Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Raptors 2015 Offseason Thread

Theres no offseason thread yet, so I've decided to make one for more Raptor discussion.

The Raptors offseason so far has included:

- Masai keeping Dwayne Casey on as head coach. One has to wonder if he is following the same path as BC. BC started very strong in his tenure with the Raptors and slowly because worse and worse, Masai so far has followed the same path. However, they are very different in philosophies (Masai loves younger guys and draft picks).

- The D-League team will be an asset at the Raptors disposal this upcoming season. Good news for the development of Bruno, Bebe, and DeAndre Daniels.

- Rumors are circulating on the next assistant coaches of the Toronto Raptors. One has to think that Casey is on a short leash because of this previous season. Whoever Masai chooses to hire may be taking over as head coach of the Toronto Raptors. Reading over rumor sites Monty Williams is a candidate

- Raptors own the 20th pick in the draft and have some flexibility. Will Amir, Lou, or Psycho T be kept? If not who stays and who goes? Will the Raptors still maintain the depth that they had this past year? If looks as if Lou will be over priced, so who will the Raptors add if they need bench schoring.

Possible UFA the Raptors could chase:

- Their own

- Demarre Carroll - Turned into an excellent 3 and D player for the Hawks and will defend top wing players for the Raptors. I think he'll get a big payday, but the Raptors need a guy who can stop the ball and contribute something on the offensive end. He's in for a big payday, so I don't know if the Raptors can afford him, but we all know the Raptors need a Demarre Carroll on the team

- Wes Matthews - The guy ended his season will an Achilles injury, this could turn some teams away. Again the Raptors need a 3 and D player and since he is recovering from tough injury he could he be had for a lower rate than some other 3 and D players given the length of contract.

- Danny Green - I think this is the guy that the Raptors should go after. He's long shoots well and defends extremely well for his position. Sometimes he has mental lapses on both sides of the court, but he makes up for it with excellent defence and the ability to spread the floor. Since he wasn't advertised very well on the Spurs I think he can be a hidden gem of this UFA corps.

- Jeremy Lin - If the Raps lose Lou, Jeremy Lin can come in and provide a spark off the bench. He didn't have a bad year with his limited minutes, although he didn't have great averages. Possibly a cheap way of getting offence off the bench.

- KJ McDaniels - After a hot start on the 76ers, he struggled to get minutes on the Rockets. He's a RFA, so unlike the other options on this list Houston can match the offer. If you offer him a 3 million dollar contract does Houston even think about keeping him given their history of trying to get the top free agents.

- Brandon Wright - Long, athletic, and will defend. He won't take much offence away from DeMar or Lowry. He would be an excellent addition for the depth of this team.

- Marreese Speights - He has improved on that Warriors team and can be a spark on the bench. With the Raptors possibly losing Lou, I could see him being a good option if they want to replace Lou's bench scoring.

- Jordan Hill - He is on a team option, but the Lakers will likely cut his option. He could be a good option off the bench as a energy type of player. He has a good mid range game and just needs more effort in his play.

Questions Masai will need to answer:

- Who do we keep from our FA? Who do we sign as UFA or RFA?

- How much confidence does he have in Ross? Does he believe in Ross like the Warriors believed in Harrison Barnes? Or is Ross tradable to other teams?

- Who is picked at #20 overall? Will it be a project (ie. Bruno)? Or will he go with a proven college player?

- Who are the assistant coaches going to be?

- How to address the Raptors awful defence?

- How to re-sign Lou or replace Lou?
    Last edited by kmart; 06-04-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Default Re: Raptors 2015 Offseason Thread

Marc Stein
    @ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say that, in advance of Thursday's draft, Minnesota has made former No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett available via trade 9m

Does Ujiri bite? He has stated that he wants a Canadian on the Raptors' roster.

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    Marc Stein
    @ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say that, in advance of Thursday's draft, Minnesota has made former No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett available via trade 9m

Does Ujiri bite? He has stated that he wants a Canadian on the Raptors' roster.
    That would be cool. He should go for it. It's a no lose scenario. Bennett pans out and becomes a serviceable NBAer or he sucks and no one gets mad at Ujiri because Bennett is a fellow countryman.

Stacking this team with young Canadian talent would be a very good idea for notoriety and publicity here at home. People would love to cheer for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    That would be cool. He should go for it. It's a no lose scenario. Bennett pans out and becomes a serviceable NBAer or he sucks and no one gets mad at Ujiri because Bennett is a fellow countryman.

