Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Default Getting called for carrys that NBA players don't even get called up for

I basically learned the game by watching the pros, only started playing a few years ago so never went through all those skill camps as a kid, and its only recently became apparent to me, despite my ace dribbling skills and ball control, its often considered a carry despite it being no different than steve nash or any other player in the league.

I honestly think the biggest difference between todays league and the league of old is that carrys just arn't called anymore so noone bothers to dribble all dorky like straight up and down and this inherently speeds the game up drastically.

Anyway its annoying because in pickup games I get called out by the older guys still playing in another generation. If its a carry fair enough but I can't help but think its basically the only way to stop me from crossing someone up and getting to the basket.

National High School Star

Default Re: Getting called for carrys that NBA players don't even get called up for

Quote Originally Posted by theaussieguy
    I basically learned the game by watching the pros, only started playing a few years ago so never went through all those skill camps as a kid, and its only recently became apparent to me, despite my ace dribbling skills and ball control, its often considered a carry despite it being no different than steve nash or any other player in the league.

I honestly think the biggest difference between todays league and the league of old is that carrys just arn't called anymore so noone bothers to dribble all dorky like straight up and down and this inherently speeds the game up drastically.

Anyway its annoying because in pickup games I get called out by the older guys still playing in another generation. If its a carry fair enough but I can't help but think its basically the only way to stop me from crossing someone up and getting to the basket.
    Are you in the NBA? Then you can't get away with it. FIBA calls carry's, double dribbles, travels, the whole lot. That's the rules you play by if your not in the USA.

Local rec leagues in Australia are over run by refs all making calls by the american game. Its ridiculous that they don't know the FIBA/World rules.

Love Live Life

Default Re: Getting called for carrys that NBA players don't even get called up for

If they don't call carry on you it's like you're basically cheating.

If you was in the states and played with us we would call that shit every time. It has nothing to do with age but everything to do with the rules.

You need to retrain yourself how to dribble. Also you can cross people without carrying too. I do it all the time.

Saw a basketball once Assassin85's Avatar

Down here in the Caribbean its the same thing, old dudes calling carrying on younger dudes when executing a hesitation crossover.

What i started to do is to mix up my moves a little more, use the through the leg crossover instead. There's no tendancy to carry the ball doing that

Serious playground baller

If you dribble hard enough you can hesitate without carrying. They were calling it in the NBA at least for a while after Allen Iverson started showing it.

the way most people play in Toronto is as long as you aren't getting an advantage (ie. bringing up the ball with no pressure) then it's fine, but if you keep doing a move that is helping you beat a guy and it's borderline you just tell the dude to stop, usually you do. Most of the time, just ends up in a argument

I prioritize a good run over confrontation. If they are quality ball players, they'll know what they are doing and stop once you mention it. They'd prefer to beat you without it if they had any competitive spirit. I know I would.

Only FIBA rules in our league.

thats your problem, you live in Australia.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    thats your problem, you live in Australia.
    ill feed you to a croc you kunt

That's why you need to follow the FIBA Rules.

BEAST

despite my ace dribbling skills and ball control, its often considered a carry despite it being no different than steve nash or any other player in the league.

you may feel like you are dribbling like Steve Nash....etc but you probably arent.

To avoid carried being called, you just have to make sure you are not palming the ball, your hand is always on top of the ball, not side ways or under it.

do pros get away with carrying? yes , they do from time to time, but they do get punished for overdoing it too.

thats why I usually let how opponents dictate how I'll play. I find it rude to start crossing nikkas up and breaking ankles, and playing iso hesitation if my opponents do not play like that. Although one crossover to my teammates or even an attempt and I'll start playing like a street baller.

We play FIBA Rules.