Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Planning an America trip...

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I quite like this type of idea. That's a decent itinerary of what I'm kind of looking to do. Rent a car here and there to get to certain places.
    The plan was for Christmas and New Years in New York, but I'm not too fussed if Christmas isn't spent there, so no biggie.
    Anyone experience either in New York and can comment for which occasion is it better to be around?
    Christmas is better than New Years. New Years is more fun with a specific place to go, it's not as easy to just go place to place.

Message if you need a place to buy tickets, or want to know about an area, etc. Don't know clubs (i'm 40) but i know foot and attractions, etc.

I love the Northwest, but for a tourist I wouldn't recommend the trip.

If you're going to the Southwest (Grand Canyon), might as well hit up Vegas, then jump over to LA and take the PCH up the coast to San Fran.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Christmas is better than New Years. New Years is more fun with a specific place to go, it's not as easy to just go place to place.

Message if you need a place to buy tickets, or want to know about an area, etc. Don't know clubs (i'm 40) but i know foot and attractions, etc.
    Hmm yeah, will have to talk it over with the rest of my friends.

What's your opinion on 10 grand limit? Too much, too little? This is excluding flights. I'll need to pay for accommodation and all that, which I'm assuming will take up 2000-3000 dollars of that 10, just from the little I've researched.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    You're a complete fukkin moron. The guy wants to go on vacation and you're done with this thread because he doesn't go where you want him to?

I hope you get mugged in the streets and soil yourself.
    Seconded. What a ****ing douchebag.

Don't be unsure about New Orleans. It's a great place. I wouldn't really recommend other places not listed, since as someone else stated, you shouldn't spread your trip too thin. I guess it would all depend on what your priorities are, though. How long do you plan on staying in each city? If you want to spread it out and hit a bunch of places, then you could add Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, SD, maybe Baltimore for the Inner Harbor since it's close to DC (about an hour drive), and if really crazy, Hawaii and Alaska...

I did Times Square for New Years when it hit 2000. It wasn't as great as I thought it would be. We didn't know you had to get out to Times Square early or else you'd be fairly far away. Unless you want to spend all day and the night in one little area (they block off the streets), then you might want to do something else for New Years. And, prepare for the crappy Winter weather over here.

Hmm yeah, will have to talk it over with the rest of my friends.

What's your opinion on 10 grand limit? Too much, too little? This is excluding flights. I'll need to pay for accommodation and all that, which I'm assuming will take up 2000-3000 dollars of that 10, just from the little I've researched.
    I think $10k is more than enough. You're young, you're not going to be in your hotel rooms so they don't need to be pricey, and you're in a foreign country, you don't need to eat in expensive restaurants, etc - you just want the local food. BTW, NY has hostels where the rooms aren't insanely pricey. you should look for that. Actual hotels in manhattan are very pricey - avoid. Brooklyn has hotels too in park slope, etc. - basically you'd be a 20 minute subway ride from where you want to go in manhattan in a very safe area.

PLane tickets are a bitch, definitely. I paid $1,200 for my japan tickets this year.

College star

If you are fine with staying at hostels, campsites (when you go to the canyons) and couchsurfers you will not spend more than $25 per night on average.
    Even in Chicago you can get a good hostel for cheap money. I stayed at a place in the Wicker Park district (at Milwaukee Ave) for $20 a night. They even offered a parking space for free.

If I was you I would spend my money on good food/drinks rather than a pricey place to stay.

Also, get a credit card if you don't already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    If you are fine with staying at hostels, campsites (when you go to the canyons) and couchsurfers you will not spend more than $25 per night on average.
    Even in Chicago you can get a good hostel for cheap money. I stayed at a place in the Wicker Park district (at Milwaukee Ave) for $20 a night. They even offered a parking space for free.

If I was you I would spend my money on good food/drinks rather than a pricey place to stay.

Also, get a credit card if you don't already have one.
    Hostels should be fine, since there will be 4 of us, and I'm assuming that's usually the amount that pairs up in a room. Is it usually shared bathroom facilities there or does each room get its own thing?

Agreed on reserving money in that aspect. We'll be out sightseeing and travelling all day to really need anything too over the top to stay at.

Hostels should be fine, since there will be 4 of us, and I'm assuming that's usually the amount that pairs up in a room. Is it usually shared bathroom facilities there or does each room get its own thing?

Agreed on reserving money in that aspect. We'll be out sightseeing and travelling all day to really need anything too over the top to stay at.
    I stayed in Hostels when I went to the US (except in Vegas, but it was a brand new hotel, so I got my awesome room for like $125 a night), didn't have any issues. Shared bathrooms suck, but it's like 10 minutes of your day, so it's doable. Had my own room at a hostel in New York, but that was at a YMCA on 42nd street. Went a bit more expensive so it was like $60 a night for my own room.

Hit up your ISH bros for free places to stay too.

[COLOR="White"]You might get ass raped, but it's a small price to pay.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Hit up your ISH bros for free places to stay too.

[COLOR=white]You might get ass raped, but it's a small price to pay.[/COLOR]
    So you are offering space then.

Niw, the 10k budget seems like a huge amount to me. I would probably budget at half that.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    So you are offering space then.

Sure. Although Charlotte is a fantastic place to live, it's not really a tourist destination.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Sure. Although Charlotte is a fantastic place to live, it's not really a tourist destination.
    Ya but Bobcats pre season camp is starting soon, who would miss out on that?

Seriously though I was pissed last year because we didn't get to see any of it because the arena was taken over by the Democratic Convention.

I might as well try out while I'm over there.

Hostels should be fine, but I've got 3 other people travelling with me, hence I don't think 40 dollars a night will be much, which seems to be the average price outside of New York.