Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: In their primes: Rod Strickland or Kenny Anderson?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    That season you speak of, he actually made All-NBA 2nd team.
    Yeah, you're right, my mistake. Still, he had a couple of years like that, and only one all-nba team nod and no all-star appearances isn't much to show for it.

Rod was better. He can finish driving through the lane and is stronger than Kenny. Kenny was a better ball handler and that was pretty much it. Kenny just could never shoot. Rod was very underrated and probably one of the best stars that never made it to the All Star team during his Portland and Washington days.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    I'll take Rod but both players underachieved a bit they had potential to be greater.
    Well you have to put things in perspective, Rod and Kenny both played in one the most stacked point guard era in NBA history. There were/are on The All NBA teams, and they had to battle with GP, John Stockton, KJ, Jason Kidd, Penny, Tim Hardaway, Mookie Blaylock, Mark Price, Mark Jackson, Nick Van Exel, Mahmoud Abdul Rauf/Chris Jackson, and Derek Harper. Rod was generally near or at the top of the heap during this time period. Kenny may have underperformed in relation to the amount of hype he received coming out of high school and GA Tech, but neither of these players actually underperformed relative to their potential. Kenny was a great ball handler and distributor who never really flashed the ability to shoot. He worked on it, but did not have a natural knack for it. Kenny not becoming a marksman is not a real surprise. Sometimes players skills do not improve no matter how hard they work at them.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Well you have to put things in perspective, Rod and Kenny both played in one the most stacked point guard era in NBA history. There were/are on The All NBA teams, and they had to battle with GP, John Stockton, KJ, Jason Kidd, Penny, Tim Hardaway, Mookie Blaylock, Mark Price, Mark Jackson, Nick Van Exel, Mahmoud Abdul Rauf/Chris Jackson, and Derek Harper. Rod was generally near or at the top of the heap during this time period. Kenny may have underperformed in relation to the amount of hype he received coming out of high school and GA Tech, but neither of these players actually underperformed relative to their potential. Kenny was a great ball handler and distributor who never really flashed the ability to shoot. He worked on it, but did not have a natural knack for it. Kenny not becoming a marksman is not a real surprise. Sometimes players skills do not improve no matter how hard they work at them.
    I think Kenny Anderson was an underachiever perhaps, but Strickland was perhaps an overachiever. He had some pretty hum drum season in San Antonio before breaking out where he was just another role player. I'm not sure anyone realistically saw him becoming what he became.

Mathius

Decent college freshman

peak anderson: 1997

years strickland was better: 1995, 1996, 1998

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    finisher doesn't necessarily mean dunker. the guy finished dribble drives so consistently... i wouldn't be surprised if his fg% around the rim was in the high 70s. i'm being serious.

people who saw him play a lot will probably be right there with me on this, but... i don't know if i *ever* saw him miss anything inside five feet.
    He was referring to the fact that you said "arguably" and then "in my opinion," implying that you must be schizophrenic if you argue with yourself and/or hold two different opinions on the same subject.

I'd take Strickland. As mentioned, he was a TREMENDOUS finisher around the rim. His outside shot wasn't great, but it was at least Anderson's equal. Passing goes slightly to Anderson. Strick was a better post player, scorer, and finisher.

Apparently Rod Strickland was at a club I was at a couple of months ago for a friend's party. The girl whose birthday it was told me afterwards that she only found out later who he was. He came into the VIP room looking to party and she told him to scram. So then one of her friends told her that that was Rod Strickland. I was like "you idiot!" I would have liked to chat with him.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

I grew up on Kenny, so... Kenny. I'm probably wrong, but I really enjoyed Kenny in his Nets days.

have liked both of them.

But I would want to go with Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I was a huge Kenny guy going back to high school, but it's Strickland and it's not that close even. Kenny just never was able to shoot well enough to force people to come out and guard him so he could blow by. And the knocks on Rod, like the fact that he was considered something of a locker room politician, could all be held against Kenny too, so it's not even like some of the other lesser quality but close guys where you may take a hit on talent for the character stuff.

Kenny was so much fun to watch though. Being a Syracuse fan, I so wanted those Net teams to be good.

Banned

Rod was the better player but Kenny had more swag

Throw It Down Big Guy WRECK!A!NIZE's Avatar

I'll go with Rod.Strangely enough he was the first person to ever dunk on me.
    While I was upset my friend told me he was drafted by the Knicks.He was playing a pick up game (21) in the hood.Late night in the bronx after being drafted to the NBA.real dude right there.

College superstar

"guarunteed to make him jump like rod strickland"

what does this even mean? i dont remember rod strickland for his pump fakes at all.

Rod Strickland was a very talented PG. I am a huge fan of Kenny Anderson. You guys remembers Strickland's circus shot when he played in Washington.

I got Strickland.

I rule the local playground unknowns8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GiveItToBurrito
    Amazing how little respect Rod got. I remember when he was with the Bullets and teaming up with Webber and Howard how he put up, like, 18 and 10 with a decent fg% one year and still didn't make the all-star game.

He also had probably the most disgusting pre-game habit I've ever heard of. Before each game, he'd load up on hot dogs, nachos, McDonald's, and other types of fast food, then occasionally vomit on the sidelines mid-way through the game. Although maybe that explains the all-star and all-nba snubs...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by HisJoeness
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Kenny supposed to be the second coming of Isiah out of high school? But to answer the question I'll roll with Rod by a slim margin.
    He was hugely hyped through high school, partly because of being a New Yorker (and a New York point guard especially), but also because iirc he was breaking some local scoring records and was indeed pretty darned good. I think the most frequent comp was to Nate "Tiny" Archibald.

Anyways Rod was better, mainly due to being a superior finisher at the basket (for Kenny's prime scoring years 93-97 he shot just .419 from the field). Both were aesthetically fun to watch (Kenny's handles and Strick's passing) and both could have used a better jump shot, especially out to the 3 point line.