Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: How is Tony Parker not the best PG in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive
    Anything with substance besides just "he looks to be better." I think that mentaility is the same mentality responsible for All-Star voting. I'm arguing that I think this is why he's regarded by most as the best point guard in the league...because his demeanor seems to exude "winner" without actually having to win.

I am on the other side of this argument being a Cowboys fan. Most "fans" want Romo traded, yet I argue he is a very good quarterback. I can use the fact that coming into this season he had the 2nd highest QBR of all-time. But he hasn't been able to lead his team deep into the playoffs, which means I would NEVER argue he is the best in the league if he can't. I think some of his potential is held back by the fact that 1 out of every 10 shotgun snaps goes over his head or hits the ground before it gets to him. I could argue that his O-Line is terrible, he's never had a quality RB who could stay healthy and so he has to pass 62 times a game, and that his "best" receivers often lead the league in dropped passes. All of that sucks and could be reasons why Romo could have the most potential of any QB in the league and never be the "best." But I won't argue he is unless it comes together for him.

But for some reason in basketball, where individuals are even MORE important to team succes, a guy could be in the league for this long and never make a deep playoff run, yet still be considered the best year after year after year? (I know you're not arguing he's the best PG every year, but most do).

Wow, you're really twisting words. I've already said Parker has been clearly better this year and that I even think he was better last year. If you think him being the PG on a winning team makes him the best then like what you like and accuse me of whatever mentality you want. You want substance? You're not giving any. Chris Paul does more to help his team win. Not more things, more in actual impact. Tony Parker isn't in the same stratosphere as far as passing. Both do a great job of controlling the game but I take Paul there. He's the better defender. He makes more plays. I've said all this. And you're telling me about substance. All you're saying is that Tony Parker is a great player on a great team that has had more playoff success than Paul's teams.

If you think Parker is better, that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive
    That's Tony's downfall...playing with those guys. Also doesn't help to be on one of the best passing teams in history...that means spreading out the assists so now you don't look like you're "running the show" like these other guys who operate in more stagnent offenses. If you're saying that Parker can't run a "show" that can't make it to the Finals as well, I would have to concede that. To put it this way, I don't think the Spurs get better if you replace Parker with Paul or Williams.
    I've said Parker is a very good passer while being a GREAT scorer. I've said depending on the team Parker could be a better fit than Paul or D-Will. Parker is that great. But I still feel that Paul and Williams are more well balanced and great at the technical skills of PG AND alpha dog scoring.

Tony Parker isn't even really a PG. He's always been a SG that just guards the one, and gets labeled a PG. He's never even been used like a PG the whole time he's been with the Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Tony Parker isn't even really a PG. He's always been a SG that just guards the one, and gets labeled a PG. He's never even been used like a PG the whole time he's been with the Spurs.
    Good point! People need to realize that many very talented players under 6'3 are really SG's skillset and mentality wise. Many of them are very capable of playing PG, but ultimately their skills or mentality are that of a SG. It's why Larry Brown moved AI to SG and played him with a bigger more physical PG who could guard SG's in Snow. SG's like MJ, Kobe, T Mac, and Wade are SG's but also have the skills to be PG's as well. It's the same thing for guys like Rose, Parker, and Russell. They just happen to be the size of most PG's and it can be more difficult to define smaller guards than bigger guards. I really think that if u have a bigger PG 6'4 and up who can free up guys like Westbrook, Parker, AI, Francis, etc. that it might be better to play them off the ball more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague

Don't agree with this at all. Just because he's a scorer doesn't mean he's not a PG. He's a PG.