Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: You can't top Vince carter

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    I swear Vince carter dunk contest is overrated I watched it again the other day...

He was half through the 360 reverse windmill before he left the floor
    His second dunk was the same as the first but from a different angle
    His between the leg dunk (his best dunk) had been done before
    The dunk where put his arm in the rim is his most creative dunk
    Then he did a regular two hand dunk at the end

Javale McGee had some dunks that were better than Vince Carter's

NBA Superstar

I swear Vince carter dunk contest is overrated I watched it again the other day...

Not to be that guy but one must set their feet away from the basket on any 360 attempt. That's how the twist actually occurs. I say give it a shot in your living room. See where your feet are when you prepare your spin jump.

I agree his second dunk was a bit of a repeat. But to be honest, we were all still so buzzed over the first dunk that no one was bothered with seeing it again from a slightly different angle. It felt more like repeated greatness at the time than it did someone just doing the same dunk twice.

No one had ever thrown down a between-the-legs dunk off the bounce, nor off two feet. And it was spectacularly finished to boot.

I liked the elbow dunk too. Incredible at the time. I still love watching it.

Vince was upset with the final jam. It was supposed to be a two-hand dunk from the free throw line and he admitted he was upset with his steps on that one. Still, it was the cherry on top of a wonderful night. It was the furthest anyone had taken off of while finishing with two hands in a contest (until tonight).

The greatness of Carter's contest lies in the spectacular. Each of his dunks had never been executed before (even including the 14'8'' two hand dunk). Sounds silly now, but the between the legs dunk was so rare at that point that no one really thought it was something a player would be able to convert while having the rock passed to him in mid-flight. And the elbow dunk, as we acknowledged, blew everyone's mind.

The cherry on top? He didn't miss a single dunk. And, as we can all probably attest after tonight, that can make a huge difference.

This needs to be done in the dunk contest but as a true 720.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Cg7w_8kkU

Quote Originally Posted by tikay0
    Even though they are decent dunks, no doubting that there is a degree to which the Vince dc is overrated/hyped. Part of the whole thing as severalosters mentioned is the crowd response that makes it seem so crazy. So that 'atmosphere' makes it seem better than it is.

Saw a basketball once

too bad he couldn't do it tonight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilhwb_PFZts

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Not to be that guy but one must set their feet away from the basket on any 360 attempt. That's how the twist actually occurs. I say give it a shot in your living room. See where your feet are when you prepare your spin jump.

I agree his second dunk was a bit of a repeat. But to be honest, we were all still so buzzed over the first dunk that no one was bothered with seeing it again from a slightly different angle. It felt more like repeated greatness at the time than it did someone just doing the same dunk twice.

No one had ever thrown down a between-the-legs dunk off the bounce, nor off two feet. And it was spectacularly finished to boot.

I liked the elbow dunk too. Incredible at the time. I still love watching it.

Vince was upset with the final jam. It was supposed to be a two-hand dunk from the free throw line and he admitted he was upset with his steps on that one. Still, it was the cherry on top of a wonderful night. It was the furthest anyone had taken off of while finishing with two hands in a contest (until tonight).

The greatness of Carter's contest lies in the spectacular. Each of his dunks had never been executed before (even including the 14'8'' two hand dunk). Sounds silly now, but the between the legs dunk was so rare at that point that no one really thought it was something a player would be able to convert while having the rock passed to him in mid-flight. And the elbow dunk, as we acknowledged, blew everyone's mind.

The cherry on top? He didn't miss a single dunk. And, as we can all probably attest after tonight, that can make a huge difference.
    So, but you're saying that lots of people can do dunks better than his now.

Jason Richardson.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Yeah, but he also ended up looking in that same direction...ie he didn't land with his feet facing the rim that he was dunking on, by the time he hit the ground he had properly done a whole 360 turn (well, maybe 320).

Banned

you must not have seen it live

you're probably 15 years old and watched it for the first time on youtube a few years ago while comparing jrichs between the legs to vinces

truth is vinces dunks wouldnt be as exciting in todays nba now after we've seen everything and have nothing to blow our minds anymore after seeing 720s/360 between the legs and between the leg free throw dunks

but at the time.....

vinces dunks....

were the most ground breaking and jaw dropping for the moment...

just hear the crowd. nothing ever matched that reaction

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    vinces dunks....

That's the long and short of it. It was an experience and unfortunately for those who were not able to live through it firsthand, the effect may be lost as the years wear on. Flawless.

Last I checked, no one else has ever jumped over a 7'1 player in a game and dunked. That's IN GAME, so it's no shocker that VC is the best dunker to ever put one down in the dunk contest.

Learning to shoot layups

Jason Richardson had the best dunk contest dunks.
    Vince Carter is the better dunker.
    IMO

Banned

you're probably 15 years old and watched it for the first time on youtube a few years ago while comparing jrichs between the legs to vinces

truth is vinces dunks wouldnt be as exciting in todays nba now after we've seen everything and have nothing to blow our minds anymore after seeing 720s/360 between the legs and between the leg free throw dunks

but at the time.....

vinces dunks....

Precisely. If you didn't witness it live, you just don't know......

The bounce pass, through the legs was AMAZING, still is today.

You guys are also forgetting the style factor. When he would wind up for a dunk, he had his arms stretched out like he was palming a nerf ball.

And as you mentioned, he actually executed the dunks on his first try. That's HUGE.
    Last edited by tikay0; 02-17-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Agree....the 2000 dunk contest is the GOAT and obviously Vince is the GOAT dunker the league has ever seen.

What people don't remember about the 2000 dunk contest was that it was a SHOW! Steve Francis and T-Mac also stepped it up.....both had dunks that would have won it any other year. Ya everyone remembers Vince but if you watch the whole thing again, it was a good show.

but at the time.....

vinces dunks....

Actually I'm 25 and I did see it live. I'm speaking on the dunks he performed more so than how hype the crowd was.