Default Looking to Buy New Basketball - Tips?

So I'm looking at buying a new ball, I had an Adidas basketball that recently got lost... and I really liked it (perfect weight, nice grip and cool colour). It was this one specifically:

So I'm in the market for a new one and will mostly be playing indoors, or pretty much only indoors. I looked at a Reebok ball and the grip on it was insane (Reebok VR-4000)

It basically has a 'sticky' feel to it and I can palm it with ease (its a composite leather).

1) How would this ball measure up with use indoors? Is it going to rip apart?
    2) Will it keep its grippy feel months down the line? I'm going to be playing with it abour 2-4 hours per week.
    3) Would water or dirt affect the sticky grip of it?

I'm going to be checking out a Nike store and apparently they have some Michael Jordan balls. Hopefully those are worthwhile getting. Price isn't an issue although to be honest I don't like the more expensive balls, they are much more slippery than the Reebok I tried.

The next best ball I looked at was the Under Armour 495, similar to the Reebok but less grippy. Link: http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...734940.3757977

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by kamil; 05-31-2013 at 12:27 AM.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Default Re: Looking to Buy New Basketball - Tips?

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Evoluti.../dp/B0009LM9B8

A lot of leagues use this one. I own one and it is awesome. Highly recommend. It's an indoor ball only.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness

A lot of leagues use this one. I own one and it is awesome. Highly recommend. It's an indoor ball only.
    Thanks! Will have to keep an eye out for this one. I went with the Reebok ball, it was only $30 but felt much, MUCH nicer than all the other balls I tried. Unfortunately I didn't come across the Wilson Evolution.

I did get to check out the Jordan Champion ball, but like most other Nike balls, it felt slippery even when deflated! Couldn't get a good grip on it. Fantastic design on it though.

I think for the money, the Reebok is probably the best bang for the buck.

Do high schools still use the WAVE ball lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    Do high schools still use the WAVE ball lol.
    Yeah.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness

Yep. I'm a big fan of the Evolution. I also like Spalding TF-1000's for indoor use.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    It basically has a 'sticky' feel to it and I can palm it with ease (its a composite leather).

1) How would this ball measure up with use indoors? Is it going to rip apart?
    2) Will it keep its grippy feel months down the line? I'm going to be playing with it abour 2-4 hours per week.
    3) Would water or dirt affect the sticky grip of it?
    In my experience, many new basketballs tend to have a tacky coating that makes them extremely grippy at the get-go. However, after repeated use, they lose a bit of that starting grip and develop a groove of "not too slick but not as grippy as it was in the store".
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-10-2013 at 09:50 AM.

The evolution is the only way to go IMO man... There might be a better ball out there somewhere, but an evolution never disappoints. I have had it for 4 years and it's still grippy. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

And like Rake said TF-1000 is good too. It's the only other ball I will agree to play with lol... I have walked into gyms not knowing anybody basically forcing them to use the evolution. Sometimes they get kind of angry but the evolution is a real ego checker. Most people get it in their hands and they are like oooohhh lol
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 06-17-2013 at 01:01 AM.

I just bought this ball today.

Serious playground baller

I like this one

The evolution is okay but to me it feels kind of hard or something. The NCAA ball has a much better feel IMO
    Last edited by 01amberfirewv; 08-19-2013 at 06:55 PM.