Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: If Duncan gets that 5th ring....

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Well, one thing is odd, though. Why does the fact that Duncan only won in years during which competition was really down compared to others (except for 05) never get any mention? LeBron gets s.hit on for the fact that his EC path is ridiculously easy but Duncan's runs have got to be some of the easiest WC runs of the last decade.

They would've lost to a healthy Lakers team in 03 and were one in-and-out away from G7. In 07 they faced the mighty Cavs and the Suns went down due to bullsh.it suspensions. In 99 they faced what, KG minny, pre-Phil Lakers and the Ewing-less Knicks? Like seriously guys

BTW I still think Timmy is a Top 7 GOAT and only really really slightly below Kobe. They're interchangeable to me.
    I'm none of the guys who judge players by the path to the finals they have. Imo if you're going to the finals your team is worthy of it. Even the '07 Cavs.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    No one ever mentions any context around what the Spurs or Duncan do..

Tony Parker is putting up 22/7/4 in the playoffs right now and has been their most consistent and best player and he gets no mention.

The Spurs are stacked head to toe with some of the most developed, and talented perimeter talent in the entire league and it gets no mention. When the Spurs bury you its with that perimeter offense and shooting. But you'd never know it looking at the threads on ISH.

And who's to credit for that? Tim Duncan has always been the consummate team player. In '03 Parker and Ginobili were nowhere near what they were eventually going to become. I credit their development to Duncan's unselfishness which allowed Ginobili and Parker to grow and shine right along with him. Other stars of the league (in their prime) would worry about their stats declining or their place in history being diminished but Duncan acclimated his game with Parker and Ginobili with no grumbles or controversy whatsoever.

Meanwhile you still have Kobe in his twilight years volume chucking away, pissing off his teammates, and playing crap defense while his team gets no better. His and Duncan's approach to the game is night and day. Duncan is team first all the time. Kobe is legacy first all the time.

It's a it premature to make any "5th ring" claims just yet, but I must say that Duncan is playing at an elite level right now. His numbers in WCF's, which are very good, don't begin to depict his overall impact. His footprints are all over every aspect of the game right now. The Grizzlies can't score from point-blank range on the offensive end, and they can't figure out how to play Duncan on the defensive end. If they crowd him, he makes a brilliant pass to a wide open cutter, and if they lay off of him, he hits the 15 footer.

This is the best that he has looked in several seasons.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    The Lakers still faced the best competition to come out of the east in the past decade..

04 pistons
    08 celtics
    10 celtics

The rest of the competition has been weak besides maybe the 06 heat.. LA faced the best eastern talent available.
    The '05 defending champion Pistons murder all those teams above with maybe the exception of the '04 Pistons. The '08 Celtics weren't dominant by any stretch. They were taken to 7 games by MUCH weaker teams during their playoff run.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    No disrespect to Cap, but if Duncan has a dominant finish to this run I might give him that edge.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    The '05 defending champion Pistons murder all those teams above with maybe the exception of the '04 Pistons. The '08 Celtics weren't dominant by any stretch. They were taken to 7 games by MUCH weaker teams during their playoff run.
    I'm sorry dude that's just not true.. 04 pistons were the original. One of the greatest D's ever.

And make a thread saying 08 celtics weren't dominant. You'll get laughed out of it. They had all time great Defense and a stacked offense with KG, ray ray, and pierce.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    And who's to credit for that? Tim Duncan has always been the consummate team player. In '03 Parker and Ginobili were nowhere near what they were eventually going to become. I credit their development to Duncan's unselfishness which allowed Ginobili and Parker to grow and shine right along with him. Other stars of the league (in their prime) would worry about their stats declining or their place in history being diminished but Duncan acclimated his game with Parker and Ginobili with no grumbles or controversy whatsoever.

Meanwhile you still have Kobe in his twilight years volume chucking away, pissing off his teammates, and playing crap defense while his team gets no better. His and Duncan's approach to the game is night and day. Duncan is team first all the time. Kobe is legacy first all the time.
    Who do I credit? I credit the entire Spurs organization.

I credit Tony Parker right now for being in contention for best point guard in the league.

I credit popovich for being one of the best coaches of all time the way he develops and integrates throw away talent on his squad.

I credit the best scouting front office in all of basketball and admire the way they pick unselfish team first players(mostly foreign talent) to round out their squads-exact opposite how almost every other front office does it(aka just looking for 'stars'.)

And I also credit Duncan with being one of the best players of all time.. Top 8 GOAT.

I also credit Manu for being a HOF caliber 2 way swing man and the Spurs best crunch time player.

I credit this team for all their parts. You guys just say Duncan.. Even when he hasn't even been their best player in the playoffs.

It's a joke.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Kobe usually out shined Duncan against the Spurs in the playoffs though. You can't compare a big to a small. But if the teams are close give me Kobe over Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    If he wins the Finals MVP.

1 Jordan
    2 Russell
    3 Wilt
    4 Magic
    5 Bird
    6 Kareem
    7 Duncan
    8 Kobe
    9 Shaq
    10 Hakeem
    You have Magic, Bird and Wilt ranked higher than Kareem...? How do people justify having Kareem out of the top 3 MAYBE top 4 all time list? Also... if he doesn't win, that means you have Kobe at 7, Duncan at 8, and Shaq at 9?

Local High School Star

taking in account his last few seasons, it pushes him further up the greatest of his era list, best season record, two western conference appearances, and probably another finals appearance.

hate to be unoriginal but , tim GOATcan.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

duncan has no argument over kobe for player of the era