View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
KG215
NBA Superstar

Default Re: How Kevin Durant Can Win MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Masters
I'm not talking about titles here. I know that in order for him to win titles he should continue playing the unselfish brand of ball that he is known for. However, in order to win MVP it's obvious that he needs to shoot the ball more. Maybe he doesn't care about MVPs, but all of the truly great players have at least one MVP on their belt. According to BBall Reference this past season he averaged 17.7 field goal attempts per game and only 19 for his career. LeBron, who everyone considers a very unselfish player, averages more field goal attempts per game over his career than Durant does (Lebron has a career average of 20 fga per game).
Durant has also spent most of his career with another high usage/volume scorer on his team in Westbrook. If he never had Westbrook, I'm sure his career FGA/game would be up around 20, too, and LeBron's wouldn't be that high if he had someone at or close to Westbrook's level when he was in Cleveland.

Quote:
Durant will never have the overall game that LeBron has, so in order to elevate himself in the eyes of voters, he needs to forget about his efficiency and let the ball fly. He needs to average 32-35 points per game in order to get the award. Without Kevin Martin or James Harden on the roster, what reason is there for him not to take the extra shots? If he doesn't, Westbrook will. Durant has no chance to win MVP over LeBron while he averages 28 points per game. This is all just my opinion of course. Please feel free to chime in with your own opinions of how Durant can snatch the award away from James.
I don't think he needs to average 32-35 PPG (although I do think he's capable of averaging around 32 PPG if he was more selfish). But I sort of agree with the rest of this. He's not going to put up a LeBron-esque 27-8-7 stat-line, so maybe doing something like 30-8-5 instead of the 28-8-5 he averaged last year, with another 50/40/90 season on a team with the best or second best record in the NBA might do it.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote