Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Top 3 Power Forwards of All-Time

Duncan
    Dirk
    KG

in this order, the best 3 PFs in this era! Dirk's defensive is underrated and KG's offensive is way overrated! He's stats padding at SF position in early of his career if you guys can't remember that~

Quote Originally Posted by MavsPoke
    No reason to rank KG that high unless you fall for him screaming at the camera in a Celtics uniform and thumping his chest. If you fell for that act then I just feel sorry for you.
    If you can't acknowledge his game beyond that then I feel bad for you

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    If you can't acknowledge his game beyond that then I feel bad for you
    I think he's just pointing to KG being a little over-rated for reasons that seem to not exist on the court.

Which is true. The idea that KG is in a different class of player than Dirk is just silly.

I have KG over Dirk, but that gap is starting to get really close as the years go by.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Here we go with the hype. Dirk is no doubt the best PF in the league and one of the best players ever (top 20 probably), but he is not a top 3 PF of all time.

No way I take Dirk over Duncan, KG, Malone, and Barkley. Though Dirk has a strong argument for 5th best PF ever. I think Dirk edges out Rodman and McHale for the 5th spot.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I think he's just pointing to KG being a little over-rated for reasons that seem to not exist on the court.

Which is true. The idea that KG is in a different class of player than Dirk is just silly.

I have KG over Dirk, but that gap is starting to get really close as the years go by.
    Prime KG was in a different class than Dirk. He was much better than Dirk ever was. Dirk has been blessed to have a always deep talented supporting cast including at one time having prime Nash. KG had trash for the first 12 years of his career on Minny and still even got them to the WCF once (or maybe twice I don't remember). The thought of prime KG and prime Nash on the same team is scary.

KG was a far superior defender, passer, rebounder than Dirk. Dirk has a slight edge on offense though.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

1) Hakeem Olajuwon

2) Eh do the rest matter?

Quote Originally Posted by LebronGOAT
    Prime KG was in a different class than Dirk. He was much better than Dirk ever was. Dirk has been blessed to have a always deep talented supporting cast including at one time having prime Nash. KG had trash for the first 12 years of his career on Minny and still even got them to the WCF once (or maybe twice I don't remember). The thought of prime KG and prime Nash on the same team is scary.

KG was a far superior defender, passer, rebounder than Dirk. Dirk has a slight edge on offense though.
    Not really actually.

And Nash didn't emerge as an elite player until 2002. In 2002, the Mavs swept KG in the playoffs with Dirk being the best player in the series. The Mavs then lost to the 02 Kings....the best team in the league. No way KG in place of Dirk gets by the 02 Kings.

Then we have 03. The Mavs made the WCF and Dirk got hurt in game 3 never played again. To get there, the Mavs won 2 game 7's. Dirk had over 30 and 10 in both. Perhaps a healthy KG gets by the Spurs in the WCF.....but maybe a healthy Dirk does as well.

The we have 04. Finley declined and Nash battled a bad back all year and wore down again late in the year. Nash had so many nagging injuries that the Mavs decided to let him go.

And thats it. That was the entire Nash and Dirk era. 3 years together at elite levels. 1 year beaten by a flat out better team and the next somewhat derailed by injuries.

So sorry, don't see KG doing much differently in that situation.

You're all insane.

Malone and Barkley would slaughter Nowitzki and KG.
    Too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool
    You're all insane.

Malone and Barkley would slaughter Nowitzki and KG.
    Too strong.
    Is this a one on one game?

They are all great. All I ask is that people stop acting like KG/Barkley/Malone are on a different level than Dirk. That is over now. Its done. This year has officially brought Dirk into the conversation.

I still have those guys over Dirk, but that gap is getting smaller and smaller after each game Dirk continues to play at such a high level.

The "Peak kg was light years above Dirk" argument is flat out revisionist history bullshit. 2004 KG was light years above 2004 Dirk because that was KGs best year and Dirk's worst. Other than that? They were close with KG probably having a slight edge from about 1999-2004. 2005 was close but different. Dirk has been clearly better since 2006 though. I just dont see how when they played at the same time and dirks been better for as many seasons already(and was MUCH closer in several of them than KG is now) and has so many more left that you rank KG higher.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    The "Peak kg was light years above Dirk" argument is flat out revisionist history bullshit. 2004 KG was light years above 2004 Dirk because that was KGs best year and Dirk's worst. Other than that? They were close with KG probably having a slight edge from about 1999-2004. 2005 was close but different. Dirk has been clearly better since 2006 though. I just dont see how when they played at the same time and dirks been better for as many seasons already(and was MUCH closer in several of them than KG is now) and has so many more left that you rank KG higher.
    Exactly this.

Not to mention that Dirk outplayed KG in a playoff series in 02.

Total revisionist history. KG definitely had a better "peak", but saying its not close or light years above is silly.

Just look at the career playoff numbers:

26/11/3 on 59% TS for Dirk

20/11/4 on 52% TS for KG

Yes, KG is a much better defender. But Dirk is a much better scorer and clutch player.

The idea that KG is clearly superior to Dirk is laughable. That gap has been small for sometime now and continues to get smaller and smaller.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Exactly this.

Not to mention that Dirk outplayed KG in a playoff series in 02.

Total revisionist history. KG definitely had a better "peak", but saying its not close or light years above is silly.

Just look at the career playoff numbers:

26/11/3 on 59% TS for Dirk

20/11/4 on 52% TS for KG

Yes, KG is a much better defender. But Dirk is a much better scorer and clutch player.

The idea that KG is clearly superior to Dirk is laughable. That gap has been small for sometime now and continues to get smaller and smaller.
    That's pretty incredible.

04 KG was better than any version of Dirk by a noticeable amount IMO. Dirks longevity and continued playoff runs will help him in the long run in terms of all time ranking, but nothing changes the advantage KG had over Dirk in their effective primes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    That's pretty incredible.
    People don't understand the kind of company Dirk is in with his playoff career.

He is tied with Jerry West for the most 30 point games in elimination games in NBA history.

He is one of 4 players all time to average over 25 points and 10 boards. The other three are Baylor/Hakeem/Pettit.

Dirk's teams have never lost a game 7. 5-0 in do or die games. Dirk has had 3 game 7's with over 30 and 10.

Dirk has now made the conference finals three different times with three completely different teams.

Dirk is 7th all time in playoff PER.

Dirk is 4th all time in win shares per 48 minutes in the playoffs.

Dirk is 10th all time in ppg in the playoffs.

And a bunch of other shit as well.

He's a legend. One of the all time greats and definitely in the same class as KG as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    04 KG was better than any version of Dirk by a noticeable amount IMO. Dirks longevity and continued playoff runs will help him in the long run in terms of all time ranking, but nothing changes the advantage KG had over Dirk in their effective primes.
    KG's peak of 03/04/05 is simply staggering how good it was.

Basically averaging 23 points 14 boards 6 assists while playing all time great defense. Only Shaq and Duncan and Lebron can touch that in this era and not many more players all time can.

Thats the main reason I rank KG over Dirk still.