Stacking this team with young Canadian talent would be a very good idea for notoriety and publicity here at home. People would love to cheer for them.
    In theory, bringing the hometown kid home seems to be a good idea. It does raise some eyebrows if Masai will be adding a Canadian to the roster due to his nationality and not his basketball skill.

I am in the mind that Masai only has interest in players that will contribute to the team now or in the future. From what I've seen with Masai loves to fill out his roster with 15 players and every roster spot counts, whether it be for a player now or in the future. The question is does Masai think that Bennett will be a serviceable NBA player in the future and I don't think he does.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ns-in-earnest/

[QUOTE]Let the Masai Ujiri era begin.

The Toronto Raptors general manager

Also reading that Kyle, DeMar, and Jonas are all available for a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Also reading that Kyle, DeMar, and Jonas are all available for a trade.
    It would take a overpayment to get those players from Masai. He loves to get the most he can out of a deal.

Raptors get a D-League team in Mississauga. Great news for Bebe, Bruno, Daniels, and our 20th overall pick this year.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...is-season.html

Raptors will have approximately 26 million to spend in free agency this year and they'll need a PF, if they choose not to retain Amir.

I'm still not convinced they'll keep Lou either, considering the focus on defence this year.

Lou is as good as gone. I can see Amir coming back for a team friendly price.

I like the rookies we got at the range we drafted them. Masai with solid work once again.

Gonna miss General Grevious' swagger, but not his high risk, high reward shot selections.

David West is a name to keep an eye on. After Paul Pierce did what he did to the Raptors, a battle proven veteran is something that the Raptors desire. He just recently opted out of his contract with the Pacers. I think a two year deal with West would be optimal for both sides to maximize the value that West has remaining in his career.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    David West is a name to keep an eye on. After Paul Pierce did what he did to the Raptors, a battle proven veteran is something that the Raptors desire. He just recently opted out of his contract with the Pacers. I think a two year deal with West would be optimal for both sides to maximize the value that West has remaining in his career.

I'd love to sign West, after Millsap and possibly Monroe he would be my target.

I'd also like to go after a Marcus Thornton or somebody like that who can provide 2nd unit scoring as I believe that Lou Will will be too pricey.

Corey Brewer as a wing defender is somebody I like aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
    I'd love to sign West, after Millsap and possibly Monroe he would be my target.

I'd also like to go after a Marcus Thornton or somebody like that who can provide 2nd unit scoring as I believe that Lou Will will be too pricey.

Corey Brewer as a wing defender is somebody I like aswell.
    I like the idea of Millsap, however I think the term of the deal would be undesirable for the Raptors. This will probably be the last time Millsap can maximize his earnings, so look for a 4 year deal in the ballpark of 13-15 million. For the Raptors, the addition of Millsap will take them out of the KD sweepstakes.

I like the idea of Thornton on the 2nd unit and Corey Brewer/3&D type of player. I am assuming that Masai will be looking for defensive minded players to improve on a awful defence last year.

Local High School Star

Question : If the NBDL team and summer league team are essentially one and the same for arguement sake

[COLOR="Red"]1) Would you bring back Landry Fields ??? [/COLOR]

(obviously not at that money but think of potential roster open spots)

2) Cedric or Hansborough ? Both ?

Recalling the collective requires something like 14 roster spots......and ...

Tie-ing this thread into the Summer Team (Kmart) thread:

Perhaps Lou's money is coming from Vasquez contract.

Amir likely to be back on a cap friendly deal?

I assume we then also keep one of Cedric or Tyler

If this line up ends up being the core of the NBDL team - that leaves us 5 ~ 6 full roster spots open to fill :

(1) Vasquez (2) Bruno (3) Bebe (4) Landry Fields (5) one of Cedric or Tyler and (7) back up PG if Delon doesnt make the big team.

Local High School Star

Dear Masai :

As a huge Raptor fan interested in the development and depth of this team over the long term as a perennial power ; thanks for what you have done.

Given the off season and potential FA signings I hope you will at least consider offers to any of the following for the "big team roster" with the DL league team obviously opening...

These guys may not be our starters but they appear to be great roster additions in my opinion.

1) Alan Anderson. Quality player / quality man and clutch performer. Obviously no longer a starter - the type of guy to help Demar and more importantly Tross develop

2) Ed Davis. Former Raptor appears to have unused potential. Nice to have a true banger production at the 4 spot

3) Tristan Thompson Canadian 4 ~ if he would consider leaving Cleveland. Clearly a lot of potential issues here in terms of cap flex, matching, front end loading, etc... but worth exploratory discussions.

4) Richard Jefferson.. his shooting the past 2- 3 years is something like 39% I get the d first mentality but his combo of shot selection and high percentage means we need to talk to the guy.