Page 105 of 166 FirstFirst ... 55595102103104105106107108115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2487
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: ☆NBA FA/Trade Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion | Roster

It looks like the Lakers may want to pay 4 head coaches next season and go after Thibodeau
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...artner=ya5nbcs

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    So there's talk of Deandre not happy with the Clippers, M Gasol is a free agent and Love is up in the air... do you package and trade the pick/rights or?

I'm inclined to say no stick with the youth movement even though it could take time to develop and you hope none of them are a bust but a sure thing in a proven vet is always hard to ignore....
    I'm with DD24, I'm not crazy over a one- dimensional player like DJ. I'm also amazed on why Cauley-Stein is rated so high given his limitation on offense. Going back to Deandre, his stocks will depend if they change the rule on hacking and it would also be noted that he might struggle without CP3 AND Griffin's ability to feed him with lob passes.
    I also agree with your views about keeping the pick. Yes, there is the uncertainty but one thing certain is rookie contracts are very cheap relatively speaking, Lakers then can use the much valued $ on free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    It looks like the Lakers may want to pay 4 head coaches next season and go after Thibodeau
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...artner=ya5nbcs
    I hated the way Scott aired the teams dirty laundry in public, bad mouthing his players like Lin and whether you care about the player or not, is beside the point. It might affect how free agents choose their next team. Having said that, I would rather keep him.
    I have monitored Thibs in Chicago. While he is a great defensive coach, I have doubts on his ability to adjust and establish an effective offensive system with multiple options and continuity etc. The Bulls were very stagnant and waay too predictable esp in the playoffs.

There is one other possibility that I prefer not doing but I would consider it.. trade Randle after drafting okafor.. I would only consider it if Towns is taken by twolves. I'm assuming twolves are drafting Towns at this moment.

We would need to get a guard in return for it to be worth it in the grand scheme of things.

The million dollar question for Lakers scouts is whether okafor's game can work out alongside Randle. Offensively it could very well work out because Randle does have some range to make it work a little. That is one strength that Randle has that is great. Only issue I see is freethrow shooting issues with Okafor. Hack-an-Okafur all day baby
    Defensively is entirely different issue. They would get in each others way. I truly don't want them trying to force something to work at the detriment of the team.

So would you trade Julius Randle for a pg like?

NBA lottery pick

I can't think of any PG's on the market. The Pistons might do it for Brandon Jennings if they resign Reggie Jackson. I can't see the Lakers wanting that necessarily, although Jennings was playing lights out once the Pistons got rid of Josh Smith and which allowed Jennings to bring the ball up the court.

NBA lottery pick

Mitch Kupchack was on the Herd on ESPN radio this morning and it was a very interesting interview. Colin asked him some very hard questions. A couple of things really stood out to me. They don't think Clarkson is necessarily a PG. They think he's a guard that can handle the ball but being a play maker for others isn't what his game is. They also don't really think he's an all-star caliber guy. Even Mitch said, he's a guy who played on a really bad team and he got minutes because the team was so depleted. It spoke volumes to what they think about the PG position currently. They do really like the kid though. I just don't think he's necessarily guaranteed to be a starter.

With that said, the other really tough question was if Mitch would be the primary decision maker in the draft and if so were they going to go big or small. Very good questions since we've had those discussions too. Mitch said he would probably be making the decision but an owner always has the right to give an opinion..... It sounds like he'll be getting input from Jimmy but Mitch will have the most influence. He can't comment on specific players but he did say the top two players in the draft were big men and the Lakers have the 2nd pick. It sounds like they are really leaning toward Okafur or Towns. They haven't worked out the guards yet but I think it's a longshot they draft one of them at this point.

Since they are drafting a big, and they aren't certain about Clarkson at PG it could mean they are going after Rondo. Cowherd did ask him that specifically but obviously Mitch can't comment about Rondo. He did say they don't just want to spend their cap space for the sake of spending it but they do want to pursue some good FA's to go with the young guys they will have. They also want space for next off season too. I take it as they will go after Rondo for what they think is the right price.

