Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

Default Bulls get Gasol but lose out on Ariza. Also what about Taj?

I know they just signed Gasol. But Ariza signed with the Rockets. Who is left now for the Bulls? They really need to push for Lance Stephenson.

Also, trade Taj now? I doubt Gasol comes off the bench for the Bulls. If he was going to be a bench player, he probably would have signed with the Spurs. And Mirotic might join the Bulls next season. So there's no room for Taj. Should the Bulls try and trade him now?

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Default Re: Bulls get Gasol but lose out on Ariza. Also what about Taj?

Ugh, we're going to hear this a lot. Which is why I'm only going to explain this once.

Gasol and Taj play both 4 and 5 spots. So really, we're actually okay with keeping all 3, because that means we have no traditional centers on the team.

The issue we have now, is making sure we have ball handlers backing Rose up for his inevitable injuries(even if they aren't knee related).

Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

The main issue is still scoring more than anything. They need a 2 or 3 that can put up 20+ PPG on a regular basis.

College superstar

I'm ok with having a deep front court. But IF (huge if) Mirotic is ready to play in the NBA and contribute, then a very valuable offensive piece will be rotting behind Noah, Gasol, Gibson.
    If Mirotic is not quite ready, and has a very subpar freshman year, then I'm ok with that rotation.

That being said, I do think that it makes the most sense for the Bulls to trade Gibson and Dunleavy combined for a scoring wing.

Rose/Hinrich
    Trade/Snell
    Butler/McDermott
    Gasol/Mirotic
    Noah/Gasol/FreeAgent

Possible trade targets, listed Most to Least likely for the other team to accept
    JR Smith (would have to get Hardaway Jr or something, too)
    Redick/Dudley (that shooting )
    Martin/Budinger
    Derozan (would likely have to give up a pick, and I"d be ok with that)

My favorite is obviously Derozan, though I like Redick/Dudley a lot, too. Edit: Dudley is an expirer. We obviously wouldn't keep/play him.
    Last edited by kshutts1; 07-14-2014 at 02:24 PM.

And the Bulls get 34-year-old 7-footer Pau Gasol. His contract is said to be starting at somewhere around $6.5 million, but forget about money and think about basketball.

I like this. I do. It

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    Ugh, we're going to hear this a lot. Which is why I'm only going to explain this once.

Gasol and Taj play both 4 and 5 spots. So really, we're actually okay with keeping all 3, because that means we have no traditional centers on the team. The issue we have now, is making sure we have ball handlers backing Rose up for his inevitable injuries(even if they aren't knee related).
    Not sure why you don't consider Noah as a "traditional center"
    They just signed Kirk and Im also worried about his ability to stay healthy.
    Here are some of available PGs
    Both Rodney Stuckey and Sessions are pretty good penatrators and creators.
    I thought Memphis has re-signed Udrih but nba.com still listed him as available.
    both Jerryd Bayless and Aaron Brooks are more of a scoring/shooting PGs.
    Both undersized but I think Kirk who is listed as 6-4 can handle some smaller SG's.
    Ronnie Price is decent IMO.
    And oh, I almost forgot Mo Williams is also available. This guy has a good range, can handle the ball well etc and is a veteran.
    Last edited by tamaraw08; 07-15-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Noah, a traditional center? Yeah, I wouldn't consider him anywhere close to being a traditional center. And in an era where the Center position is mostly made up of the tallest power forwards, I wouldn't consider that a ding by any means.

College superstar

Noah, a traditional center? Yeah, I wouldn't consider him anywhere close to being a traditional center. And in an era where the Center position is mostly made up of the tallest power forwards, I wouldn't consider that a ding by any means.
    Traditional is relative. I'd say Noah is one of the more traditional centers in the game today.

Howard, Jefferson, Gasol... Noah is definitely up there after those three.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Traditional is relative.
    Contradiction. No, traditional is not relative.

Contradiction. No, traditional is not relative.
    root word tradition
    as in
    1. a long-established or inherited way of thinking
    2. a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.
    What time frame are you talking about then? Last 3 yrs, then yes, you are right? But the past 30 years or so?

At least I should thank you for looking the word up. But 3 years, traditional? You can start a new tradition, but to be traditional in context, means a player of a position fits into the history of that position. In today's league, MANY traditional positions do not exist for many teams. Therefore it would be a neo-prototypical, or hybrid. Tweener.

Noah is VERY far from ANY traditional center position. Unless we want to throw out the official and established definitions, and just make our own definitions up. Then you can basically call Noah a very tall Point Guard, for all I care.

College superstar

At least I should thank you for looking the word up. But 3 years, traditional? You can start a new tradition, but to be traditional in context, means a player of a position fits into the history of that position. In today's league, MANY traditional positions do not exist for many teams. Therefore it would be a neo-prototypical, or hybrid. Tweener.

Noah is VERY far from ANY traditional center position. Unless we want to throw out the official and established definitions, and just make our own definitions up. Then you can basically call Noah a very tall Point Guard, for all I care.
    It's all a technicality, and literally has zero bearing on anything (other than being right, and I"m, unfortunately, one of those guys). But my explanation is below if you care to read it, lol.

My point was that Noah is a defender and rebounder, with little else as a role. Since Shaq retired, the C position has been basically "athletic rebounders and defenders" and that's about it. McGee. Hibbert. Chandler. Deandre. Dwight. Splitter. Dalembert. Joel Anthony. Garnett (later years, obviously). Perkins. Noah. All of those guys have played meaningful minutes on playoff teams.

Then there are guys like Drummond, Asik, Sanders, Noel (?), etc.. players that have not been around much, but clearly fit that bill.

There are some outliers... namely Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez (though his brother, Robin, fits the bill), Cousins, Al Jefferson, and maybe another one or two that I forgot.

But for the most part, the new C is asked to rebound and play D. That's it. And yes, Noah fits that. Yes, Noah is traditional. Since about 2007/8, when Shaq became less relevant. Hell, could argue for it being sooner, since Shaq was basically the last of "his" kind.