Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: Kobe's 81-point game is SEVERELY underrated

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    46 shots lol
    Wilt took 63 shots and 32 fta for his 100 point game lol. So shut up ho

I rule the local playground

you might be able to see lebron pull a game like that off absolutely.....

if in the near future he decides to not give a crap and just shoot without his teammates, then he has the scoring ability to do it, though not as diverse as kobe or maybe as efficient....i can't blame kobe tho, i would have done the same if i was getting frustrated with how the higher ups were running my team...

KD is already shaping up to be a better offensive machine than both of them though.

46 shots lol

Wilt Chamberlain took 63 shots ( 57% shooting) for 100 points and he was in the paint most of the time.

Kobe Bryant took 46 shots (60.8 % shooting) for 81 points and many were contested long shots.

Not a Kobe lover, but its hard to hate this performance.

Damn, wish I caught it on NBAtv earlier today

You guys remember that game Dallas was beating Lakers by like 20+ points (maybe like 30 points) at halftime and came back and won it? Maybe like 4-5 years ago? I just remember Mark Cuban at halftime saying how great it felt during a halftime interview.

n/m, found it: Bryant scores 21 of game-high 27 points in fourth

Kobe Bryant 2002-03 • 27 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists vs. Dallas Mavericks

Boy was that a fun game to watch.
    Last edited by NoGunzJustSkillz; 08-23-2012 at 06:44 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alleykat
    you might be able to see lebron pull a game like that off absolutely.....

if in the near future he decides to not give a crap and just shoot without his teammates, then he has the scoring ability to do it, though not as diverse as kobe or maybe as efficient....i can't blame kobe tho, i would have done the same if i was getting frustrated with how the higher ups were running my team...

KD is already shaping up to be a better offensive machine than both of them though.
    and if either kd or lebron did that, id be impressed. Even if was against the bobcats. As a fan of basketball, how could one not love a game like that? Just shows people are more obsessed with players, or their own teams than the actual sport.

Why do people keep bringing up his 46 FGA as a knock? Regardless of whether or not you think he played selfishly, how many shots do you expect someone to take in an 81 point game? 81 points on 46 FGA is extremely efficient.

46 shots lol

really?

that's the level we stoop to now?

players scorin 81 points and we have people hating on it because of 46 shots?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    really?

that's the level we stoop to now?

players scorin 81 points and we have people hating on it because of 46 shots?
    He probably wants something like 25 shots and 40+ fta. definitely would be a fun game to watch......

Lakers, 2010 NBA Champs btches! Fcking AAAAA. Forgot how exciting that 4th quarter was.

Local High School Star

2 things make it a bit overrated.

1) His teammates were force feeding him the ball with the game out of reach. And kobe was still trying to score to add to his point total when the game was clearly over. He got about extra points trying to set the record when it wasn't really necessary.

2) He didn't see any aggressive double teams pretty much the whole game. The raptors defense was beyond horrible. You would think at some point they would aggressively double every time he touched the ball. That didn't happen.

Other than that, it was a great performance and he was on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    I wouldnt say its underrated. Most people applaud the great play of kobe that game. It's just that in this forum, people choose to disregard the impressiveness of this performance for their own personnel reasons. spurting nonsense like "it was only against the raptors" or "if blah blah blah took 35+ shots, theyd score 81 points too" totally disregarding the fact of how hard it is to get off your own shot off in the nba, let alone making over 50% of them to score 81. claims like that should just be ignored, because regardless of the opposing team or shots taken, an 81 point performance is absolutely amazing. Its really a head scratcher that some people actually deny the impressiveness of said game.
    It also gets brought up all the time. It's possible that no matter how great the game is, people just get bored talking about it and seeing it mentioned every other day despite the fact that it happened over half a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Replay32
    2 things make it a bit overrated.

1) His teammates were force feeding him the ball with the game out of reach. And kobe was still trying to score to add to his point total when the game was clearly over. He got about extra points trying to set the record when it wasn't really necessary.

2) He didn't see any aggressive double teams pretty much the whole game. The raptors defense was beyond horrible. You would think at some point they would aggressively double every time he touched the ball. That didn't happen.

Other than that, it was a great performance and he was on fire.

I think Jalen Rose had a part in this...looking back.

- It seemed after the 2000 Finals , Kobe and Jalen forged a competitive dislike for each other (basketball court only)...jalen in the Finals was a beast/veteran...and seemed to push Kobe to almost the brink of a physical confrontation a few times.

- Watching the game it seemed like Rose/ peterson were like " we aint gonna show Kobe no double teams...we will shut him down"...and I can totally se Rose going Machismo trying to shut down Kobe one on one....and thus Rose easily selling Sam Mitchell on this idea.

- Lakers were down big to Toronto...it seemed like Kobe was gonna score but Toronto was going to still be ahead....Rose could easily say " you scored some points but we won"....

- Then Kobe went to another level and Rose's /teams ego just took over and they never decided to take the ball away from Kobe....they wanted to prove a point...and it cost them dearly

Banned

We get it, man. 81 points is better than 100 because when we are being taught how to count in kindergarten, it goes like this: 79, 80, 100, 81, 82, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    It also gets brought up all the time. It's possible that no matter how great the game is, people just get bored talking about it and seeing it mentioned every other day despite the fact that it happened over half a decade ago.
    agreed about it coming up a lot, in fact too much in my opinion. most of the time its brought up by trolls or obsessed kobe fans looking to start or restart an all too familiar argument between posters. when thats the case, its pretty easy to just ignore them in their entirety. but instead, everyone tends open pandoras box by responding to the trolls, resultings in 10+ pages of recycled arguments.