Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

Whats more pathetic Durant not lifting 185 once or everyone making topics about how the Cavs can beat the Spurs? I think if you read the first 3 pages you'll start disliking everyone being attention whores because they want you to look up under thier skirt (read thier enlightening thoughts on how the cavs can beat the spurs) more than Durant not being able to bench 185.

And honestly? In Durants defense if he never lifted a weight or used the bench in his life or even sparringly. There is no way he can just sit on the bench and push 185 off his chest just because he is tall and can play basketball. Lifting weights isnt exactly easy....not many are born strong. Most begginners when they first start lifting off the bench cant even bench thier own weight. So if he left high school not ever using the weight room (if they had one) or he didnt really target lifting 185 or better when he did. Then expecting him in college to hit the gym and start pushing 185 off his chest 8 times is reaching. When you're avg a double double in college having a phenominal season...chances of you being FORCED to weight train isnt likely. So until we know how Texas bball program incorporates weight training and how important it is there....then we should give him the benefit of the doubt. Him not lifting 185 just means he needs to get stronger. So get over it. Nash probably is a weakling.

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

185 is VERY easy for most regular people to bench press. It isnt a hard thing for an every day kind of dude to do.
    Its really not. I bet a large % of the posters who actually post here (not just members) couldnt bench 185 if they havent been in the gym at all or in a long time. So thats a wrong assumption on your part. And if you take graduating highschoolers and freshman in college who never lifted weights or lifted them off and on...nothing consistent. Placing them on the bench and orcing them to push 185 off thier chest they couldnt do. He's 19. Every 19yr old can push 185 off thier chest? Thats hilarious...so we got a bunch of billy bad asses in America? So all it takes for kids to lift 300lbs is basically a year. If you can push off 185 easily then within a year you should be able to hit 300. According to your logic.

Banned

When I was 16-17 or so, I went with my friend in the morning's to the local gym. I was around 180 pounds at the time (I'm 6'1") and had never lifted a weight in my life, nor done much manual labor of any sort. I had no problem doing 2-3 sets of 10 reps at 185 pounds.

I mean, I agree with you that everyone's different, but it's still pretty surprising that a guy who's in such great shape wouldn't be able to do it, since you'd think that he would have done other sorts of similar strength-building exercises over the years (push-ups, resistance training etc.) just by virtue of being active. I mean, not being able to do a set I can understand, but one rep?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 18

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    This is really pathetic, and a major cause for concern in my opinion.

The guy is going to be a serious defensive liability. How will he keep any four off the block? How will he keep any three off the block for that matter? He probably bailed himself out with his height in college, now I see him being terribly exposed. Add to that his slow feet and it is a really interesting dilemma.

The last player I remember not benching the minimum was Shaun Livingston and look how he has turned out. Injury after injury (not having stength leads to injury) and SL was point guard. Durant will have to guard bigger stronger players.

Maybe he is a natural scorer and a gamer with a high bball IQ, but so was Adam Morrison and look how he made the jump (yikes).

Did this news drop your opinion of Durant's star potential in your mind as it did mine? I could be overvaluing this result and Durant could end up doing just what he did in college (dominating), but we could also have the next Brad Sellers on our hands.
    Adam Morrison doesn't have Durant's 7'5 wingspan and 6'10 height. And although Durant may struggle in man-to-man d (like most rookies) if his strength is such a problem compared to other picks, why were none of them ever able to exploit it? He's a small forward, not a defensive end, and if he plays the 3 most sfs won't be able to post him up that well at all because, remember, he's 6'10 with a 7'5" wingspan. If you could be an effective post player by just muscling then guys like Brandon Hunter would be great. but no 6'7/220 lbs. SF is going to succeed against Durant in the paint. This isn't football.

Bucks fan

By the way, I think his physical limitations are more reason to pass on him at #1 and go with super-freak athelete Oden. It's not a reason to think twice about him at #2. He's still a way better prospect than anyone else in the draft, and anyone else from most drafts.

Local High School Star

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 18

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    This is really pathetic, and a major cause for concern in my opinion.

The guy is going to be a serious defensive liability. How will he keep any four off the block? How will he keep any three off the block for that matter? He probably bailed himself out with his height in college, now I see him being terribly exposed. Add to that his slow feet and it is a really interesting dilemma.

The last player I remember not benching the minimum was Shaun Livingston and look how he has turned out. Injury after injury (not having stength leads to injury) and SL was point guard. Durant will have to guard bigger stronger players.

Maybe he is a natural scorer and a gamer with a high bball IQ, but so was Adam Morrison and look how he made the jump (yikes).

Did this news drop your opinion of Durant's star potential in your mind as it did mine? I could be overvaluing this result and Durant could end up doing just what he did in college (dominating), but we could also have the next Brad Sellers on our hands.

