Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sam Cassell 8 second violation in 2006 playoffs

The best part is him smiling while dribbling right into the 8 second violation and then watching his smile turn into a shocking discovery.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    If you find the full sequence, then you could just look to the game clock to see the tenths of a second.
    I just found the full game. It looks like from 39.0 left in the game to 30.1 when the whistle blows for the violation. So roughly 8.9 seconds.

The Clippers got the rebound and somehow took 2.5 seconds to call a timeout Then Cassell f*cked up.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Since the clock doesn't show tenths of a second, a ref really can't be sure about 8 seconds until the clock shows 15.

24.0 down to 16.0 is 8 seconds, but the clock shows 16 when there's 16.9 seconds left.

Edit: Just watched the video and the shotclock still says 16. I bet if you find the full sequence and time it out with a stopwatch it won't be 8 seconds.
    That's not how the shot clock works.
    In that case the red light would come up only 1 second after the clock hits zero.
    If i remember correctly, shot cluck runs out as soon as the clock hits zero.
    And I think when the clock is reset it shows 24 for a whole second, and doesn't switch to 23 right after a millisecond...

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

I just found the full game. It looks like from 39.0 left in the game to 30.1 when the whistle blows for the violation. So roughly 8.9 seconds.

The Clippers got the rebound and somehow took 2.5 seconds to call a timeout Then Cassell f*cked up.
    Really? My bad. I swear I remember it being less than 8 seconds. Maybe my recollection is turning awry.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Was this the same game/series where one of the Suns players hit a huge 3 pointer over the Clippers back up PG (Ewing I think his last name was) and Sam Cassell WENT OFF at him on the sideline near the end of the game. Elton Brand was a monster in the series as well I remember him just beasting the likes of Amare, Marion and Diaw.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Was this the same game/series where one of the Suns players hit a huge 3 pointer over the Clippers back up PG (Ewing I think his last name was) and Sam Cassell WENT OFF at him on the sideline near the end of the game. Elton Brand was a monster in the series as well I remember him just beasting the likes of Amare, Marion and Diaw.
    Great memory. Yes Daniel Ewing defending Raja Bell extremely well and the dude drained an ice cold 3 from the corner in his face to pretty much win the game.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Really? My bad. I swear I remember it being less than 8 seconds. Maybe my recollection is turning awry.
    Here's the link to that part of the game. 2 minutes in Marion is shooting free throws with 39 seconds left.

I think the commercial break messed with your memory a bit. Rebound, 2.5 seconds come off, commercials and shit, then inbounds. It's odd.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Here's the link to that part of the game. 2 minutes in Marion is shooting free throws with 39 seconds left.

I think the commercial break messed with your memory a bit. Rebound, 2.5 seconds come off, commercials and shit, then inbounds. It's odd.
    Wait, the time before the timeout counts toward the 8 seconds?

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by fefe
    That's not how the shot clock works.
    In that case the red light would come up only 1 second after the clock hits zero.
    If i remember correctly, shot cluck runs out as soon as the clock hits zero.
    And I think when the clock is reset it shows 24 for a whole second, and doesn't switch to 23 right after a millisecond...
    That's exactly how the clock works. If the clock was on 24 for a full second then it would be a 25 second shot clock.

The tenths of a second show up when you hit 9.9 seconds left on it, which lets you see it run down to 0.0.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Wait, the time before the timeout counts toward the 8 seconds?
    Yeah because they had possession. I just checked the 05-06 rule book. http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2005-06.pdf

[quote]b. The 24-second clock is never reset on technical fouls and/or delay-of-game warnings called on the offensive team.

c. The 24-second clock shall be reset to 24 seconds anytime the following occurs:

(1) Change of possession
    (2) Ball from the playing court contacting the basket ring of the team which is in possession
    (3) Personal foul where ball is being inbounded in backcourt
    (4) Violation where ball is being inbounded in backcourt
    (5) Jump balls which are not the result of a held ball caused by the defense (6) All flagrant and punching fouls

d. The 24-second clock shall remain the same as when play was interrupted or reset to 14 seconds, whichever is greater, anytime the following occurs:

(1) Personal foul by the defense where ball is being inbounded in frontcourt
    (2) Defensive three-second violation
    (3) Technical fouls and/or delay-of-game warnings on the defensive team
    (4) Kicked or punched ball by the defensive team with the ball being inbounded in the offensive team

Why does it seem like so many of the most memorable moments in the past decade of NBA playoffs were either against/for the old run and gun Suns. I miss my team... f*** Robert Sarver, from the minute he took over he completely destroyed an exciting, premier team piece by piece and now all that's left is memories.

Aside from Dragic, and solid play from veterans Scola and Jermaine O'Neal who are old and wont be part of the future of the franchise anyways, I have nothing but mediocrity to look forward to in the near future unless the Suns can get lucky in the draft or pull off some amazing moves in trades/free agency(yeah right). And it's all thanks to Sarver letting star players go left and right for basically nothing, trading draft picks for cash. I'm tired of his cheap ass caring more about penny pinching than putting together a playoff bound team. Nobody wants to see losers like Beasley and Shannon Brown chuck up the ball every time it touches their hands and miss 70% of their shots until the 1 rare monthly night where they have a good game, only for them to suck another 10 games straight.

Sigh. I seriously hope Sarver sells the team to someone who actually knows how to run it.

classic game...........but what da fukk was Jack doing there ?

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Great memory. Yes Daniel Ewing defending Raja Bell extremely well and the dude drained an ice cold 3 from the corner in his face to pretty much win the game.
    That was actually one of the best playoff series I ever seen I'm suprised no one talks about it more tbh.

NBA rookie of the year

I remember watching this. Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Daniel Ewing was out of the game for a long time before being dropped back in for the final play. Piss poor coaching. I don't care if he's your defensive stopper. He's been on the pine forever. Keep the guys you have in the game.