Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

added

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

Group 2:
    Gregg Popovich
    Alonzo Mourning

Group 3:
    Elton Brand - Clippers

Group 4:
    Jrue Holiday
    Eddie Jones
    Andre Iguodala

Group 5:
    Andre Miller
    Jamal Crawford
    Theo Ratliff

Group 6:
    Thabo Sefelosha
    Serge Ibaka

Group 7:
    Maurice Peterson
    Steve Novak
    Craig Smith

Depth Chart:

CE: Alonzo Mourning | Theo Ratliff
    PF: Elton Brand | Serge Ibaka | Craig Smith
    SF: Andre Iguodala | Thabo Sefelosha | Steve Novak
    SG: Eddie Jones | Jamal Crawford | Mo Peterson
    PG: Jrue Holiday | Andre Miller

I just love the defense of this team with essentially the entire starting unit. Brand is good for 20 or so a night on 50% shooting. Bench has a nice combination of defense and offense as Ratliff and Ibaka are good shot blockers and Thabo may be the pest perimeter defender in the association. Crawford and Rhino provide the offense while Andre is a savvy vet.

Pop could probably tailor Holiday to play like Parker as well
    Last edited by qrich; 04-04-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Saw a basketball once troyceps33's Avatar

Going with Option B

Group 2:
    Chris Paul
    Shawn Kemp

Group 3:
    Jerry Sloan

Group 4:
    Vlade Divac
    Toni Kukoc
    Paul George

Group 5:
    Tyson Chandler
    Hedo Turkgolu
    Andre Miller

Group 6:
    Serge Ibaka
    Tony Allen

Group 7:
    Ramon Sessions
    Earl Clark

Jerry Sloan

Divac/Chandler
    Kemp/Ibaka
    Kukoc/Turkgolu/Clark
    George/Allen
    Paul/Miller/Sessions

pg - Hinrich(6)/Terry(5)
    sg - Roy(4)/Cooper(6)/Korver(6)
    sf - Detlef(4)/Dandridge(5)/korver(6)/Novak(7)
    pf - Horace(5)/Horry(5)/Novak(7)
    c - Hakeem(1)/Bradley(7)

Coach: Adleman(4)

IDK if it's the best team, but I like it.

I think this is the first team made with option 1 picks and I kinda just chose Hakeem and went from there. I've always thought that the skill set Hakeem brought would allow him to be just as effective today as he would have been in early times (I don't think players were worse, it's just that the current rules discourage post play and conversely encourage dribble drive play to such a degree that it almost makes it not worth it to start a team with a center and to just get a Tyson Chandler type later IMO).

I know this team doesn't have as many defensive stopper types that most teams of these nature have, but I also think mine would have a better balance overall on offense and defense that a lot of those teams tend to lack. I've noticed a tendency to overrate defense in these drafts and pick a lot of stopper types under (what I presume) the assumption that the offense will take care of itself. I think having a good flowing halfcourt offense helps on the defensive side too. It limits fast break opportunities for the opposition and allows you to establish your halfcourt d.

I've always thought highly of Adleman and think he might have been undervalued in where he was placed. He generally seems to have his teams overachieve and I think he would do well with this team.

I've also think that Hinrich was a good pg to match with a more ball dominate shooting guard (Roy was pretty ball dominate and worked better with Steve Blake as opposed to Andre Miller)

I think Dandridge is a sleeper pick and I almost want to start him over Detlef (Detlef's shooting range is what tilts it his way). I know it cause no one knows about him (I really don't either), but from what I gather he was a good player, maybe like a Loul Deng level perhaps (who was a tier above him)?

I know it's kinda redundant (and prevented me from getting a better back for Hakeem, but hes gonna play like 40+ mins anyway so whatever) I like the idea of having both novak and korver. I think that in limited minutes having two guys on the floor that can drain threes like layups could give teams fits (especially if teamed up with Detlef). A Hakeem-Novak-Detlef-korver-Roy lineup would be hard to defend in spurts, plus Hakeem's are defensive impact is good enough to mitigate the defensive issues that lineup might cause.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Stop hating on Reggie! I'll put one together tomorrow sometime.

