Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    King of Chicago DRoseOwnsACamry's Avatar

Default If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

...Around the world?
    How come basketball became popular around the world, but (American)football didn't?

Banned

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

No man, it's just a boring game and I grew up with it. Too many commercials and stoppages.

ALSO the main thing is you need so much expensive equipment and organization to play it. Compared to soccer or cricket or basketball. It's hard for a sport to be popular when you need to be extremely wealthy to play it.

It's the same reason baseball isn't that popular all over the world and is dying out in Japan and even America. Too slow paced and boring.

These sports were good in the age of radio because they were easy to commentate over. Now with television available everywhere, even really poor villages able to afford it, people want to see fast paced action.

I like the tactics of football, I understand it because I'm American but compared to sports like basketball and soccer (THE ENGLISH INVENTED THAT WORD, GET OVER IT EUROSNOBS) it is too slow paced and dull. I like watching the playoffs and superbowl, that's it.

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

It's very boring, I have tried getting into it a few times but I could never make myself watch a full game.

Who gives a damn if the rest of the world likes it or not?

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    No man, it's just a boring game and I grew up with it. Too many commercials and stoppages.

ALSO the main thing is you need so much expensive equipment and organization to play it. Compared to soccer or cricket or basketball. It's hard for a sport to be popular when you need to be extremely wealthy to play it.

It's the same reason baseball isn't that popular all over the world and is dying out in Japan and even America. Too slow paced and boring.

These sports were good in the age of radio because they were easy to commentate over. Now with television available everywhere, even really poor villages able to afford it, people want to see fast paced action.

I like the tactics of football, I understand it because I'm American but compared to sports like basketball and soccer (THE ENGLISH INVENTED THAT WORD, GET OVER IT EUROSNOBS) it is too slow paced and dull. I like watching the playoffs and superbowl, that's it.
    Not really. I played AF my whole life and the only thing I had to purchase was cleats and a cup. Everything else was provided for me from my school..

Also you don't need equipment to play the sport as well. Just grab a football and play tackle or flag or touch football in your random park.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Not really. I played AF my whole life and the only thing I had to purchase was cleats and a cup. Everything else was provided for me from my school..

Also you don't need equipment to play the sport as well. Just grab a football and play tackle or flag or touch football in your random park.
    Most schools in Europe, Asia and Africa and south america don't have or can't afford this expensive equipment. Sorry, to play the game properly it is extremely expensive.

I see and know loads of people who to to the park and play touch football, germans, dutch, english etc. But they're never going to become pros. And most people don't want to stay up til 4AM to watch a sport they don't understand. And because pro leagues in Europe were low quality, it didn't catch on at all and went bankrupt.

They all seem to like the idea of cheerleaders though.

Decent college freshman

Its really boring. Plays go for 5-10 seconds at most and then there is a minimum of a 30 second break everytime. The stops are just insane, they spend 3/4 of the time doing nothing.

Also why do they have so much protection? Watch Australian football or rugby, they are just as rough, if not more and they wear nothing.

Another reason is that no one else in the world plays it, whilst almost every country in the world plays basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Easy8
    Its really boring. Plays go for 5-10 seconds at most and then there is a minimum of a 30 second break everytime. The stops are just insane, they spend 3/4 of the time doing nothing.

Also why do they have so much protection? Watch Australian football or rugby, they are just as rough, if not more and they wear nothing.

Another reason is that no one else in the world plays it, whilst almost every country in the world plays basketball.
    Educate yourself about the sport before you comment on it. You sound like a moron.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonD13
    I think one reason is because you can play basketball pretty easy yourself while you need a lot of equipment, knowledge, people for AF. I think that's the main reason why soccer is so popular all over the world.
    ^^^

this

football isn't popular around the world because it requires a lot of money...and a huge team

soccer and basketball can be played by children that simply have a ball...soccer can use two buckets as goal markers, in basketball you do need a hoop which does require more money but not nearly as much as football which requires expensive pads...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by B-Easy8

I think you need to research the rules in tackling between those 3 sports to find that answer.

Earned not given

On average, American football has only 11 minutes of action in 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickingStar
    I think you need to research the rules in tackling between those 3 sports to find that answer.
    or just watch

clearly he hasn't watched much American Football...

Watch this video to understand why pads are needed

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    On average, football has only 11 minutes of action in 3 hours.
    where the fck did you get that?...a quarter is 15 minutes, clock stops during most breaks

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    or just watch

clearly he hasn't watched much American Football...

Watch this video to understand why pads are needed
    I watch a lot of NFL, but I can only watch the condensed games on game pass.

I see the way they tackle and its really not that big of a difference. Have you ever watched rugby?

Decent college freshman

By the way the condensed games go for 20 minutes and cut out the majority of the stops.

Why would anyone watch a 3 hour game to watch 20 minutes of action?