Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Decent playground baller coolhandsteve's Avatar

Default Clyde Drexler or Dominique Wilkins?

Which would you take in their prime?

Local High School Star

Default Re: Clyde Drexler or Dominique Wilkins?

give me a guy who doesnt look at the ball while dribbling

Clyde.

Better overall player. A past his prime Clyde put this numbers on the 1995 Finals against Orlando: 21.5 points, 9.5 rebounds and 6.5 assists..... As a second option.

Probably Clyde because he was better all-around.
    Also depends on what the team needs though.

Drexler was clearly a better passer/playmaker, pretty close to Wilkins as a rebounder and not far as a scorer, defense is a wash.
    I think Clyde was always blessed with better teammates though and Nique got screwed when they traded him in 1994, they could've done serious damage in the post-season.

Gotta say, Nique is underrated plenty of times, he was 2nd in MVP voting once, with peak Bird, Magic, Jordan, and so on, in the league, and he had a couple of really good Playoff runs while leading his team. He was also able to come back from a really serious injury and somewhat reinvent himself while having some really good couple of years.
    Just some examples. Clyde can been underrated too.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Clyde was one of the greats. Dominique was a high scoring small forward. The Melo of his day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola_
    give me a guy who doesnt look at the ball while dribbling
    I assume you mean Drexler, right? Well that guy was able to average over 6 apg at his best, going along with some pretty good scoring numbers

Dragic=GOAT, kobe=beta

The one with a ring.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Clyde is better due to overall game. He passes better and plays better defense too. Wilkins was a high flying scorer really that could rebound alright. Kind of like melo but more atheltic with a lesser jumper

To be fair, Clyde had a better team than Nique. Clyde had Kiki( from the beginning ) , Kersey, Porter, Duckworth, Buck, Drazen, and Cliff. Nique had only Doc and Willis to go up against the great Celtics.

Clyde was more well rounded and Nique was a bit better scorer. I say it's a wash between them. It's a crime that Nique was not on the top 50.

I would say Clyde narrowly due SOLELY because of better all around game. Clyde had seasons where he put up 8 assists in a season. Clyde is one of the top 5-7 passing SG's ever along with guys like MJ, Kobe, Pete, Wade, AI, and West. Even though Clyde was clearly an alpha dog, Nique was an even better one. For starters, Nique is NUMBER ONE ALL TIME for the most points ever for a SF in NBA history. U got Big O for PG's, MJ for SG's, Mailman for PF's, and Kareem for C's. That's how epic Nique was. If Nique could have got his passing to the level of at least a Dr. J or Durant, I would take him over Clyde. Doc or Durant weren't the passer Drexler was, but I feel they were the better player. Clyde was an alpha dog and close to the level Nique was in that regard. While Nique was nowhere close to Clyde in terms of passing. It's hard to top an alpha dog scorer who's also a great all around player. But it's damn near a tossup due to Nique dominance scoring the rock and being a great rebounding SF maxing out at 9 a game.

I also agree Clyde played with more talented teams throughout his career than Nique. As much as Nique as done for the L in terms of the All Star games, VHS tapes, dunk contests, the anchor of TBS due to the Hawks, he tends to not get his just shine still. Nique was right there with MJ, Magic, Bird, Isiah, and Chuck as the guys Stern really marketed in the Golden Age of the L.
    Last edited by bizil; 02-28-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    To be fair, Clyde had a better team than Nique. Clyde had Kiki( from the beginning ) , Kersey, Porter, Duckworth, Buck, Drazen, and Cliff. Nique had only Doc and Willis to go up against the great Celtics.

Clyde was more well rounded and Nique was a bit better scorer. I say it's a wash between them. It's a crime that Nique was not on the top 50.
    I agree with u on all counts! It's basically a wash for real. But if I had to choose, I would pick Clyde. But Nique is my favorite player of all time though. The main reason why is the huge gap between the passing and the MUCH SMALLER gap between the scoring. IF Nique could have got to a Durant or Dr. J type 5-6 dimes a game, I would take Nique flat out over Clyde. And even arguably would now.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Clyde was one of the greats. Dominique was a high scoring small forward. The Melo of his day.
    I view it similar to Wade vs Melo.

The one who won a ring with the Rockets

Drexler was better at everything else other than scoring and that was pretty close. Nique's high is what 30, Clydes is 27.

Nique was the better scorer, but I'm gonna go with Clyde, as he was a more well rounded player. Clyde would give you a solid 20-25 a game and got other guys involved (one of the best passing 2's ever), and he was much better defensively. I feel both are underrated though.
    Last edited by Warfan; 03-01-2014 at 03:31 AM.