I love these threads. It makes logging on here almost worthwhile. I did two teams, using each method, and didn't use any of the same players twice:

Team 1:
    Shaq 1
    David West 4
    Steph Curry 4
    Eddie Jones 4
    Byron Scott 5
    Kendall Gill 5
    JR Smith 5
    Horace Grant 5
    Brad Miller 6
    Bruce Bowen 6
    Jason Williams 6
    Larry Sanders 7
    Ramon Sessions 7

The idea behind this team was to surround Shaq with as much shooting as possible and give him room to destroy his man in single coverage. I was very happy to find Byron Scott a.k.a. The Point Guard Whisperer in Tier 5 as he is just the man to give Steph Curry the right balance of freedom and direction to run the show:

PG Curry/Jason Williams/Sessions
    SG Eddie Jones/JR Smith/Bowen
    SF Kendall Gill/JR Smith/Bowen
    PF David West/Brad Miller/Horace Grant/Sanders
    C Shaq/Brad Miller/Sanders

Offensively, there's no one you can leave on the perimeter, with Curry, Eddie and Gill all being threats from long range. David West plays his award winning role as "David West" and works the high post, shooting open 15 footers. If Gill is having one of his brick-laying games, JR Smith is ready and waiting. Jason Williams, while a decent 3 point shooter, is moreso included as a reliable backup who can find all these shooters and push the break. Brad Miller I envisage playing at least 10 minutes per game with Shaq because of his excellent passing from the high post.

Defensively, two of the best ballhawks of all time are at the 2 and 3 - Bowen is around if someone needs to wrestled for a half or kicked in the mouth (he can also pot his trademark corner 3's). Shaq patrols the paint. West, Horace and Sanders are all very good defenders - they can play in Miller's place if the matchup requires it. Sanders in round 7 is a steal.

Sessions included as the backup's backup incase Steph's plasticine ankle gives way. Byron had him playing some good ball in Cleveland in 2011

Team 2:
    GP 2
    Chris Webber 2
    Ben Wallace 3
    George Karl 4
    Jalen Rose 4
    Drazen Petrovic 4
    Tyson Chandler 5
    Jason Terry 5
    Mookie Blaylock 5
    Tony Allen 6
    Anderson Varejao 6
    Robin Lopez 7
    Damon Jones 7

No real theme but a bunch of dudes who I could see George Karl getting a ton out of. He's reunited with GP, who is the best two-way point guard I have ever seen. I've intentionally paired him with Webber, who's career was arguably disappointing despite career averages of 21-10, because I think GP is just the man to push him and keep him focused. Rose, his childhood buddy, is on the roster for this reason, too.

PG GP/Mookie/Damon Jones
    SG Petrovic/Jason Terry
    SF Jalen Rose/Tony Allen
    PF Webber/Varejao/Lopez
    C Wallace/Chandler/Lopez

Offensively, I see it working similarly to how it did with the 96 Sonics, with GP using his size and skill to bully other point guards. Petrovic, one of the greatest shooters of all time, and Rose (career .355), are the floor spacers. Webber is the focal point inside, working the high and low blocks as a richman's Kemp or Baker on Karl's old Sonics & Bucks teams. Wallace is richman's Kenneth Faried, who Karl has coached into a monster, and Chandler does the same things: rolls hard, dunks lobs. Benchwise, it's a guard's show with Mookie and Terry carrying the load - I'm not thrilled about the bench scoring on this team so I figure the starter's would have to be staggered, to ensure enough firepower was kept on the floor. Varejao, I feel, is underrated as an offensive player, and he could be handy working the P&R with Terry

Defensively, this is a tough group. It's 48 minutes of hell for the opposing PG with GP and Mookie. Wallace, Chandler and Varejao is about the most energetic, tough and mean big man combo I can think of. Rose played for some great Pacer defenses and held his own. There are question marks on Webber, but he has Wallace and Chandler to lean on, and Petro and Terry, which is why Tony Allen is on the team. If someone starts going off, Tony goes in.