If you add Randle, Okafur/Towns, Rondo, and Kobe for a full season to this team they aren't going to be that bad. Plus unless they're like they were this season they aren't going to have a 1st rounder next year anyhow. I think it's top 10 protected. May as well be decent this year, have cap space to go after another big FA next year, and then hopefully be in the mix again.

I can see clarkson as a Monta Ellis type. Combo guard who is offensively oriented. Has range and likes to get in the paint. If he became him, wouldn't be a bad outcome at all.

I like kupchaks honesty about him. It's really tough to gauge a player who had a green light on one of the worst teams in the league. It will really show what type of player he is when they put some talent around him and he will have to adjust playing with them.

Still not a fan of rondo. Not just his attitude but decline in play after he tore his ACL. Just hasn't been the same and still living off rep. At a cheap price fine but don't want them to give him a huge chunk of cap.

Next years pick is top 3 protected so pretty much it's gone and we should be better. Hopefully do well enough to not give sixers a great pick lol

Since they are drafting a big, and they aren't certain about Clarkson at PG it could mean they are going after Rondo. Cowherd did ask him that specifically but obviously Mitch can't comment about Rondo. He did say they don't just want to spend their cap space for the sake of spending it but they do want to pursue some good FA's to go with the young guys they will have. They also want space for next off season too. I take it as they will go after Rondo for what they think is the right price.

If you add Randle, Okafur/Towns, Rondo, and Kobe for a full season to this team they aren't going to be that bad. Plus unless they're like they were this season they aren't going to have a 1st rounder next year anyhow. I think it's top 10 protected. May as well be decent this year, have cap space to go after another big FA next year, and then hopefully be in the mix again.
    Interesting. Lots of good info as always, dd.

Oh boy.. If it happens, we are screwed offensively. hack-an-Okafur AND hack-a-Rondo. That might be worse than the Clippers with just DeAndre

I would say that if we get Okafur, Rondo should be off the table. It's not just because of the hack-a-Rondo, but because it would limit us offensively. Okafur/Rondo have very little range, Kobe is very streaky nowadays, Randle has maybe 10ft range, Nick Young is very inconsistent.. Teams would dare us to shoot..

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Interesting. Lots of good info as always, dd.

Oh boy.. If it happens, we are screwed offensively. hack-an-Okafur AND hack-a-Rondo. That might be worse than the Clippers with just DeAndre

I would say that if we get Okafur, Rondo should be off the table. It's not just because of the hack-a-Rondo, but because it would limit us offensively. Okafur/Rondo have very little range, Kobe is very streaky nowadays, Randle has maybe 10ft range, Nick Young is very inconsistent.. Teams would dare us to shoot..
    One thing he did say was he does realize the importance of the 3 pointer today and how the game has changed since 8 years ago. I think everyone knows the top four 3 point shooting teams are in the conference finals.. Every team is looking for those outside shooters now. I think if Kobe had more pieces around him he would be a very consistent outside shooter. He has to create and bail the team out so much that he has to take some hard shots.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    There is one other possibility that I prefer not doing but I would consider it.. trade Randle after drafting okafor.. I would only consider it if Towns is taken by twolves. I'm assuming twolves are drafting Towns at this moment.

We would need to get a guard in return for it to be worth it in the grand scheme of things.

The million dollar question for Lakers scouts is whether okafor's game can work out alongside Randle. Offensively it could very well work out because Randle does have some range to make it work a little. That is one strength that Randle has that is great. Only issue I see is freethrow shooting issues with Okafor. Hack-an-Okafur all day baby
    Defensively is entirely different issue. They would get in each others way. I truly don't want them trying to force something to work at the detriment of the team.

