Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Promotion of Jordan was shoved in America's throats more than any player by the NBA

Jordan generally always lived up to the hype though. Guy rarely even had a bad regular season game because he knew for some fan that might be the only chance they get to see him.

If it was as easy as just whipping up some TV ads and promoting a player, the NBA and Nike and McDonalds would've had "made" several players like Jordan.

Why not "make" Derrick Rose as popular as Jordan? Or Carmelo Anthony, he plays in the biggest media market in the world. I'm sure David Stern would love to. But he can't and he knows it.

You think they haven't tried? They'd love to have that.

If you were famous in the 80s/90s too, generally speaking you were *really* famous. None of this Kim Kardashain, "I made a Youtube video", "I'm famous for no reason" crap.

Michael Jackson, Princess Diana, Michael Jordan, Arnold Schwarzenneger, Madonna ... THAT is famous. Not half the wanna be celebrities of today.

Banned

Default Re: Promotion of Jordan was shoved in America's throats more than any player by the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    Jordan generally always lived up to the hype though. Guy rarely even had a bad regular season game because he knew for some fan that might be the only chance they get to see him.

If it was as easy as just whipping up some TV ads and promoting a player, the NBA and Nike and McDonalds would've had "made" several players like Jordan.

Why not "make" Derrick Rose as popular as Jordan? Or Carmelo Anthony, he plays in the biggest media market in the world. I'm sure David Stern would love to. But he can't and he knows it.

You think they haven't tried? They'd love to have that.

If you were famous in the 80s/90s too, generally speaking you were *really* famous. None of this Kim Kardashain, "I made a Youtube video", "I'm famous for no reason" crap.

Michael Jackson, Princess Diana, Michael Jordan, Arnold Schwarzenneger, Madonna ... THAT is famous. Not half the wanna be celebrities of today.
    Youtube/viral video/internet ERA. ANYONE can get famous.

Samurai Swoosh

LMAO @ fans forgetting "Kobe Bryan Courtside" for N64 and Gamecube. LOL @ forgetting the McDonals, Sprite, and Nutella promotions.

Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson.....

We need Keith Van Horn back.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by f0und
    yes jordan was marketed to hell. but you know what made jordan so great? he was always better than the hype. other players have come and gone on the same type of hype train, but none of them could be sustained because they didnt always deliver. jordan always did and then some.
    Those two BOLD statements are FACTS not opinions btw.

This is the reason why current great NBA players crew of LBJ, Wade, Kobe, Durant etc etc CANNOT even sell 50% of what "JUMP MAN LOGO" & "BRAND JORDAN" sells despite MJ's career long dead and buried.

Jordan was always better than the hype.

so people still buy into that.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    My point was in reference to NBA created biography style videos.
    You're joking right? The reason they don't create those videos anymore is cause technology has changed. Those type of biography videos aren't as valuable to people when we have the internet, NBATV, and multiple ESPN channels. They didn't just make those videos back then for Jordan, but for everyone.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    You're joking right? The reason they don't create those videos anymore is cause technology has changed. Those type of biography videos aren't as valuable to people when we have the internet, NBATV, and multiple ESPN channels. They didn't just make those videos back then for Jordan, but for everyone.
    Exactly. Youtube videos made those extinct.

The last one I remember them making was in 2002 for Allen Iverson. Right before the internet boom of the early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    This!

As if anyone is gonna call some fcuking 1-800 number to order bio/highlight tapes for $19.99 when you can just go to youtube to watch highlights of a game that isn't even over yet.

NBA rookie of the year

Kobe Bryant, Grant Hill, Anfernee Hardaway, and LeBron James all had massive marketing campaigns behind them.

Shaq had probably the biggest though. I remember when he first came to the Orlando Magic you could not turn on the TV without seeing a Shaq Pepsi or Reebok ad, it was everywhere.

He was in movies, had his own rap album, etc. lol

Charles Barkley had a ton of TV commercials too, but about '93 I think Nike was pushing him harder than Jordan.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 02-27-2013 at 10:09 PM.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    Kobe Bryant, Grant Hill, Anfernee Hardaway, and LeBron James all had massive marketing campaigns behind them.

Shaq had probably the biggest though. I remember when he first came to the Orlando Magic you could not turn on the TV without seeing a Shaq Pepsi or Reebok ad, it was everywhere.

He was in movies, had his own rap album, etc. lol

Charles Barkley had a ton of TV commercials too, but about '93 I think Nike was pushing him harder than Jordan.
    Still my favorite Shaq commercial!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwb-ighjXZ8

Kobe and LeBron probably had the most unearned media hype/promotion in NBA history.

Nobody in sports history, except maybe Ali and Babe Ruth, had the combination of charisma, talent, drive to succeed, storyline and mystique MJ had.

I mean, winning 3 rings, retiring, coming back and winning 3 more with a championship winning shot? That's the stuff of storybook tales and sports movies. The guy also had a sort of majesty to him that guys like LBJ and Kobe lack. He was like the Beatles visiting a country when he played in another arena. The Bulls games weren't just basketball games, they were EVENTS which people didn't want to miss. Not even the Lakers at their 00's peak had that kind of following.

I remember watching CNN in 1998 when he retired. It was even bigger than most international news stories, even bigger than Pope Benedict's resignation.

Plus he backed up every hype.

That's why he's still talked about today, and why we keep on looking for the next MJ. Even if we get a guy someday down the line who's better than he is, it might be too difficult for him to eclipse MJ because of those factors.

I agree with the OP. It was a perfect storm though - an unearthly talented player, whose playing style demanded attention, a weak era for him to dominate, and a marketing campaign that wouldn't quit.

Apart from it grating to live through, it was bad for basketball because it elevated Jordan to a level where he simply is not. Not by any objective standard. Yet, here, in this thread, we have someone to compare him to Gretzky. Even if you think Jordan is the GOAT...it is debatable...unlike Gretzky who dominated his sport to where there are basically no arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    I agree with the OP. It was a perfect storm though - an unearthly talented player, whose playing style demanded attention, a weak era for him to dominate, and a marketing campaign that wouldn't quit.

Apart from it grating to live through, it was bad for basketball because it elevated Jordan to a level where he simply is not. Not by any objective standard. Yet, here, in this thread, we have someone to compare him to Gretzky. Even if you think Jordan is the GOAT...it is debatable...unlike Gretzky who dominated his sport to where there are basically no arguments.

Your retort was eloquent, well done.