Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Has Michael Jordan ever said who was the best player he ever went up against?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    BAck in the dey I know he said Mitch Richmond was the hardest to guard

but after Kooobe dropped 42 points on him in 1 1/2 quarters...you know it's #24
    man that was embarrassing, Kobe shook MJ into retiring

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: Has Michael Jordan ever said who was the best player he ever went up against?

I'ma go with Bird as well, he was just hard to guard, almost impossible at times. But aside from his scoring abilities, he dominated from other aspects as well.

If there's a player that I would say is the GOAt aside from MJ, it would have to be Bird, hands down. Not because MJ admires him so much, but because he was a BAD man. One would have to be a bad man to do what he did, with the limited physical attributes that he had.

Think about how good one would have to be when everybody jumps higher, is faster, and more agile... yet... you drop 40 on they ass like it's nothing.

Well I dont know if you can believe everything on Wikipedia, but Joe Dumars page has this:

According to Jordan, Dumars was the best defender he faced in the NBA.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dumars

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    Well I dont know if you can believe everything on Wikipedia, but Joe Dumars page has this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dumars
    That's 'defender' not 'player'.

We all know that Dumars is the best defender he faced.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I'ma go with Bird as well, he was just hard to guard, almost impossible at times. But aside from his scoring abilities, he dominated from other aspects as well.

If there's a player that I would say is the GOAt aside from MJ, it would have to be Bird, hands down. Not because MJ admires him so much, but because he was a BAD man. One would have to be a bad man to do what he did, with the limited physical attributes that he had.

Think about how good one would have to be when everybody jumps higher, is faster, and more agile... yet... you drop 40 on they ass like it's nothing.
    This. Larry Legend cannot be shook. If there's someone whom I think gave MJ nightmares (I'm exaggerating) it's Larry.

@andgar

Totally agree on the bolded part that's why we MJ fans give Bird a loooooot of respect.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

I always get the impression that the best player on the floor with him was his own teammate. I think he regards Pippen as the best beside him.

Other than that... I have no clue. I can't remember off the top of my head anyone being his definitive opponent. He battled with a few guys but I'm not sure.

I'd like Mike to write a book, and just let it all at.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Last Minutes Bird as Cold as Dry Ice

*Look at the Ball Boy (to the left) Every Time Bird Scores at the End 2:20 and Forth

I rule the local playground Jax's Avatar

Jordan retired so he wouldn't face LBJ, The King.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I'm pretty interested in this. It would also be nice if someone compiled lists from books/interviews of all-time greats revealing the top guys they went against, as well as their top 5 or so all-time (not sure if that's been done).
    Great idea for the thread.

Latest one I heard (not coming from an all-time great but from a very good player about a very good player regardless) was Chambers saying before the start of the 89 conference finals that Worthy was the toughest matchup for him defensively in the league. He was talking about how little credit he gets and said something along the lines of "Green was voted into the All-Defensive Second Team, but you wont see him on me tonight."

he said whenever he went up against Dumars, he had to tie his shoes a little tighter. he knew he would have to battle for every inch

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

great thread

great excerpt from Jordan interview also

dream, pip.bird,jordan, magic

=============

Gotta call "bull" on Jordan's answers though...if that's his full answer...unedited

Bird was a bad bad man...but I read the Dream Team book...and I think both Michale and Magic go out of their way to praise Bird.
    They saw how anything close to criticizing/belittling Bird brings instant backlash a la Isiah Thomas, so they go overboard the opposite way.

In the book, the writer..a Bird dick-holder if there ever was one, even mentions Mike giving Bird credit for things he didn't do..when MJ is recalling the greatest game nobody ever saw

it's a smart move..endears him to older white hoops fans who identified with Bird because he was a great white player, but it sounds like complete bullshit
    he mentions "work ethic" for Bird but for no other player....so he's clearly playing to that crowd...

==================================================

I'd have to say, in answering as a fan.....reggie miller is the only guy to even remotely rattle Jordan

certain the tapes have been destroyed but Mike beat up Reggie Miller on the court one day after Miller had been making shots and talking WILD shit to him

Miller CLEARLY didn't have 1/10 the game that Jordan had...but I think mentally..and talking the talk and walking the walk...for about a 4 year stretch he gave as good as he got to MJ

---------------------------------------------------------------

regular season..probably Mitch Richmond for maybe 3 year period....

Mitch was legitimately in top 3 shooting guards in the league during that time..strong.....had shooting range...just a difficult cover

Decent playground baller

I also remember he mentioned Dumars as the toughest player to play against, tough on defense, smart and good offensive player as well.

I hope people that shit on Bird because he's white take this thread seriously. And no it's not just MJ kissing his ass because he wanted to appeal to older white fans. MJ knew what a bad muthaf**ka Larry Bird was.

I think in terms of the best SG he played against during his prime, I would think it would have to be Clyde or Mitch. Dumars I'm sure made him work probably the hardest to get his shot. Mitch I feel had the most complete scoring skillset he ran into. And Clyde was the closest thing to himself when it came to combining freak athletic ability, alpha dog scoring, and great all around play at the SG. For me I would say Clyde.

But in terms of the guy who MJ said he looked forward to competing against the most, he used to say Nique all the time. Watch the old school MJ VHS videos and many times he said Nique was the guy he used to get hype for the most. If anything, it was because Nique was the closest thing to MJ in terms of being a dominant freak athlete scoring machine. During that time, MJ, Nique, and Bird were the premier perimeter scorers in the L. King was right there, but injuries kept him from being there consistently. But the manner in which Nique and MJ scored put them on a level all to themselves in that era.

When it comes to flat out the best player regardless of position, it's gotta be Bird or Magic. Flip a coin! But I think MJ felt his biggest threats on the perimiter were Bird, Magic, Nique, Isiah, and Drexler.
    Last edited by bizil; 07-24-2012 at 10:22 PM.