Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: 10 seconds left, tied up, ball in Jordans hands. Who do you chose to defend him?

Dumars did the best job on him, but I think Rodman might've been able to do better. He was just usually assigned to Pippen because of the matchups the Bulls and Pistons had (at least that's what I'm assuming). It's crazy that those Pistons had what were probably 2 of the 10 best perimeter defender of the past 20 years.

College star

Default Re: 10 seconds left, tied up, ball in Jordans hands. Who do you chose to defend him?

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    prime Kobe.

gotta go with lebron

prime kobe is halfway down the court looking for his shot, and besides, lakers always puts the taller defender on the opposing teams best player

Real life example - Bulls were down by few points, and with 3 secs left Jordan got the ball, lost his man and went for the 3PT. Hakeem was in the post but instantly recognized the threat, in a split second got to Jordan and blocked his hot.

Of all the All-time great defenders who could check the MJ, Hakeem probably would be the best - he had exceptional quickness, length, wingspan and high BBIQ to go with it.

Muggsy Bogues..

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Dumars did the best job on him, but I think Rodman might've been able to do better. He was just usually assigned to Pippen because of the matchups the Bulls and Pistons had (at least that's what I'm assuming). It's crazy that those Pistons had what were probably 2 of the 10 best perimeter defender of the past 20 years.
    So did the Bulls

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    So did the Bulls
    Bulls had 3 in 96. Rodman and Jordan had fallen off a bit on D at that point, but they were still probably best at their position in the league (at least off the top of my head)

Pippen. Jordan would never expect his own teammate to guard him.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

1. Pippen
    2. Rodman
    3. Cooper

John Havlicek

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Prime Kobe was just a beast on the defensive end. I think MJ will get his crap blocked by Kobe. This is what basically will happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqMuo12ex4

So smart of you bringing up this example. He didn't type "Prime" but he obviously refer to Prime Jordan.

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world
    Kobe for me

I dont think he will allow his team to lose, then again, neither would MJ
    Kobe hits 25 percent on game winners, he always lets his team lose.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Kobe because it would be hilarious either way.

With 10 seconds left, it's harder for anyone to stop Jordan. I think he's a 50% shooter in those situations, and that percentage was ruined by crazy wild, almost no look 3 point shots that had no chance of going in.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Depends what team Jordan is playing on - real teams or some fantasy stuff? If it's the 2nd 3peat Bulls I'd double off Rodman. Leave the Center on Longley and hope he's quick enough to challenge Rodman if he gets an easy opportunity at the basket.
    The Sonics tried that in 96. He set a record for offensive rebounds in a game. Twice.
    Yes, but that tactic would be only for one situation and that's the endgame situation. If Jordan pulls up with 2 seconds remaining an offensive rebound is of no concern, because Rodman won't get an uncontested putback if the center isn't totally uncapable

I'd try to get Jordan to pass the ball to an open teammate that hasn't got a good FT% and foul immediately if there's no more foul to give.
    So now youre team is in the penaly for long stretches of the game and you have players in fould trouble.
    Again, that's for the last shot in an deciding game, let's say game 7 of the finals, so penalties and foul trouble doesn't matter. My scenario relies on being in the penalty. If my team wasn't I'd just foul Jordan with 5 seconds left and deny the inbounds pass to him and rotate as quick as possible.

I'd put Kobe or Wade on Jordan and Grant(whatever PF is on the Lakerssquad, doesn't matter) or Bosh as a doubleteam. Although they're slower than Jordan they'd be there to consumate space and bait Jordan into passing to the open man.
    The lakers tried that in 91. The result is Jorddan found Paxson wide open time after time.
    That's why I would double off Rodman and not off a spotupshooter. I'd put a body infront of Jordan and force his decision.

I'd really try to get a last shot and rather go down by one, than gamble on Jordan himself and lose without a chance to tie/win.
    If Jordan has the ball in a tie game with 17 seconds on the clock, you aint getting it back.
    If Jordan hogs the ball I'd just foul him. If I let Jordan shoot there's a 50% chance he hits it(based on MJ playoff gamewinners). If I foul him the chance to win or tie the game is (based on 49,1 FG% of the average finals opponent - I know it's marginalized a little bit):

3,35%(Jordan misses both fts)+14,68%(Jordan misses 1FT - my team hits GW)+32,77%(Jordan hits both FTs - my team ties)=50,8% to tie or win.

So the chance is 0,8% better

To win in any case it would be:

1,64%(Jordan misses both FTs - my team hits GW)+14,68%(Jordan misses FT - my team hits GW)+24,50%(Jordan hits both my team hits GW 3pt fg)=40,82%

So statistically the best way would be to foul him and take a chance on a last shot to tie or win the game rather than let him shoot and have no shot at a game tying shot. Of course both is a gamble at near 50% chance.