1990-91: 44 games
    1991-92: 47 games

Shot Chart

At Rim: 629/847 FG (74.3%)
    In Paint (Overall): 786/1333 FG (59.0%)
    Midrange: 793/1552 FG (51.1%)
    3 Point: 93/243 FG (38.3%)

Synergy Offense

PPP stands for Points Per Play. I did not record the number of possessions, but rather the number of offensive plays that Jordan was involved in, meaning he either attempted a FG and/or FT, or turned the ball over (on drives to the hoop). I did not record any FTA he had as a result of intentional fouls or penalty fouls where he was not aggressively attacking or attempting to make an offensive play. No technical FT's are on the chart either. Every play category aside from Transition is in a half court set, and transition also includes jump shots, though this was very rare. The Other category primarily consists of desperate attempts to beat the clock, including the full court buzzer beaters.

There are several sub-categories out of Isolation. Jordan tended to be quick and decisive, very seldom holding onto the ball longer than 3-4 seconds like the wing players do in this era. Another category is Drive To Basket, which measures his effectiveness driving to the hoop strictly in the half court. Every other category is basically a jumper, though if there is a pick in the two man game that enables him to get an advantage over the defense, then it is recorded as under the P&R Ball Handler category. This includes jump shots as well as drives to the hoop.

Shot Attempts Blocked (Offense): 67

*This means 2.1% of his shots (3128 FGA) were blocked in this footage

Overall Chart

Isolation Plays Only

Team Performance

Plus/Minus

Plus/Minus Total: +1767

Plus/Minus Per 100: +18.3

On/Off

On Court ORtg: 123.9

Off Court ORtg: 88.3

Net ORtg: +35.6

On Court DRtg: 105.5

Off Court DRtg: 114.8

Net DRtg: -9.3

On/Off Net Rating: 44.9

Clutch Play

59 Total Games

http://i.imgur.com/NdBpttO.png

4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points

Plus/Minus Total: +246

Plus/Minus Per 48: +48.8

Win Percentage: 74.6 %

1 on 1 Defense

15/55 FG (27.3%)

Total Statistics

Per 48 Statistics

Sports Illustrated - May 21, 1990

It wasn't so much that Hawkins scored only two points in the final 12 minutes, it was more that Jordan wouldn't even let him touch the ball. The least recognized part of Jordan's game is his ability to slip picks and suddenly pop up in the passing lane, like a kid who finds a shortcut to the candy store. "Nobody has ever been better at the end of a game than Michael," said Bulls coach Phil Jackson afterward. " Oscar Robertson was great, but this guy is a closer at both ends."

Sports Illustrated - June 28, 1993

There would seem to be four players with whom realistically to compare Jordan: Magic and Bird, both of whom were three-time regular-season MVPs; Bill Russell, the ultimate winner, who led the Celtics to 11 championships in 13 seasons; and Oscar Robertson, whose versatility, leadership and coldhearted competitiveness during 13 seasons make him closest to Jordan in playing style.

"Oscar was great defensively when he wanted to be," says 68-year-old Bull assistant Johnny Bach. "But Michael is the Tasmanian devil."

"No matter what the game is or who you're playing against, you have to want the ball."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIAow8OKOeM
    Last edited by PHILA; 11-27-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Default Re: 1990-1992 Michael Jordan Shot Chart

**** them corner threes. Nice job OP.

Sunshine State

Dat midrange

One last thing I forgot to add in the OP, Jordan's driving tendencies in isolation.

Jordan's shooting tendencies & effectiveness when making a move off the dribble either to the left or right. Also recorded turnovers in each of these instances, including stolen pass outs, offensive fouls, getting stripped by the defense, or being forced into a jump ball (and possession lost).

Drive Right

Pull-Up Jumper/Runner/Leaner - 292 Plays, 35 Fouls, 146/249 FG (58.6%), 14 TOV, 358 Points, 1.23 PPP

Attack Basket - 225 Plays, 85 Fouls, 107/161 FG (66.5%), 1 TOV, 353 Points, 1.57 PPP

Overall - 517 Plays, 120 Fouls, 253/410 FG (61.7%), 15 TOV, 711 Points, 1.38 PPP

Drive Left

Pull-Up Jumper/Runner/Leaner - 212 Plays, 28 Fouls, 104/189 FG (55.0%), 2 TOV, 250 Points, 1.18 PPP

Attack Basket - 345 Plays, 109 Fouls, 154/232 FG (66.4%), 34 TOV, 479 Points, 1.39 PPP

Overall - 557 Plays, 137 Fouls, 258/421 FG (61.3%), 36 TOV, 729 Points, 1.31 PPP
    Last edited by PHILA; 11-27-2013 at 12:33 PM.

