Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    I really don't understand the logic what so ever. So you think, "Oh he played in an era other than the current one, he must be better than everyone playing today."? There's no logic behind that at all. If you think players have gotten worse over time then you're sadly mistaken. That's completely backwards thinking. More of the aspects that make a player develop into what they become get BETTER over time and players learn BETTER ways to get better.

LET ME HIGHLIGHT THIS PART BEFORE SOMEONE SH1TS A COW. IM NOT SAYING ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ARE BETTER THAN OLDER PLAYERS OR OLDER PLAYERS ARE SCRUBS. IM SIMPLY SAYING YOUR NOSTALGIA AND HOMERISM OF ERAS MAKES NO SENSE.
    Because most logical people take training into account. If Lebron played back in the days he would still have the mindset that he has but his skillset and style of play would look similar to that era.

If bill Russell played today it would be similar to Dwight. If Oscar played today, his game would look similar to the nets Jason Kidd with a better scoring ability etc...

Cuba

Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Yes, I understand that the NBA never learned how to round a decimal. They think that 6-10.25 = "6-11". And that Dwight grew an inch according to the NY post to the "full 7 feet".

Or

Dwight lied about his list height, and a poorly written obscure NY article states (based on nothing whatsoever) that Dwight grew an inch from his 6-11 height (which the editor thinks was his real height, despite it not being his real height) to "7 feet tall". Dwight is in fact, shorter than a 70+ year old Bill Russell. Who is by now, probably barely over 6-9 himself - seeing as how when he was in his prime he was no more than 6-9 and 5/8ths. Keep drowning son.
    Yeah, you definitely have a learning disability, mixed in with some tinfoil hat conspiracy theory stuff.

You won't address the obvious, which is he's taller than Bosh in sneakers, because that just destroys the point you're trying to make. You argue like a woman, talking about "winning" and being completely dishonest in doing so, posting pictures of Russell in the foreground with Dwight in the background, ignoring facts and just trying to "win" on some real bitch shit. If you're not even going to be objective I won't bother responding anymore.

I love how the depth of people analysis is "Oh, this is a weak era for centers".

Lol. You think it's just a coincidence that under 1 set of rules, centers dominated the league THEN as soon as the rules change, the are no dominant centers anymore? Just a coincidence? Really?

If past centers played today with the current rules, they'd mostly be worse than they were in their own eras, not better.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I love how the depth of people analysis is "Oh, this is a weak era for centers".

Lol. You think it's just a coincidence that under 1 set of rules, centers dominated the league THEN as soon as the rules change, the are no dominant centers anymore? Just a coincidence? Really?

If past centers played today with the current rules, they'd mostly be worse than they were in their own eras, not better.
    I thought it was, but I don't think that's entirely the case.

The centers really started to go down hill around 1999ish. Shaq was the only dominate guy. He stayed like that for years and nobody came close to his level in the center position. All of the centers he competed against in the 90s, got old or suffered from injuries and retired shortly, and they couldn't compete with Shaq by time 2000. No other great center picked up the torch after Hakeem, David Robinson, and Ewing except for Shaq and Mourning, but Mourning was never the same again after 2000 too. Unless you count Duncan as a center. Who was the second and third best center in the early 00s where Shaq dominated? Then then compare that to the 90s.

Would those centers, and the centers in the 80s, dominate this era? I'm not hesitant to say yes, because who is really their competition besides D.Howard and Bynum? Would they average the same numbers is a different story. Depends on the situation I think. But no doubt they are more polish and have more offensive capability.

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix

Centers used to go to college and develop over the course of years -

Wilt - 4 years (2 years varsity)
    Kareem - 4 years
    Walton - 4 years
    Hakeem - 3 years
    Robinson - 4 years
    Ewing - 4 years
    Robinson - 4 years
    Shaq - 2 years
    Rik Smits - 4 years
    Brad Daughtery - 4 years
    Alonzo Mourning - 4 years

Compare that to guys in the league now, the guys with the most polished post games are almost all foreigners today, with a few exceptions. Yeah Bynum has a nice post game, but he also had a tutor spend time with him and help him develop.

It's not the rules, we're only 5 years removed from Yao averaging 25 a game.
    Last edited by abuC; 08-29-2012 at 12:23 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

I really don't understand the logic what so ever. So you think, "Oh he played in an era other than the current one, he must be better than everyone playing today."? There's no logic behind that at all. If you think players have gotten worse over time then you're sadly mistaken. That's completely backwards thinking. More of the aspects that make a player develop into what they become get BETTER over time and players learn BETTER ways to get better.

LET ME HIGHLIGHT THIS PART BEFORE SOMEONE SH1TS A COW. IM NOT SAYING ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ARE BETTER THAN OLDER PLAYERS OR OLDER PLAYERS ARE SCRUBS. IM SIMPLY SAYING YOUR NOSTALGIA AND HOMERISM OF ERAS MAKES NO SENSE.

I think where you're going wrong with this is the same way Niquesports tends to bash on the youngins for not recognizing the past, you seem very narrow minded to the fact that the older generation is qualified to make those arguments. As fast as Niquesports discredits the younger POV you get your peacock feathers up when the oldies reminice about the past and validate it's greatness.

