Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Pistons Pick Up a 2nd Round Sleeper: Literally (narcolepsy)

Walter Sharpe had a pretty rough college basketball career. He was shot, he was arrested once, and was academically inelligable for his senior season. According to Michael Rosenberg of the Detroit Free Press, he couldn't even spell his own last name right. But after being diagnosed with narcolepsy and put on medication, supposedly his life has turned around.

[QUOTE=http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com/2008/06/pistons-eager-to-put-sharpe-to-test.html]Sharpe spoke freely during a Friday conference call about his narcolepsy, a condition only recently discovered by a sleep study that he underwent at the urging of Alabama-Birmingham coach Mike Davis. And he stopped short of blaming the condition

Default Re: Pistons Pick Up a 2nd Round Sleeper: Literally (narcolepsy)

Good to see at least one other person is being optimistic.

Some clowns on this board, and in the team forum are calling for Dumars to be fired.

If Dumars EVER gets fired I will no longer be a Pistons fan, but instead a fan of Dumars's new team. He won't stay unemployed a week.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc

Some clowns on this board, and in the team forum are calling for Dumars to be fired.

If Dumars EVER gets fired I will no longer be a Pistons fan, but instead a fan of Dumars's new team. He won't stay unemployed a second.
    Fixed.

He'd be unemployed for however long it took for him to fly from Detroit to his press conference at his new team.

Banned

Yeah whoever said he should be fired is an F*ing idiot. Joe D is the best thing to happen to the Detroit Pistons ever.

DJ White was a Maxiell clone. We were searching for players that would tolerate playing in Europe, and thats why we passed on CDR and Walker.

I don't have a problem with the draft. No matter who they pick they're not gonna play, at least this way he weaseled his way out of a guaranteed contract.

That being said, considering Sharpe wasn't even in the media guide, it seems like he could have signed him as an undrafted free agent and taken CDR and Bill Walker with his first two picks, which would have been a better move.

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I don't have a problem with the draft. No matter who they pick they're not gonna play, at least this way he weaseled his way out of a guaranteed contract.

That being said, considering Sharpe wasn't even in the media guide, it seems like he could have signed him as an undrafted free agent and taken CDR and Bill Walker with his first two picks, which would have been a better move.

that's what i was gonna say.

I still trust Joe D's drafting though..

They took him when they did, because they thought someone else was about to take him. He's going to be the backup for Prince....they hope

You guys are really sleeping on Sharpe. He picked him where he did to send a message to the league and his coaching staff that Walt is here to stay.

He got a steal in Walter. He is a good guy who just kept being put in bad situations by people he trusted. The whole Miss State thing was his high school coach's fault. He was literally sold by his coach to Miss State and that began a mini downward spiral for him.

The Pistons are like the 70's Steelers front office. They pluck guys from right under people's noses. If people weren't unfairly burying and poo pooing CUSA last year they would have seen talent like Sharpe, Vaden, and McKiver just waiting to be scooped.
    Last edited by Dasher; 06-28-2008 at 11:11 AM.

[QUOTE]Walter Sharpe may be a surprising name called on draft night, after conducting strong workouts with teams like Cleveland, Denver, New Jersey, Washington and Charlotte, and showing surprisingly well there. Sharpe, a very highly touted member of the 2004 high school class, only played in 12 games this season before being ruled academically ineligible at UAB. He was later diagnosed with Narcolepsy (a sleeping disorder), but has numerous other red flags on his resume, including being kicked out of Mississippi State for breaking team rules, being shot in the stomach, and then later being arrested for disorderly conduct

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc

If Dumars EVER gets fired I will no longer be a Pistons fan, but instead a fan of Dumars's new team. He won't stay unemployed a week.
    I am fxcking tired of everyone on the radio and everywhere I go ripping on Dumars. Stupid dip shxt fake fux trashing Dumars. Darko this, Rodney White this. Fuc outta here with that tired ol shxt

Walter has been better than DJ since they were kids. So quit crying about another undersized PF. Walter brings length and a great deal of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Walter has been better than DJ since they were kids. So quit crying about another undersized PF. Walter brings length and a great deal of skill.
    I may have misunderstood your post,,,Dumars said he's a SF. He's not undersized there.

Quote Originally Posted by flintstone
    I may have misunderstood your post,,,Dumars said he's a SF. He's not undersized there.
    Quit crying about DJ White. Walter is the much superior player, and can shuffle in between both spots in a pinch. He was actually spending a lot of time at the 5 last year. The personal stuff is a bit overblown because it is being thrown out there without the proper context.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Quit crying about DJ White. Walter is the much superior player, and can shuffle in between both spots in a pinch. He was actually spending a lot of time at the 5 last year. The personal stuff is a bit overblown because it is being thrown out there without the proper context.

Ok, I see now. My understanding regarding DJ White is that he's a Maxiell type of player "only"...Dumars wasn't interested in that skill set in the draft.

This guy can backup Prince (good ball skills)...almost guard like, from what I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by flintstone
    Ok, I see now. My understanding regarding DJ White is that he's a Maxiell type of player "only"...Dumars wasn't interested in that skill set in the draft.

This guy can backup Prince (good ball skills)...almost guard like, from what I have read.
    He has Lamar Odom handles, and range all the way out to the NBA 3. He is a bigger, stronger, more advanced Anthony Randolph. He has a back to the basket game. Joey D is gonna piss everyone off again next year when he scoops up Lester Hudson, Ronald Steele, Alonzo Gee, Chris Johnson, or Charles Rhodes late in the first.