I have no words, absolutely incredible. Thanks for your hard work, it'll take me some time to digest.

I am your soldier!

Cool. I love the measly 1/1 as the roll man on PnR

Dude always ran the show.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    **** them corner threes. Nice job OP.
    Yes he was not a player who relied much on his 3 point shooting. He was particularly excellent at quickly flashing to the post and playing out of the pivot. If the defense denied him the ball, they would swing it around and he would pop out off a screen and get the ball at the top of the key often attacking the vulnerable defense at this point, not allowing his man to catch up. No doubt he ranks up with Russell as the best of all time in the NBA.

In this example below, Miami fails to keep the ball out of his hands in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuVO-yxZNqg&t=3m46s

Another quick flash into the post against New York, but this ends up with Jordan coming off the screen and into a quick isolation at the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDqJZ96hOBU&t=2m7s

The Jordan Rules: The Inside Story of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls - Sam Smith

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

GOAT gonna GOAT

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Jesus that's a lot of info. Good shit. Will look through this later.

I don't even know if this is common knowledge because it seems like something that would be. But since I never heard of it... Is there a correlation between higher percentage for right handed shooters on the left corner and vice versa?

Because personally when I ball, I never noticed a difference. Then again, I have never had my shots charted either.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Jesus that's a lot of info. Good shit. Will look through this later.

I don't even know if this is common knowledge because it seems like something that would be. But since I never heard of it... Is there a correlation between higher percentage for right handed shooters on the left corner and vice versa?

Because personally when I ball, I never noticed a difference. Then again, I have never had my shots charted either.
    Like Wade, Im a right handed player that tends to naturally go the left. It must be due to mechanics and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    That shot selection, and field goal efficiency is like the greatest combination of prime Kobe, and current prime LeBron's games / mentality.

Well, not much else to say that I didn't already know. Thanks for putting the work. GOAT gonna GOAT, I guess.
    Basically what some of us have been saying for eons.

if you combined the best of Kobe at his best
    The best of Bron at his best
    And the best of Wade at his best

You get MJ

That shot selection, and field goal efficiency is like the greatest combination of prime Kobe, and current prime LeBron's games, mentality and skills.

The dominance off the dribble, and finishing around the basket with above 50% efficiency like LeBron. The insane mid range shooting ability, and the good 3 point shooting to stretch the defense? Basically being a smarter, but equally skilled Kobe?

Well, not much else to say that I didn't already know. Just look at this data folks. All you Kobe stans, LeBron stans, hell Wade stans. MJ in his prime was all three of those guys combined in terms of game. But with superior mental, and will power. Thanks for putting the work. GOAT gonna GOAT, I guess.

andgar923, thoughts?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Hmm.. seems like Jordan's only real weakness is creation through PnR and long range baseline shots.

Phila is there any reason why there's only 126 games from the total sample of 300 from 90-92?
    Last edited by tpols; 11-27-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    That shot selection, and field goal efficiency is like the greatest combination of prime Kobe, and current prime LeBron's games, mentality and skills.

The dominance off the dribble, and finishing around the basket with above 50% efficiency like LeBron. The insane mid range shooting ability, and the good 3 point shooting to stretch the defense? Basically being a smarter, but equally skilled Kobe?

Well, not much else to say that I didn't already know. Just look at this data folks. All you Kobe stans, LeBron stans, hell Wade stans. MJ in his prime was all three of those guys combined in terms of game. But with superior mental, and will power. Thanks for putting the work. GOAT gonna GOAT, I guess.

andgar923, thoughts?
    Read above

And yeah, what you said, what some of us have been saying for years, and why the majority consider him GOAT.

There's no type of defense that would stop him.

Zone? he'd laugh at it and spit on it. It actually plays to his strengths, creating tons of mismatch opportunities because he was skilled AND smart enough to dissect it with precision.

EVERY type of defense was played on him, there isn't any kind of rule bending, and ploys used against him. He was simply to athletic, too smart, too skilled.

GOAT gonna GOAT

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Is there a correlation between higher percentage for right handed shooters on the left corner and vice versa?

There is usually a correlation.

With baseline jumpers:

- Left handers are better on the right side.
    - Right handers are better on the left side.

It has to do with the position of the backboard. If you're on the baseline on the left side, and you're left handed, the backboard obstructing the shot more than if you're right handed.

On the rest of the floor left handers are generally better on the right side, and vice versa.