Damon Jones and Robin Lopez are both solid players and amusing bench cheerleaders.
    Last edited by 32MJ32; 04-05-2013 at 01:39 AM.

1 from group 1: MJ

3 from group 4: Larry Bird
    Marc Gasol
    Iguodala

4 from group 5: Blaylock
    Horry
    Doug Christie
    Andre Miller

3 from group 6: Asik
    Bruce Bowen
    Shane Battier

2 from group 7: Steve Novak
    Eddie House

Coach: Larry Bird
    Starters:
    PG Andre Miller
    SG MJ
    SF Iguodala
    PF Shane Battier
    C Marc Gasol
    Bench: Blaylock, Horry, Christie, Steve Novak, Eddie House, Asik

Larry Bird as a coach is good enough to reach the NBA finals, losing to the MJ-led Bulls. the rest of the roster is composed of players that would complement MJ. hard nosed defenders that can pass and shoot plus shooters like Steve Novak, Eddie House, and Big Shot Rob. a rotation of Marc Gasol and Asik at center is something MJ never had. granted Rodman is better than both. and while Pippen may be irreplaceable, Bowen, Battier, and Christie aren't too shabby themselves. Running the point is Andre Miller and Blaylock.

this team is a defensive powerhouse (the entire roster is a defensive beast) with great passers and shooters, modelled like the positionless team Miami is. aside from Asik and Gasol, most everybody can switch defensive positions with ease.

you telling me MJ won't steamroll any team with this roster? hell, he can even beat any of 3 peat Bulls team even if he went against a version of himself in those teams.

having MJ alone should be enough. but having this team that would destroy defensively and give you matchup nightmares and deadly shooters? lololol.
    Last edited by I<3NBA; 04-05-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

John Stockton (2)/ Bobby Jackson(6)/ Chucky Atkins (7)
    Dale Ellis (3)/ Michael Cooper (6)/ Bobby Jackson (6)
    James Worthy (2)/ Ricky Pierce (5)/ Michael Cooper (6)
    Larry Nance (4)/ Horace Grant (5)/ Kurt Rambis (7)
    Vlade Divac (4)/ Mark Eaton (5)

Coach: Lenny Wilkins

I love this team. I have James Worthy and Larry Nance to wreak havoc in the post, Dale Ellis and Vlade Divac to open up space and Stockton to orchestrate it all. The best 6th guy of the 80's to provide offensive boost off the bench if needed and some pretty decent defenders and clutch players too. Not to mention a very good coach.

P.S. Kblaze, you forgot Fat Lever, Walter Davis, Orlando Woolridge, Purvis Short, and Paul Westhead as a group 7 coach ;)
    Last edited by Kovach; 04-06-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    Group 2: Patrick Ewing, Kevin Durant
    Group 3: Kyrie Irving
    Group 4: Tom Thibodeau, Paul George, Joakim Noah
    Group 5: OJ Mayo, JR Smith, Richard Jefferson
    Group 6: Ibaka, Kirk Hinrich
    Group 7: Larry Sanders, Novak

Coach: Thibs
    PG: Kyrie Irving
    SG: Paul George
    SF: Kevin Durant
    PF: Joakim Noah
    C: Patrick Ewing

Bench
    G: OJ Mayo, JR Smith, Kirk Hinrich
    F/C: Richard Jefferson, Steve Novak, Ibaka, Larry Sanders

I like this team. I was gonna do my second team built around Durant/Ewing as well.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Aussie Outcast's Avatar

Thibs as Coach

Ewing / Nene / Rambis
    Larry Nance / Ibaka
    Durant / Hedo
    Brandon Roy / Jamal Crawford
    Steph Curry / Kirk Hinrich / Alvin Williams

Long, Athletic and Versatile Players everywhere.

