Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by s0ulja714
    when jerry west invited kobe to a pre draft camp workout, he was testing his skills and athleticism, and he stated how kobe was able to explode and touch the top of the backboard with ease...
    That's why Kobe's head didn't come within 6" of the rim on any of his dunks during the '97 dunk contest.

Didint earl manigault do such feats? Im sure Yao can do it or any high flying 7 ftr.

Good college starter LakersDynasty's Avatar

What about Stromile Swift?

Banned

there's no way Kobe could ever do it. I never thought of him as a top tier leaper or dunker. even when he was a kid and had less muscle. and he's 6'6 tops.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MetsPackers
    I really doubt it, I can touch the top of the square, but thats and a foot off from the top of the backboard. You'd have too be tall and still have a ridiculous vertical to be able to do this, but maybe someone can
    I have seen Lebron do it in AAU in Vegas. I also heard Vince say he used to be able to grab the top of the backboard and hang(Eastern Invitational Camp). Its possible

College superstar

top of the backboard is 13'6 isn't it?

I've never actually seen anyone do it or be that high officially though I have seen some get near it. Lots of stories and accounts of guys being able to do it, but no proof, and in many cases (like with Paul Silas and LeBron), the guy who is supposed to be able to do it says themselves that they can't.

Banned

A while back someone posted a pic of Travis Outlaw doing it.

NBA Superstar

lots of guys can do it

I played with a guy in HS who was a retarded leaper and he would take the rookies clothes out of the locker room when they were in the shower and jump up and hang them on the top of the backboard.

It takes a 40plus vert on a guy 6'5" or up but there are plenty of those guys out there nowadays.

College superstar

a 6'6 guy has like an 8'8 standing reach. 8'8+40=12 ft. Not even close

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    a 6'6 guy has like an 8'8 standing reach. 8'8+40=12 ft. Not even close
    Yeah but they arent jumping from vert they are getting a running start.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    Yeah but they arent jumping from vert they are getting a running start.
    What does that change? 13'6-8'8 still = 58 inches

Decent playground baller Bosh4life's Avatar

Default ....

didn't someone grab a penny of the top? When i saw it or read about it, i believed it. Was from a credible source if i remember.
    Ahaahah funny thing is i think that credable source was NBA live because coincidentially i was just playing the game and i was lebron james and after dunking the announcers were talking about how lebron has grabbed a stack of quaters off the top of the backboard.

College star

I dont think Kareem could. I only say that because I read a quote from Kareem after he watched some guy do it(Dont remember if it was Wilt, Earl the Goat, or Jackie Johnson) and saying he couldnt get that high.
    Well, an eye-wittness told me, and I absolutely trust this guy. This is as much a proof as you can get from players of this era

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    What does that change? 13'6-8'8 still = 58 inches
    Exactly what I'm thinking, except the top of the backboard is actually 13'1", I think. Remember the backboard is 42" but the rim is 5" from the bottom. 10 feet + 37" = 13'1". That would still require a 53 inch vertical though.

As an example, I'm 5'9" and on a good day I can get my fingertips about 3/4 to the top of the white square, but my running vertical is over 40" for sure. That said, the spot I can touch is still 2 feet from the top. So in theory, even if I were 7 feet with a crazy wingspan I'd still come up short by a few inches.

I guess Dwight seems like the best candidate. He's got the height and crazy wingspan for sure. But even then it seems like he'd need something like a 45 or 46" running vertical. That's insane.

Oh, and I hate to get into the old camera angle argument, but the picture of the football player is from a low angle. He's not quite as high as he looks, although still damn high. And Kobe never touched the top of the backboard. That's a stupid claim. Guy's not even one of the elite leapers, and he's only 6'6".

I Have Seen Vince Carter Take A Dollor In Qaurters Off The Top Of The Backboard N Replace It With A Dollor Bill.