Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Our bench

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Default Re: Our bench

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]I made the same argument 2 years ago when people wanted a big 3. You can not just throw "guys from accountant" (AWESOME PHRASE) or "bodies that are warm" and think you can win. Its pressing to have talent and/or high basketball IQ guys.

This is the disadvantage of trying to build through Free Agency as opposed to drafting. The Knicks sold picks and gave away the world to buy a core. Buying this core (That didnt take discounts!) leaves no room to fill out the roster. The Knicks has to step up their draft game. I have no problem with Shumpert (as a SG) and Harrellson (as a hustle PF).

I think honestly the Knicks probably tried to get some guys of decent quality but having no cap space and no minutes available for most players makes it a very unattractive destination.

If you look at the teams with playoff aspirations I think only the Lakers have a worse bench.

The reality is this team will have a 2 year window with this core to get it done. If I am not mistaken Melo and Stat have player options coming up soon...

I hope this team gets close to the ECF for it to be successful.[/COLOR]
    Sorry...I stopped reading after warm bodies

I think the misconception is that you have to have a bunch of money to get talented guys. There are talented guys out there for cheap. Problem is, GM's have become lazy. Instead of surrounding superstars with young talent. They get these guys who the NBA "analysts" call "serviceable" for their "veteran leadership" instead of using sound talent evaluation and scouting to formulate a solid team. How much scouting could have gone into acquiring Mike Bibby? How much research did you do when it came to Jared Jeffries? NONE. I think the NBA needs an infusion of young GM's. Youth worked in regards to coaches. Guys like Alexis Ajinca's talents will rot in the abyss while people like Brian Cardinal will always have a job. It's a damn shame. I'm so tired of all these "locker room" guys. End of the day, one or two is fine, but I don't need 5 or 6 guys who can't play to have jobs for their "leadership". I'll take an undeveloped young guy with potential over a veteran who's sucked for the last 3+ years any day of the week.

P.S. SIGN AL THORNTON!!!!!! (My mom used to tell me to talk things into fruition lol)

Straight Hardcore percelloveknicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    I think the misconception is that you have to have a bunch of money to get talented guys. There are talented guys out there for cheap. Problem is, GM's have become lazy. Instead of surrounding superstars with young talent. They get these guys who the NBA "analysts" call "serviceable" for their "veteran leadership" instead of using sound talent evaluation and scouting to formulate a solid team. How much scouting could have gone into acquiring Mike Bibby? How much research did you do when it came to Jared Jeffries? NONE. I think the NBA needs an infusion of young GM's. Youth worked in regards to coaches. Guys like Alexis Ajinca's talents will rot in the abyss while people like Brian Cardinal will always have a job. It's a damn shame. I'm so tired of all these "locker room" guys. End of the day, one or two is fine, but I don't need 5 or 6 guys who can't play to have jobs for their "leadership". I'll take an undeveloped young guy with potential over a veteran who's sucked for the last 3+ years any day of the week.

P.S. SIGN AL THORNTON!!!!!! (My mom used to tell me to talk things into fruition lol)
    yeah i can give you a perfect example malik rose, remember his bum ass, and charles garbage smith, and chris duhon, and sorry knickcity, jared assaroni jeffries all bums languishing on the roster, eating up cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by percelloveknicks
    yeah i can give you a perfect example malik rose, remember his bum ass, and charles garbage smith, and chris duhon, and sorry knickcity, jared assaroni jeffries all bums languishing on the roster, eating up cap space.

lmao @ assaroni

Allow me to add to the list
    Howard Eisley, Shannon Anderson, Charlie Ward

lmao @ assaroni

Allow me to add to the list
    Howard Eisley, Shannon Anderson, Charlie Ward
    and the last years of allan houston, remember when kirk hinrick blocked his jumper? And houston couldnt even chase kirk down and he made that easy ass layup. Boy those days they did spreewell dirty in favor of houston. I miss the days of anthony mason and xavier mcdaniels, i know im getting off the subject but teams use to FEAR US!!!!!!

and the last years of allan houston, remember when kirk hinrick blocked his jumper? And houston couldnt even chase kirk down and he made that easy ass layup. Boy those days they did spreewell dirty in favor of houston. I miss the days of anthony mason and xavier mcdaniels, i know im getting off the subject but teams use to FEAR US!!!!!!
    Mason was so much better than Oakley it wasn't even funny. Somehow however Oakley was cemented on our roster and Mase had to come off the bench...even though he did everything Oak could do and played PG for us in some key games.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

How is a vets min contract eating cap space?

Yes, I like Jeffries as a basketball player.

