisted of:

-Game to 32
    -Every basket is two points (regardless of whether it's behind the arc or not)
    -No free throws or free threes
    -Every score leads to a re-check and continuation of play
    -Last guy who shoots is expected to defend whoever garners the rebound

Maybe it's because I'd worked out just before, or because I'm in bad shape or something, but 32 exhausted me. The defense was mediocre enough to shred, but I had to work for it, so it was a lot of repetitious hard attacks, over and over. And with three pointers offering no bonus, it was tough to get a breather on the heels of making someone respect the risk of letting me score an extra point.

Then having to be the guy to defend after I missed, particularly if it was against another player who hadn't been guarding me to begin with (so they were a little fresh)...it was like playing 1-on-1 to 16 by all ones.

Where I live, we play something similar called 50. 3 pt shots are 10 pts, everything else is 5 pts. After you make a shot, you shoot uncontested FTs or 3s until you hit 50. After that, you have to break ice with a 3. If you succeed, you challenge someone to guard you. If you score in that possession, you eliminate them and you challenge another again with the same rules.You ccan't score in the paint on the last challenge. If you succeed, you win.

Throughout the game, opposing players can do put backs. This must be done before landing back on the ground. Players who got put back get reduced to zero, get their ice unbroken, or get eliminated depending on the points they have. One handed put backs equal to elimination regardless of points or ice. Players who are eliminated can get back in by catching an airball and then scoring. You can't get back in if you have been eliminated by a one handed put back or have been eliminated 3 times.

21 is like a little kid game

Everyone out here plays 32

Game starts with someone breaking from the 3pt line, he scores, he checks the ball and it's a 1on1 situation with everyone else hanging around the rim just talking n messing around. It's always live basketball, not sitting around watching a dude shoot.

Everything is worth 2pts, if you shoot a three it's worth 3pts. Some people play straight up, others play where you gotta take the ball behind 3pt arc to reset the game before you shoot. If you shoot and miss, you have to guard whoever got the rebound. Driving is dangerous though because you can get past your defender and then get to the rim with 5 guys waiting for you to swat your shot.

Usually only play when there's an odd number of guys or if no one plays like playing a real game. 32 is more laid back hanging out cracking jokes with basketball as a background noise type of deal.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspah
    21 is like a little kid game

Everyone out here plays 32

Game starts with someone breaking from the 3pt line, he scores, he checks the ball and it's a 1on1 situation with everyone else hanging around the rim just talking n messing around. It's always live basketball, not sitting around watching a dude shoot.

Everything is worth 2pts, if you shoot a three it's worth 3pts. Some people play straight up, others play where you gotta take the ball behind 3pt arc to reset the game before you shoot. If you shoot and miss, you have to guard whoever got the rebound. Driving is dangerous though because you can get past your defender and then get to the rim with 5 guys waiting for you to swat your shot.

Usually only play when there's an odd number of guys or if no one plays like playing a real game. 32 is more laid back hanging out cracking jokes with basketball as a background noise type of deal.
    Man, that does not sound like my 32 experience at all. Maybe because we only had three players. But it felt non-stop to me, even without going 110%. I felt like I was driving or defending continuously with no breaks. Sometimes I settled for a jumper just to try to get some of my wind back. I suppose if there was, say, 7 guys, the possessions may have been more variable, which could have helped.

Still, I believe I prefer 21 at this point because the occasional breaks allow for stronger pushes during gameplay. Also, the compact scoring total (21 by 3's, 2's, and 1's) seems to up the stakes a little. By the time I had 28 points in a game of 32, my legs were dead, as if I were finishing up a series of sprints - though I guess that could be a good thing. Still, 21 seems to allow me to go hard while still having a bit of fun. Three person 32 (aka two-man one-on-one to 16 by all 1's) was a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Man, that does not sound like my 32 experience at all. Maybe because we only had three players. But it felt non-stop to me, even without going 110%. I felt like I was driving or defending continuously with no breaks. Sometimes I settled for a jumper just to try to get some of my wind back. I suppose if there was, say, 7 guys, the possessions may have been more variable, which could have helped.

Still, I believe I prefer 21 at this point because the occasional breaks allow for stronger pushes during gameplay. Also, the compact scoring total (21 by 3's, 2's, and 1's) seems to up the stakes a little. By the time I had 28 points in a game of 32, my legs were dead, as if I were finishing up a series of sprints - though I guess that could be a good thing. Still, 21 seems to allow me to go hard while still having a bit of fun. Three person 32 (aka two-man one-on-one to 16 by all 1's) was a chore.
    Obviously, more people playing means less boards/less possessions so you'd be able to chill around the rim more often. When there's only 3 people you will definitely require more energy. However, it only becomes a dog fight if everyone's missing and no one can get buckets. If someone is consistently making shots, you'll end the game in 10-15min.

With all that being said though, basketball is a very active sport. If you aren't tired, you aren't playing correctly. 32 with three people will almost always have a lull somewhere in the middle where everyone is feeling dogged, and it'll result in dudes just shooting 3's as they take the ball back.

We play Kings round these parts

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspah
    Obviously, more people playing means less boards/less possessions so you'd be able to chill around the rim more often. When there's only 3 people you will definitely require more energy. However, it only becomes a dog fight if everyone's missing and no one can get buckets. If someone is consistently making shots, you'll end the game in 10-15min.

With all that being said though, basketball is a very active sport. If you aren't tired, you aren't playing correctly. 32 with three people will almost always have a lull somewhere in the middle where everyone is feeling dogged, and it'll result in dudes just shooting 3's as they take the ball back.
    Truth. I think that last sentence was probably the biggest issue. We played all 1's, so I felt it was likely never the right choice to settle for a three pointer, particularly since I was succeeding on the drive. So it was just a ton of successive hard attacks in a row and if I did settle for a J, and I missed it, I was right back on defense with no one else stepping up to help. That was my struggle there.

But otherwise, you're on the money. It'd have undoubtedly been a ton easier with more players.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

At our gym tap backs restart you at 0. If you go over 21 and lets say you score, you are at 22 and get busted... and start at 0. Some kid in my gym had this rule (I don't know why we followed it that one time). At our gym no one really plays anything beside half court or full court games.