So would you trade Julius Randle for a pg like?
    To be honest, I am still not convinced that Randle will be a very good player. Yes, he has shown to have good handles but he didn't really show that he can really finish strong. Guys like Andray Blatche and Jonathan Bender also had handles but can't finish strong....So, Im ok trading him esp if they can get a very good guard.
    But the hacking rule might change.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Not sure if this is early or late on the news front but in a not so shocking move (whether good or bad) Thibodeau has been fired by the Bulls.

NBA sixth man of the year

I posted this on the main forum, but I thought that this could be useful here as well. Some people are probably wondering how the Lakers can construct a contender with Kobe's last year with the Lakers approaching and still maintain future flexibility to sign Kevin Durant or Russell Westbrook once they hit free agency. Well it's definitely possible. Below are my ideas:

1) Lakers S&T Jordan Hill to the Pacers for George Hill. George has 2 years/8 mill per remaining on his contract which frees up the same year that former UCLA Russell Westbrook becomes a free agent. George brings veteran experience, great 3pt shooting, good ball handing and solid defense needed to mentor the younger Clarkson. The Lakers can throw in the #27 or #34 pick to make it happen.

2) Lakers sign Jahil Okafor or Karl Anthony Towns with #2 draft pick.

3) Lakers sign Jimmy Buter or Kawhi Leonard to max offer sheet expecting either the Bulls or Spurs not to match.

4) Lakers resign Ed Davis, Tarid Black and Wayne Ellington.

5) Lakers sign Tom Thibodeau as a defensive assistant coach

PG: George Hill (8) | Jordan Clarkson (800k)
    SG: Kobe Bryant (25) | Nick Young (5.2) | Wayne Ellington (1)
    SF: Jimmy Butler (16.6) | Ryan Kelly (1.7)
    PF: Julius Randle (3.1) | Ed Davis (1.1)
    C: Jahil Okafor (5) | | Tarid Black (1)

2015-16 salary cap projected at 67 mill

Coaching philosophy:
    Byron Scott implements triangle offense with Tom Thibodeau orchestrating the defense ala 07-10 Celtics.
    Okafor plays the Pau Gasol post scoring role.
    Randle plays the versatile Lamar Odom role of a rebounding/ball handling PF.
    Butler plays the Trevor Ariza/Ron Artest defensive stopper and role and also being the 1st/2nd/3rd scorer.
    Kobe being Kobe.
    Hill playing the Derek Fisher role.
    Boasted bench with Clarkson/Young running showtime break and Davis/Black as workhorses on the glass.

How far would this team go? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by BallsOut; 06-14-2015 at 07:47 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Jordan Clarkson is better than George Hill. I'm not sure why the Lakers would want him. I see Hill as a backup PG.

There's no way the Bulls don't match.

Even if the Lakers do get Okafur, with him and Randle as the main bigs you guys do realize it's going to take a few years for them to be good right? You can't expect two rookies to hold down the front line and have a contender. I do consider Randle a rookie still too.

NBA sixth man of the year

Jordan Clarkson is better than George Hill. I'm not sure why the Lakers would want him. I see Hill as a backup PG.

There's no way the Bulls don't match.

Even if the Lakers do get Okafur, with him and Randle as the main bigs you guys do realize it's going to take a few years for them to be good right? You can't expect two rookies to hold down the front line and have a contender. I do consider Randle a rookie still too.
    Hill's a great 3pt shooter. 37% for his career at a decent volume. Playoff experience in San Antonio and Indiana. Good ball handler and decent defender. Nice wingspan at the 1. Just a guy to help them compete for the next 2 years and help Clarkson develop. I do realize that Randle and Okafor/Towns would be rookies but Okafor is NBA ready and could easily put come in averaging a double double for the Lakers. Randle is more of a wildcard though. We would just need him to fill the Lamar Odom role

NBA lottery pick

Hill came off the bench mostly in San Antonio. It was a great role for him. In Indiana where he was the starter he was the weak link of that team. I think he's a big reason why they couldn't go farther in the playoffs. Indiana has been looking for an upgrade to him for a while.