To state there is no logic behind older players having the abilty to be greater in todays era is a very ignorant statement. As much as you may be right, you will NEVER know, and that's where debate is healthy. The different eras are relevant to being on a level playing field. Sports in any genre is about the science of improving. They had the resources they had then, the resources are much better now. You're relevant to who your competition is. Does that not sound logical to you?

Put it this way, Alexander Graham Bell never invented an iphone. Does that make Steve Jobs smarter than him? No, but we also can't say that maybe Jobs could have invented the phone in Graham Bells day. That may not be a solid foundation to compare with but it is somewhat the point.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by INDI
    Because most logical people take training into account. If Lebron played back in the days he would still have the mindset that he has but his skillset and style of play would look similar to that era.

If bill Russell played today it would be similar to Dwight. If Oscar played today, his game would look similar to the nets Jason Kidd with a better scoring ability etc...
    Yes. I agree. You are using good predictive logic here.

And if you go further, using some more good predictive logic, you will realize that since today's population is larger than it was in 1970 and a higher percentage of people are playing basketball, today's talent pool is a lot larger than it was in the past, which makes today's players proportionally better.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

What youre saying is partially true but Certain eras are indeed weak eras or have rules/lacked rules that might have benefitted or negatively effected specific players.

For example Allen Iverson benefitted from the hand check rules which limited a physically stronger perimeter defender from imposing his strength on a guy like AI.

Another example was Wilt playing in an era of 6"7 centers. You can also look at a guy like Bynum and realize he wouldnt be as highly valued in the 90s as he is today; guys like Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq etc would make him look very average in comparison.

So certain players yes they may fit better/ worse depending on the era, but that doesnt mean that player is a scrub

How about instead of a lecture you answer my question thanks.
    Because your question is absurd and lacks a premise.

People don't always think if an older player etc.

They just don't. You're wrong. There's nothing to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    What youre saying is partially true but Certain eras are indeed weak eras or have rules/lacked rules that might have benefitted or negatively effected specific players.

For example Allen Iverson benefitted from the hand check rules which limited a physically stronger perimeter defender from imposing his strength on a guy like AI.

Another example was Wilt playing in an era of 6"7 centers. You can also look at a guy like Bynum and realize he wouldnt be as highly valued in the 90s as he is today; guys like Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq etc would make him look very average in comparison.

So certain players yes they may fit better/ worse depending on the era, but that doesnt mean that player is a scrub
    No he didnt. He killed players prior to the rule being enforced. What are you talkin about? Do your homework.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    My bad - the NY daily news says Dwight went from 6-9 to 7 feet tall now

Not to disagree about growing 3", but using that pic as "evidence" that he's shorter than Russell is misguiding. Russell is about half a foot closer to the camera and the shot is a close up. You could make Chris Bosh look just as big as Andrew Bynum with similar camera angle.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Because your question is absurd and lacks a premise.

People don't always think if an older player etc.

They just don't. You're wrong. There's nothing to answer.
    Actually their is something to answer seeing as this thread had 4 pages and i've gotten multiple answers already. What forum are you on? This forum overrates past players more than anywhere i've ever seen. I guess you really wouldn't notice since your main concern is not to contribute but to post smart a$$ comments to try to up yourself and gain rep. There's always that one guy on every forum who thinks he's a fu.cking genius but never contributes and posts cocky smart a$$ comments everywhere. That would be you here.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Yes. I agree. You are using good predictive logic here.

And if you go further, using some more good predictive logic, you will realize that since today's population is larger than it was in 1970 and a higher percentage of people are playing basketball, today's talent pool is a lot larger than it was in the past, which makes today's players proportionally better.
    but were not going by talent pool, we are going by who actually played. Just to further my point that you have to adjust players games to the time period etc....

How many of you believe that if bob cousy played in this day and era that he would still do all that one handed dribbling??? EXACTLY, cousy would have had a different set of teachers but his bball dna would still be what is was always destined to be. So if you put cousy in todays game, he would probably play and dribble like nash (best example I could think of). Wilt would have a Javele Mcgee kind of athleticism with a superior scorer's touch (hopefully you get it by now).

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    No he didnt. He killed players prior to the rule being enforced. What are you talkin about? Do your homework.

I saw that comment too

AI came entered the league in 96... The rules helped him get to the line EVEN MORE by the time they were instituted, but AI tore up defenses prior to the handchecking rule changes

Actually their is something to answer seeing as this thread had 4 pages and i've gotten multiple answers already. What forum are you on? This forum overrates past players more than anywhere i've ever seen. I guess you really wouldn't notice since your main concern is not to contribute but to post smart a$$ comments to try to up yourself and gain rep. There's always that one guy on every forum who thinks he's a fu.cking genius but never contributes and posts cocky smart a$$ comments everywhere. That would be you here.
    Yes, and the majority of those posts point out what I did: that you're consumed with this conspiracy theory. There's a poster or two that you have a beef with, and you've made them "everybody" and "always" by applying a really childish lack of logic.

There are a good, solid group of posters here who are knowledgable about the game prior to 1990. I've not seen any of them, on any kind of regular basis, say that players from former eras would be better today, aside from the ovious advantages they'd have in conditioning, coaching and nutrition. Rather, they tend to argue against a myopic, limited side that randomly assumes that all those players would be far worse. That's the side making generalizations backed up by nothing; the side you're advocating.