Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Default Re: Lettuce face reality: Tony Parker is the best PG in the game

Quote Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
    They played the Cavs. I mean dear god. Tim Duncan is one of the greats. And the Spurs only go as far as he takes them. Even though Tony Parker is a huge mismatch for those terrible point guards Cleveland had.
    Yah, the same Lebron-led Cavs who dismantled the Pistons defense the round before. And a Tony Parker-led Spurs swept that team. Wow, this is really a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guarantee a few shots go down for Lebron and that finals series ends up 4-2, there is nowhere near the disrespect for that team. It's like people magically forgot the performance that Lebron put on the series before. All I'm saying is let's not disrespect a PG who earned a Finals MVP by saying he is nowhere near a player he has taken out twice in the playoffs (swept this time, mind you) and typically has no trouble in the regular season with either. As a Spurs fan, we LOVE when Chris Paul takes the court...same with Steve Nash. Parker matches up well with these guys and usually has no problem getting the W in those situations. But yah, keep telling yourself he's nowhere close.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive
    Yah, the same Lebron-led Cavs who dismantled the Pistons defense the round before. And a Tony Parker-led Spurs swept that team. Wow, this is really a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guarantee a few shots go down for Lebron and that finals series ends up 4-2, there is nowhere near the disrespect for that team. It's like people magically forgot the performance that Lebron put on the series before. All I'm saying is let's not disrespect a PG who earned a Finals MVP by saying he is nowhere near a player he has taken out twice in the playoffs (swept this time, mind you) and typically has no trouble in the regular season with either. As a Spurs fan, we LOVE when Chris Paul takes the court...same with Steve Nash. Parker matches up well with these guys and usually has no problem getting the W in those situations. But yah, keep telling yourself he's nowhere close.
    Yes, I've never seen Parker get shut down by anyone, ever, but I have often seen him shutting down opposing elite PGs. Parker's defense is mad underrated.

He has the rings, he puts up the big playoff games, he plays hard on both ends of the floor, he is extremely consistent, dunno why clowns always discredit him. The Spurs have been Parkers team the past two seasons and the regular season record doesn't lie. In the playoffs they have been extremely unlucky with injuries.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    Tony is like the Rondo of the 2000 decade.

Lucky to have landed on a team with great players and was not anointed as a franchise savior as a lottery pick.

He benefited from not playing in a perennial crappy franchises like the Bucks or Bobcats.

Put Tony Parker in any of those teams since he was drafted in 2001 and he would fade into obscurity and no one would care about him (except maybe the French).
    Do you really think Tony Parker's teardrop would not be as unstoppable as it is if he didn't get drafted by the spurs?

I am convinced Tony Parker's tear drop is the best shot in basketball at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Do you really think Tony Parker's teardrop would not be as unstoppable as it is if he didn't get drafted by the spurs?

I am convinced Tony Parker's tear drop is the best shot in basketball at the moment.
    Even better than Kobe's fadeaway?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ballup
    Even better than Kobe's fadeaway?
    Yes.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive

Kyrie Irving is much better overall than Tony Parker. Rondo can embarrass and humiliate Parker on a nightly basis.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Kyrie Irving is much better overall than Tony Parker. Rondo can embarrass and humiliate Parker on a nightly basis.
    that never happens

that never happens
    Last time they played each other it did.

Rondo: 17/3/11 53% shooting
    Parker: 10/1/2 36% shooting

Hey, since you like using GM survey's for one player... let's see who they picked for the best PG in the game:

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?
    1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 69.0%
    2. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 20.7%
    3. Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 6.9%
    4. Tony Parker, San Antonio -- 3.4%
    Last year: Derrick Rose -- 59.3%

There's 3 of them and you can more than argue Steve Nash and Russell Westbrook (even though brook is more of a combo guard).

So much for Parker "always outplaying" the other top PG's.

Parker vs D-Rose (6 games)

Rose: 26/4/6/0/1 on 50/25/90
    Parker: 18/4/7/1/0 on 50/0/59

Vs. Deron Williams in the playoffs (5 games)

D-Will: 26/4/8/2/0 on 53/47/78
    Parker: 20/3/7/2/0 on 48/67/66

Steve Nash does well against him as well
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&p2=nashst01

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Hey, since you like using GM survey's for one player... let's see who they picked for the best PG in the game:

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?
    1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 69.0%
    2. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 20.7%
    3. Rajon Rondo, Boston -- 6.9%
    4. Tony Parker, San Antonio -- 3.4%
    Last year: Derrick Rose -- 59.3%

There's 3 of them and you can more than argue Steve Nash and Russell Westbrook (even though brook is more of a combo guard).
    Westbrook disastrously underrated in that poll

Yes, I've never seen Parker get shut down by anyone, ever, but I have often seen him shutting down opposing elite PGs.
    He played horribly against Westbrook. I don't know if you can call it shutting him down, but he did a great job on Tony forcing him to take ill advised shots.

Good High School Starter Celtic_Pride's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Westbrook disastrously underrated in that poll
    GM's are not stupid to consider Westbrook as a PG

Quote Originally Posted by onhcetum
    You guys don't watch basketball (at least the Spurs). He didn't have a shot when he first came in the league, but he has had a killer mid range shot since 2006. He's been running layup drills on opposing team's defenses as early as 2003. He's always been this good (since 2006). It's just now that he's getting love/publicity since the Spurs are on this incredible run. He's shot over 50% four times including two seasons of 55% and 52%... All this talk and hype about "scoring point guards" in Westbrook/Rose/Paul/DWilliams... I'm pretty Tony Parker has the most 40+ pt games out of all of them combined (I know he's been in the league longer than them, but I'm talking relatively speaking when you take into account games played/ratio).
    This is true

I remember multiple times in during sometime from 05-10 Parker led or was among the league leaders in points in the paint, as a point guard. All of the other names on the list were either big men or lengthy/oversized forwards such as Lebron who have clear height advantages over 99% of the other players (who have to guard him) at that position.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    So much for Parker "always outplaying" the other top PG's.

Parker vs D-Rose (6 games)

Rose: 26/4/6/0/1 on 50/25/90
    Parker: 18/4/7/1/0 on 50/0/59

Vs. Deron Williams in the playoffs (5 games)

D-Will: 26/4/8/2/0 on 53/47/78
    Parker: 20/3/7/2/0 on 48/67/66

Steve Nash does well against him as well
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&p2=nashst01
    Who are you quoting?