View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #73
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
5.7 at the rim for Melo, 4.0 for Durant.

Okay...great. Let's say Melo has a better chance to get fouled on those 6 attempts. But what about the other 16 attempts? So Melo is gaining 1.5 chances there, but losing 2 on threes. And losing another 1.5 on shots between 16-23 feet. So if we break it down like you want to. You are already at 2 shots that should be deducted off Melo's total as he shoots 1.5 more shots at the rim, but shoots 3.5 more shots from 16 feet and beyond.

Again, you're not much more likely to get fouled shooting a mid-range than you are shooting a 3.

FTA without FGA are useless. Yes, Melo is taking more shots from long range, but he's also taking roughly 2 more shots at the rim.

I thought everything through, you're the one who clearly didn't and is ignoring the best evidence while desperately trying to angle and save face. Sorry, but I'm not fooled by it.

As far as Melo, I don't think he's a favorite player of the league, or around the league ever since some of his off the court issues in his first 2 seasons, the brawl in '06 or the trade demand. Plus, he's much stronger physically which doesn't help.

I think lebron has also reached the point where he's so dominant that he gets penalized for it compared to Durant, especially since we've never seen a perimeter player like him physically.

Fouls are most likely at the rim, so again, you're dodging the best points as fast as you can.[/quote]

Fouls are more likely to happen at the rim. But they are also less likely to happen from 16 feet out. And the net of that is minus 2 for Melo. Sorry...he takes 4 more shots from 16 feet out per game.

And the shots at the rim are misleading because Melo often goes in out of control and throws the ball up just to get his own miss. But I won't even get into reality.

No, sorry, it's not about fga...it's about how many fga are you taking in which you can or try to draw a foul. Taking all the bad shots Melo and Kobe do...more than makes up for the increased fg attempts.

A player could take 25 shots a game and it wouldn't matter if those extra 7 shots a game were shots in which getting fouled is highly unlikely.

Durant could be more likely to be fouled on long shots...making the difference even bigger there. Not only does he take less, but he's more likely to draw a foul. Same could be said for mid range...etc.

How much better is Durant at drawing fouls? Quantify it. That seems to be missing from your analysis on what Durant does or doesn't deserve.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote