Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: San Antonio Spurs: For Old Time Sake | 2k13 Association

Second Round Recap:

Western Conference:
    Spurs vs. Nuggets
    What I predicted: Spurs win 4-2
    What happened: Spurs win 4-1

Just a game off of the correct prediction, I feel pretty good about what I said here. Danilo Gallinari didn't step up as hoped for, in fact, he choked pretty hard. The Nuggets only truly showed up to 2 games (3 and 5) and won just one of those. Losing by at least 10 points in 3 of the 5 games is not what you want to see as a team.

Thunder vs. Lakers
    What I predicted: Thunder win 4-3
    What happened: Lakers win 4-2

Somebody forgot to tell me that no Thunder players outside of Westbrook and Durant were planning on really showing up for this series. Pulling 2 games after being down 3-0 is nice, but I'm sure this was not the playoff run Scott Brooks was expecting his team to have. Deciding game 6, get outscored 21-14 in the fourth quarter? Yuck! Kobe played fantastic through the series, with alternating stellar performances from Nash, Howard, and Gasol, as well as surprising bench performance.

Eastern Conference:
    Heat vs. Nets
    What I prediced: Heat win 4-2
    What happened: Heat win 4-0

Pretty disappointing series to be honest. None of the games were exceptionally close and Miami's big three is still very scary and seemingly unanswerable. We'll have to wait and see if Chicago has the answer (a very different team from Atlanta and Brooklyn).

Bulls vs. Knicks
    What I predicted: Knicks win 4-2
    What happened: Bulls win 4-2

It wasn't all just Derrick Rose, but rather a fantastic team effort. Guys like Rip, Boozer, and Noah really stepped up in ways I didn't expect. New York losing 'Melo for most of game 5 really hurt them. The Bulls strategy seemed to be let Carmelo do whatever the hell he wants and put up as many shots as he wants, then just deny everyone else. I'm not sure if they'll see that much success with a similar strategy against Miami.

Conference Finals Preview

East:
    San Antonio Spurs vs. Los Angeles Lakers
    1999: Spurs beat Lakers 4-0 in Conf. Semifinals; win title
    2001: Lakers beat Spurs 4-0 in Conf. Finals; win title
    2002: Lakers beat Spurs 4-1 in Conf. Semifinals; win title
    2003: Spurs beat Lakers 4-2 in Conf. Semifinals; win title
    2004: Lakers beat Spurs 4-2 in Conf. Semifinals; lose to Pistons in finals
    2008: Lakers beat Spurs 4-1 in Conf. Finals; lose to Celtics in finals
    2013: ??

What a matchup. The Spurs have knocked off two younger more fast paced teams heading into these conference finals, while the Lakers have defeated two teams that have given them troubles in the past. This match-up is just so good. Parker vs. Nash, Ginobili vs. Bryant, Duncan vs. Gasol, Monroe vs. Howard, Gregg Popovich vs. Phi-...hmm. Regardless, this series is going to be good and I truly hope for 7 games. To me the Lakers performance against the Thunder was a scale tipper. I actually like the Lakers in 5 or 6 but this is too good not to be 7 games somehow. The reason I say 5 or 6 is the fact that Parker is the only guy I'm sold on for the Spurs right now. I'm not entirely doubting Monroe, Duncan, Gino, etc necessarily, however I am doubting their consistent ability to win 4 games against this Lakers team.

Prediction: Lakers win 4-3

West:
    Miami Heat vs. Chicago Bulls

As I looked at the playoff bracket at the start of this years playoffs, I couldn't really reason a way the Heat don't at least make the finals. That thought hasn't changed. The Bulls generate lots of problems for the Bulls but...LeBron, Dwyane, Chris. For the Bulls to win Derrick Rose needs to seriously go off and/or the Bulls defense needs to suffocate the Heat...or maybe the Bulls need to suffocate that big three...hmmm..

Prediction: Heat win 4-2

By the way, there is no way that Lebron and Kobe being in the same finals ends well.

Important to note Pau Gasol will be out for another 1-2 weeks with a Seperated Shoulder he suffered in game four of the Lakers/Thunder series.

Lakers opt to have World Peace/Clark rather than Clark/Jamison or World Peace/Jamison starting.

Cory Joseph is replacing Maurice Evans in the Spurs active 12 lineup for game 1.

Green still starting over Ginobili.

Spurs Three Stars:
    Tony Parker - 24 pts, 4 reb, 8ast, 1to, 9-11fg in 23 mins
    Manu Ginobili - 22 pts, 2 reb, 1stl, 8-12fg in 17 mins
    Tim Duncan - 21pts, 11reb, 1stl, 8-12fg in 22 mins

Lakers Three Stars:
    Kobe Bryant - 37pts, 5reb, 3ast, 1stl, 1blk, 16-32fg, 4-7 3pt in 29 mins
    Dwight Howard - 22pts, 7 reb, 10-18fg in 28 minutes
    Steve Nash - 9pts, 6reb, 11ast, 2stl, 3to, 3-9fg in 28 mins

POTG: Tony Parker

Recap:
    The Los Angeles Lakers went on a 13-4 run in a short 1:40 stretch in the fourth quarter, but it wasn't enough to overcome the San Antonio Spurs. The Spurs won 101-94 and took a 1-0 series lead in the Western Conference Finals.

They're called "The Big Three" for a reason, and tonight they proved why. Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Manu Ginobili combined for 67 points, 17 rebounds, 9 assists on 71% shooting from the field.

"It's our time, it's the conference finals. There's some history and controversy between us but in the end it comes down to the game of basketball, tonight we won that game," Tim Duncan said in his post game interview.

Things haven't changed much for L.A. Kobe Bryant scored 37 points on 16-32 FG and got 5 rebounds and 3 assists as well.

"You can look at the stats or whatever and say I had a good game but then you can look at the score at the final buzzer and realize you're wrong. It's all about the win and it's tough not to get it. It's a long series and only the beginning, I'm still confident in our ability to take it," Kobe said post-game.

The Spurs depth helped immensely. With Ginobili coming off the bench he helped lead their bench to outscore the Lakers 44-17.

Los Angeles only turned the ball over 3 times compared to the Spurs 12. This turnover issue has been problematic for the Spurs many times this season and they should feel good they were still able to win despite the difference.

Game 2 will be May 17 in San Antonio.

Troy Murphy replaces DeJuan Blair in the Spurs Active 12.

Spurs Three Stars:
    Tony Parker - 23 pts, 10ast, 1stl, 10-14fg, 3-5 3pt in 22mins
    Manu Ginobili - 21pts, 4ast, 7-10fg, 2-4 3pt in 17 mins
    Kawhi Leonard - 14pts, 5ast, 3stl, 6-7fg in 21mins

Lakers Three Stars:
    Kobe Bryant - 26pts, 3reb, 2ast, 1stl, 2to, 12-18fg in 22mins
    Dwight Howard - 16pts, 4reb, 1blk, 8-11 fg in 20 mins
    Steve Nash - 10pts, 7ast, 1stl, 1to, 4-6fg in 18mins

POTG - Tony Parker

Recap:
    It was a good old fashioned blow out, and not the caliber of game you'd expect in game 2 of the Western Conference Finals. The San Antonio Spurs made it look easy against the team that just a short while ago was up 3-0 against the Oklahoma City Thunder. The Spurs beat the Lakers 115-87 as the series heads into Los Angeles.

Once again it was Tony Parker leading the Spurs charge. He had a balanced game of 23 points and 10 assists on 10-14 from the field (3-5 3pt).

"We don't expect the game to go this way headed to L.A, but we'll take this. Our execution on both sides of the floor was great and Popovich is really happy with the end result," Parker said post-game.

Kobe Bryant had 26 points (12-18fg) and 3 rebounds in just 22 minutes of play, opting to miss most of the fourth quarter along with the rest of the Lakers starters. Dwight Howard scored 16 on 8-11fg.

The Lakers had very few bright spots on the stat sheet. They had more second chance points, offensive rebounds, and steals. That's all.

Los Angeles will look to bounce back at home and push this game into the past.

Banned

Kobe not playing the entire game. Dwight with 18 FGAs.

Very unrealistic.

Haven't felt like playing this association for a little bit, but think I should do game 3 tonight. About to start playing it.

Sorry for the hold-up. Gotta get this closed up soon.

Nando De Colo and DeJuan Blair replace Troy Murphy and Cory Joseph in the Spurs active 12 for game 3.

BREAKING NEWS:

Los Angeles Lakers training staff announces that Kobe Bryant is suffering from a Twisted Ankle he suffered in game 2 of the Western Conference Finals against the San Antonio Spurs. He is listed as day-to-day and still expected to play in game 3 in Los Angeles. However, he will not be starting.

Most speculated something had to be up, as Bryant missed almost all of the fourth quarter in game 2.

Pau Gasol is still suffering from a Separated Shoulder and will not be active in game 3. His timetable is still listed as 1-2 weeks.

Spurs Three Stars:
    Tony Parker - 21pts, 4reb, 6ast, 1stl, 5to, 9-15fg, 3-4 3pt in 25mins
    Danny Green - 14pts, 2reb, 1ast, 1blk, 1to, 4-8fg, 1-2 3pt in 20mins
    Manu Ginobili - 12pts, 2reb, 3ast, 4-7fg, 2-3 3pt in 15mins

Lakers Three Stars:
    Dwight Howard - 28pts, 7reb, 1ast, 1stl, 12-20fg, 4-7ft in 23mins
    Steve Nash - 11pts, 1reb, 3ast, 2stl, 2to, 3-11fg, 4-4ft in 27mins
    Jodie Meeks - 8pts, 2ast, 1stl, 1to, 2-15fg, 2-9 3pt in 26mins

POTG: Tony Parker

Recap:
    No Kobe Bryant...no problem! Well, for the San Antonio Spurs at least. The Spurs beat the Lakers 96-70 in the Staples Center to take a commanding 3-0 lead.

Kobe did play, however only in 8 minutes (getting 5 points and a rebound on 2-5 shooting).

"I didn't feel comfortable giving him significant minutes in the condition he was in, nor did the training staff, nor did any of the other coaching staff. When we'd put him out he'd have to come back shortly after and get iced and the trainer would have to work with him, it didn't get better as the game wore on." Coach Mike Brown (lol I know, he still coaches them) said post-game.

Jodie Meeks attempted to replace him, playing in 26 minutes and having 15 shot attempts (9 from three). Of those 15 shots he only converted on 2 (both of them threes) and he ended the night with 8 points and 2 assists.

Tony Parker was the Spurs front man, scoring 21 points and adding 4 rebounds and 6 assists on 9-15 shooting.

"This win was huge for us. I don't doubt our ability to take one game out of a potential four more." Parker said.

Dwight Howard led the Lakers with a game-high 28 points (12-20 field) and 7 rebounds.

"It wasn't all there tonight," Howard spoke.

The Lakers will look to improve their atrocious 38% shooting from the field and hope Kobe will be back 100% in game 4 (however that looks very unlikely at the moment) to avoid the Spurs bringing out the brooms for the second time this post-season.

Spurs Three Stars:
    Kawhi Leonard - 22pts, 3reb, 9-15fg, 0-2 3pt in 23mins
    Danny Green - 18pts, 1reb, 2ast, 2to, 7-10fg, 3-6 3pt in 21mins
    Eric Bledsoe - 6pts, 2reb, 7ast, 3to, 2-4fg, 1-3 3pt in 23mins

Lakers Three Stars:
    Dwight Howard - 27pts, 7reb, 1ast, 3stl, 11-15fg, 5-10ft in 27 mins
    Kobe Bryant - 12pts, 1reb, 2ast, 5-5fg, 2-2ft in 8mins
    Steve Nash - 12pts, 8reb, 6ast, 5to, 5-12fg, 0-1 3pt in 28mins

POTG: Kawhi Leonard

SA: 24 | 15 | 23 | 25 | 87
    LAL: 15 | 22| 21 | 25 | 81

Recap:

The San Antonio Spurs are the first team to advance to the 2013 NBA Finals following a 87-81 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers. The Spurs swept the Lakers 4-0, despite missing Tony Parker in the final game.

Kobe Bryant still only saw limited play, however his performance was much better. He scored 12 points on 5-5 shooting from the field. Some arguing was seen on the sidelines between him and Mike Brown throughout the game.

In the absence of Parker, Kawhi Leonard stood tall for the Spurs. He scored 22 points and got 3 rebounds to lead his team in scoring.

"I felt like I gave everything I could on both sides of the floor and coming out of it with a win I truly believe that," Leonard said.

The San Antonio Spurs await the winner of the Miami Heat - Chicago Bulls series, which is currently tied 2-2.