He defends, will give you a stop or two, and gets a few boards in limited action.

And he pretty much does it every single time he is on the court.

12-15 minutes max and it doesn't even have to be every game.

For the vets min, give me that guy every single year.

I'm about to make a Jared Jeffries sticky again.

Vet min contracts eat up space because they could be league minimum contracts. Jeffries isnt worth the league minimum. You say he's good for a stop or two a game. I agree. Problem is,he's in the game for way more than one or two possessions. That means he's stinking it up! The nonsense about him being able to "defend all 5 positions" NOT TRUE. Don't even know where it came from. Him being a rebounder NOT TRUE. He's pudding soft. He is completely inept on offense. He can't hit a free throw if his mother's life depended on it. He doesn't block shots. So basically you're telling me he's getting 1 mil + to draw 2 charges a game? I havent played basketball in almost 3 years. I'm 30 lbs heavier than my playing weight. I was an undersized pg. That being said, I GUARANTEE I can draw 2 charges in a basketball game. Where's my million?

I do recall last year suggesting we trade for Ishe Smith. That's yet another guy who'd be cheap.He's killing our starting pg right now.

Im starting a trade fields movement, he does'nt know when to shoot, he cant work thru the pick ie: ray allan, and last nite, did you see amare scream on him, man he had all offseason to see a shrink and re work his game. Let me say it, i was holding my tongue cuz i didnt want you guys getting on me but f that, I HATE FIELDS!!!!! He is soft as newborn baby green doodo!!!!!

Im starting a trade fields movement, he does'nt know when to shoot, he cant work thru the pick ie: ray allan, and last nite, did you see amare scream on him, man he had all offseason to see a shrink and re work his game. Let me say it, i was holding my tongue cuz i didnt want you guys getting on me but f that, I HATE FIELDS!!!!! He is soft as newborn baby green doodo!!!!!
    You know what's the most disappointing part of it ? That Fields was maybe our best player tonight. Who was playing better than him ?
    Melo and Amare couldn't hit anything.Douglas was trash,Bibby also.Chandler had 2 points and 3 rebounds.

Fields made some stupid decisions but everyone did.
    It's between him and Walker for the player of the game. And that shows how poorly we played last night.

we play really hard on defense the first 2 quarters of both games, that the guys come out tired in the third and really stunk it up in the 4th. only reason we won against the celtics was cus melo had a whole period to rest. in the 4th, asides from melo, everyone was crap. our guys are not used to playing alot of defense.

against the warriors, our defense was great the first 2 periods but that took alot away from the offense and then the def/off started deteriorating in the 3rd and 4th.

we need a real coach. mdantoni could care less of anything, he just smiles all game, no motivation

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    we play really hard on defense the first 2 quarters of both games, that the guys come out tired in the third and really stunk it up in the 4th. only reason we won against the celtics was cus melo had a whole period to rest. in the 4th, asides from melo, everyone was crap. our guys are not used to playing alot of defense.

against the warriors, our defense was great the first 2 periods but that took alot away from the offense and then the def/off started deteriorating in the 3rd and 4th.

we need a real coach. mdantoni could care less of anything, he just smiles all game, no motivation
    You're so wrong.

He's among the best coaches when it comes to motivating the players. His speeches are convincing and give players the energy to keep trying.

Here's a proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhulZeZUh0

Last night just further proved my point. GSW are full of young,talented guys who aren't being paid that much money. They all play like it could be their last game and they have something to prove. We send out some old,veteran bums who have nothing to prove and have made more than enough money in their career. Theyre just hoping to latch on to a contender and have no shot of contributing anything of value. Their bench destroyed us last night. We have ZERO depth. We just showed that if Melo and Amare go cold, which is completely possible, we're going to lose 90% of the time.

Krust Kingz

Last night just further proved my point. GSW are full of young,talented guys who aren't being paid that much money. They all play like it could be their last game and they have something to prove. We send out some old,veteran bums who have nothing to prove and have made more than enough money in their career. Theyre just hoping to latch on to a contender and have no shot of contributing anything of value. Their bench destroyed us last night. We have ZERO depth. We just showed that if Melo and Amare go cold, which is completely possible, we're going to lose 90% of the time.
    [COLOR="Navy"]This is what everyone wanted though. A big 3 and just find guys that could just play roles. I've always said thats BS. You cant do that.
    When you buy a complete core this is the distinct disadvantage. The handwriting was on the wall that no one wanted to play here before and after acquiring these assets. Its going to be hard to find people that would want to play with 2 guys that has to have the ball in their hands and score without making the other players better.[/COLOR]