Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Is it me or does espn suck now

I usually just watch ESPN during NFL season and NBA playoffs. I usually watch Around the Horn and PTI. First Take sucks now.

NBA Superstar

I had an opportunity to watch Around the Horn today for the first time in many years. Question, is Woody Paige okay? I almost did not recognize him him due to weight gain.

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Espn sucks especially since they act like Lebron is tha best player since Jordan

I usually watch Mike and Mike in the mornings, but I don't enjoy it as much anymore. The banter feels really fake, and the whole Greenie=metrosexual/Golic=tough guy thing is getting old.

If I'm off work or something, I'll tune in to the Herd or First Take and watch a few minutes, but I have no expectations and just try to find amusement in the arguing that takes place.

I haven't watched too much Sportscenter lately, though it does seem as if every former NFL/NBA player gets a job as an "analyst." Each Laker/Heat game merits a roundtable discussion on a nightly basis.

Overall, I sometimes feel as if sports isn't meant to be covered 24/7. Sometimes, it's too much. Also, I'm sick and tired of debate shows.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    Overall, I sometimes feel as if sports isn't meant to be covered 24/7. Sometimes, it's too much. Also, I'm sick and tired of debate shows.
    With ESPN's current format, I feel you. If a network came around devoted to the idea of sport though? As in, all sports? I think there'd be more than enough content.

However, as we know, that doesn't seem likely, ever. I think ESPN was more of a true sports network in the 90's and prior than they are now. Yes, they showed tractor pull events, Australian rules football, and Billiards, but those were still (mostly) sports and even though I'm not always a fan of those corners of athletics, it created a better sense of ESPN being a sports hub than what we see today.

Basically, I think it used to be a network that'd show a little bit of many different sports. Now we're fed a ton on a very little amount of parts of sports. The mission statement has clearly changed. At one point, there seemed to be a little more emphasis on the essence of sports and when that's the case, there's a lot more worthwhile programming that comes along with it.

National High School Star therammingman's Avatar

it is garbage.

I haven't watched in prpb 5-6 years unless there is an NBA game on.

Local High School Star

Terrible programming , just turned it on, nothing but heat segments lined up, and one kobe segment.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I had an opportunity to watch Around the Horn today for the first time in many years. Question, is Woody Paige okay? I almost did not recognize him him due to weight gain.
    I would think weight loss would be a concern, not weight gain

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan76

I would think weight loss would be a concern, not weight gain
    Well it could go either way. Weight loss is often a sign of disease. But weight gain can just as well be a sign of something like hypothyroidism or a result of kidney or liver dysfunction. He just looked terrible, though since asking that question I looked up his age and discovered he's 66, so I suppose that'll play a role too.