Can play either slow or fast with this group with a great mix of shooting, passing, size as well as having great rim defenders and a couple of lock down defenders on the perimeter coming off the bench.

Thibs gets alot out of his players and teachers them to play tough as well as together.

(2) Phil Jackson
    (2) Kevin Durant

(3) Dennis Rodman

(4) Andrew Bynum
    (4) Andre Iguodala
    (4) Peja Stojakovic

(5) Andre Miller
    (5) Michael Redd
    (5) Tyson Chandler

(6) Jason Williams
    (6) Aaron Affalo

(7) Larry Sanders
    (7) Eddie House

Head Coach: Phil Jackson

PG: Andre Miller, Jason Williams, Eddie House

SG: Andre Iguodala, Michael Redd, Aaron Afflalo

SF: Kevin Durant, Peja Stojakovic

PF: Dennis Rodman, Larry Sanders

C: Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler

Coach: Rick Adelman (4)

Starters:

Scottie Pippen (2)
    Brandon Roy (4)
    Kevin Durant (2)
    Larry Nance (4)
    Dikembe Mutombo (3)

Bench:

Andre Miller (5)
    Dell Curry (6)
    Michael Cooper (6)
    Horace grant (5)
    Tyson Chandler (5)

Ramon Sessions (7)
    Shawn Bradley (7)

lol @ the jay leno entry. i know you testing us

i went 2nd round first.

gimme:
    1) pippen
    2) penny

not worried that either these two could be 1st option. i think supporting cast can handle it.

down to:
    3) harden (notice all guys can break em down off the dribble and my top two guys are solid perimeter defenders)

4) coach: JVG. need someone to check these guys and i always thought he was underrated

5) m. gasol. imagine this guy in the high post with his passing ability. you could run so many high screens off pippen/penny and this guy would be able to slow down the game w/ a legit post game. pippen/penny/harden could easily handle transition. shit, harden is excellent/elite in transition game this year wanna. throw in pippen and penny? mind you penny could run a halfcourt.

6) paul george. threw in another great defender but he has range. can stretch the court, rebound and pass. super mini lebron but i felt he was a steal at this point.

7) millsap. ultimate team player. great transition for his size. monster rebounder. what every team needs. he'll kick it out and re-run the offense. not even worried about rebounds when i have eaton coming up. all my guards are good offensive reboundrs. i'll throw in eaton just to troll.

8) mark eaton. pretty sure he'll gobble up blocks or take charges.

9) horry. in case my team hasn't beaten you into oblivion, horry will be here to stab you.

10) asik. just another guy to block shots and take charges, not back down. he'll grab plenty of o-reb's to go along the way. oh shit, you have trouble gaining rebounds when we're on offense? lulz.

11) rambis. transition monster. didn't back down. this a really pass first team on offense aside from our defensive rotations. this guy would finish and lay the wood on the opposing end.

good luck. ya, i might not have a traditional center to start, but i have some major fill ins and guys who are ready to run.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 04-05-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Ok here's my first one.

Option B

2 Durant
    2 Reed
    3 Manu
    4 Thibs
    4 Roy
    4 AK47
    5 Andre Miller
    5 Terry
    5 Millsap
    6 Kendrick
    6 Tayshaun
    7 Rambis
    7 Boobie

I think Dre is a steal in group 5.

Coach: Thibodeau

PG: Andre Miller / JET
    SG: Roy / Manu / Boobie
    SF: Durant / Tayshaun
    PF: AK47 / Millsap / Rambis
    C: Reed / Perkins

There's everything there.
    Last edited by Jasi; 04-05-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Coach: Byron Scott

Mo Williams/Boobie Gibson
    Jordan/terry
    Peja/Prince/Novak
    J. Smith/Harrington
    Vlade/Chandler/C. Hayes

I got athleticism, defense, shooters and versatility. And of course Jordan my team wins thus far