Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Carmelo's offensive arsenal is the greatest the NBA has ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Is this a joke?

Last season, Melo shot .537 AT THE RIM and .477 on LAYUPS. How do you convert on less than 50% of your layups? In the playoffs, I'm sure he converted on less than 50% of his shots at the rim and less than 30% of layups.

Tony Allen, widely considered to be the worst finisher of the league, managed .569 at the rim and .524 on layups.

Compare that to James' .756 at the rim and .676 on layups. That is an 'elite finisher at the rim'.

Durant - .738 at the rim and .608 on layups.

Even 34 year old Kobe managed .693 at the rim and .635 on layups.

These are the perimeter scorers Melo is compared to. I know this is a troll thread, but Melo is an atrocious finisher at the rim. He is a good range shooter, but he does not have the best offensive arsenal in the NBA with respect to shooting. Even now - that belongs to Durant. And, lord, it's beyond an insult to compare him to the greats of the past.

When defenses keyed in on him in the playoffs, he was awful. He routinely shot his team out of games and played no part in 'ball movement'. People need to go revisit the playoff run he had.

I would take Paul George over Melo. The difference in defense between the two offsets the difference in offense where Melo is completely overrated imo. Sorry, he's a top 10 player in the league, but I don't want Melo on my team.
    You could have left this part out given Tony Allen probably takes a fraction of attempts at the rim to even use his %'s.

Everything else was cool in the post even tho I disagree with taking George over Melo but thats preference which I understand. The defense is cool in George favor but the ability to take over games, be clutch favors Melo. George has to emerge in this area for me to take him over Melo. Not like George isnt young and still progressing but I need to see it vs go on what isnt there.

Laugh all you want, you guys will be the first to be making excuses when Melo wins a chip next year.

I'll be watching it all unfold in the playoffs since the lakers are going to take a 1 year hiatus and Kobe will be doing the same thing then.

Offensive Juggernauts > Bulldozers

I've known guys that could score from anywhere on the court... and pass. And dribble. And score reliably.

If Melo had those things in his "arsenal," then why yes, he would be... top 5. Even as just a scorer, you've not convinced me how he has a wider "arsenal" than Jordan, Kobe, Bird, Hakeem, or Steve Nash, just to name the first 5 guys who came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    You could have left this part out given Tony Allen probably takes a fraction of attempts at the rim to even use his %'s.
    This is actually not true. Over the entire season and playoffs, Allen took 406 shots at the rim to Melo's 458, and 340 layups to Melo's 388. That is not that large of a difference considering the number of games played by both.

Contrast that to James who took 200 more shots at the rim than both, and >100 more layups, and converts at about 10-20% more than either. That shows how awful Melo is at finishing.

Everything else was cool in the post even tho I disagree with taking George over Melo but thats preference which I understand. The defense is cool in George favor but the ability to take over games, be clutch favors Melo. George has to emerge in this area for me to take him over Melo. Not like George isnt young and still progressing but I need to see it vs go on what isnt there.
    I see your point here, and I have no problem with anyone choosing Melo. The thing is, I know that however poorly George is playing offensively, he will always provide elite perimeter defense night in night out. If Melo's shot isn't falling, he has the habit of continuing to shoot and shoot, and he can ultimately shoot his team out of the game and still be a blackhole on defense.

Serious playground baller Lakers2877's Avatar

Melo has serious off game

But kobes got him beat.

i like slim melo more than the chubby cheerios melo.. i would say he has a lot of

offensive arsenal at his disposal, but the cringe worthy is that uhh, his

percentage is so low, needs to take 15-30 shots or more to score atleast 30.

if near the rim, he always goes with that soft ass layups when he needs to

dunk that shit....

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by LosScandalous

Elite level finisher at the rim
    lol wat. Melo is a horrible finisher at the rim. 54%.

Compare that to LeBron (77%), Wade (75%), Kobe (70%) and Harden (68%).

Terrible.

lol, Top 5 release point.

You people...

Laugh all you want, you guys will be the first to be making excuses when Melo wins a chip next year.

I'll be watching it all unfold in the playoffs since the lakers are going to take a 1 year hiatus and Kobe will be doing the same thing then.

How in the world do you think the Knicks are going to win the nba title next season?

If I had my choice of any player in the nba coming to the lakers, outside of Lebron, I might take Paul George. I would definitely take him over Melo.

Made that high school varsity squad BBallZen83's Avatar

Your buddy wilds09 predicted the juggernaut knicks to bulldoze the league last season. Well they had a rough time with a truly washed up and old celtic and were dismantled by the pacers. Enjoy your prediction come post season.

Hes won a grand total of 3 playoff series and has shot under 40% in 5 separate playoff runs

Carmelo is a mediocre athlete and an AWFUL finisher at the rim. Also you say his offensive arsenal is the greatest ever. Was his 2.5 assists per game so legendary?

Decent college freshman

Carmelo is a very good perimeter scorer and I give him credit because his teams always win more than the sum of their parts(after Melo). I mean, if you put say, even someone like Rudy Gay on that team they don't make the playoffs at all probably.

However, he is certainly not the most versatile scorer of all time and his lack of playmaking is an issue. Like its been said, he can't finish at the rim

I give him a lot of credit for that postgame and the way he fixed his 3 point shot though.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

carmelo is still a qt3.14 unlike lebron
    Are we going to compare LeBron and Melo's respective achievements? Do you really want to go there, son?