Panelists were talking about this on ESPN (Entertainment & Sporting Network)'s Around the Horn and one of the Panelists compared Kevin Durant's situation to Scottie Pippen's situation. Scottie Pippen was probably as thin as Kevin Durant until the Chicago Bulls staff got a hold of him and he turned out like he was - more muscular than he was when they drafted him.

They also made the point that this is not the NFL (National Football League) Combine. Lifting so much weight shouldn't matter. The only thing you need to worry about is the basketball which is one and a half pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    By the way, I think his physical limitations
    One thing: It's not a "limitation." It's just an extremely long-armed, skinny beginner doing poorly on the bench press, something that doesn't even matter much for perimeter players anyway. He can and will get stronger and it's only going to be important when he's trying to get And-1s. What's more important is leg strength and quickness. Most plays where upper body strength is important are fouls.

Banned

His weakness will effect his game obviously. I have been saying all along that he won't be able to back down anyone, get to the basket as easy as he did in college(rebounding and driving), or be able to defend many small forwards when they back him down from the very beginning.

I have been saying all along he will be a jump shooter to start (also has to do with his handles) and will rely on pump fakes to drive....but of course he better be hitting his shots his rookie season or he's going to disappoint many people this year.

Wouldn't suprise me if he's a lot like Tim Thomas his first season or at least the first half until he better acclimates himself to the NBA. Of course I feel he'll be a little bit better than that, but that is a worst case scenario.

NBA sixth man of the year

I weigh 210 and can't bench 185. I'm not a weight lifter.

Have you never seen Durant play?

Kid will be just fine..........

Quote Originally Posted by LakerRaider
    Panelists were talking about this on ESPN (Entertainment & Sporting Network)'s Around the Horn and one of the Panelists compared Kevin Durant's situation to Scottie Pippen's situation. Scottie Pippen was probably as thin as Kevin Durant until the Chicago Bulls staff got a hold of him and he turned out like he was - more muscular than he was when they drafted him.
    Hmm, i can't remember Pippen being touted as a the best player in the draft, so this is nothing like the Pippen situation. The ridiculous thing about this is that he has known for a long time that this was going to come up. He should have been prepared. Either get in the weight room for a few months so that you can bench your weight, or pass on the attempt all together. To attempt the lift and not be able to complete it shows an extreme lack of brain power. He is going to be a bust. :)

Also, ESPN stands for "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network". If you are going to be annoying, at least get it right.
    Last edited by vert48; 06-07-2007 at 02:42 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LakerRaider

They also made the point that this is not the NFL (National Football League) Combine. Lifting so much weight shouldn't matter. The only thing you need to worry about is the basketball which is one and a half pounds.
    Seriously, guy.

You have got to cut that out. That is annoying and pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    I weigh 210 and can't bench 185. I'm not a weight lifter.

Have you never seen Durant play?

Kid will be just fine..........
    So you are saying that Durant is just like you. Are you sure that is a compliment? How much did you sign for?

Quote Originally Posted by hippos
    His weakness will effect his game obviously. I have been saying all along that he won't be able to back down anyone, get to the basket as easy as he did in college(rebounding and driving), or be able to defend many small forwards when they back him down from the very beginning.
    He's got too much length for most SFs to post him. They can push him all they want to, but he's going to have over a foot of standing reach advantage on most of them so as soon as they get that ball up in the air he's going to swat it unless they fire it from awkward angles, which can be as bad as getting blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    When I was 16-17 or so, I went with my friend in the morning's to the local gym. I was around 180 pounds at the time (I'm 6'1") and had never lifted a weight in my life, nor done much manual labor of any sort. I had no problem doing 2-3 sets of 10 reps at 185 pounds.
    I find that hard to believe. Maybe genetics played a part in that? But Durant is rail thin. When I first started lifting weights I had to start out using the bar to get down the technique then gradually add weight. Lifting 185 took time. And I played sports and boxed. So i was in shape. Just not strong. Just never lifted any weights. But I remember kids who just genetically had bodies like they lifted before and didnt. And they could do more weight then me. Maybe you were one of those kids.

185 is basically 2 45lb plates and 2 25lb plates. Bar is generally 45lbs on its own. I just dont see a mofo who never lifted sitting down and pushing that off thier chest like you did. I can see Durant not lifting 185 once before i can see 2-3 sets of 10 at 185 from someone who never lifted weights a day in his life. Sorry.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    Hmm, i can't remember Pippen being touted as a the best player in the draft, so this is nothing like the Pippen situation. The ridiculous thing about this is that he has known for a long time that this was going to come up. He should have been prepared. Either get in the weight room for a few months so that you can bench your weight, or pass on the attempt all together. To attempt the lift and not be able to complete it shows an extreme lack of brain power. He is going to be a bust. :)

What does lifting a certain amount of weight have anything to do with basketball??? This is not the National Football League or the Strong Man's Competition.