Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Woj: Gay to Raptors could happen tonight

Quote Originally Posted by JD_TO
    Because the NBA isn't just about playing basketball there is a business end to it as well
    so this is entirely about saving money?

not even avoiding luxury tax, and the restrictions that come with it, just purely to further lower payroll?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. NBA
    The business side of this decision would kick in after the season. We arent even in Lux Tax so why the heck is this going down??? Dam CF86, I was hoping for a Clippers Grizz rivalry to develop but we may not even see each other again in the playoffs.
    I was hoping for the same. I think you guys got fu**ed hard by the new owner which is a shame. The Grizzlies are a team that just needed a couple small changes to be perennial WCF contenders yet the jackass Pena comes in and breaks it up immediately to save money? Like you said the Grizzlies aren't in luxury tax anyways and even if they were slightly over, who gives a shit. That's the price you pay for championships.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avonbarksdale
    lowry
    derozan
    gay
    bargnani
    jv
    Yea... sick ass team. Also got Ross who has good upside. Gay brings a bit more balance because he's a capable defender and rebounder for his position.

If they swap out and get Prince, I guess its slightly better. Davis can be the PF of the future with Marc and Prince can just slide in at the three. Should've kept OJ if they were going to deal Gay though.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I forgot Calderon was going out for a sec. In that case they WILL likely move either Ross or Derozan for a PG. My point was Toronto actually gets better, Memphis gets two backups. You mentioning them saving a ton of money is exactly where they are making a mistake. Teams like Memphis who are close to perennial contender... decide to blow up their bench and even trade their 2nd best, maybe best all around player to shed cap.
    They just signed Derozan to a huge extension a few months ago, there's no way they're moving him. They also have said Ross isn't going to be traded. I'm not saying it's a smart move for Memphis but at the end of the day it's a business and some owners aren't entirely concerned about winning at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Darrell Arthur will get speights minutes now that he is healthy.
    Arthur is the 3rd big and Z-Bo's primary backup and Davis will be the 4th big and Marc's primary backup. Both Speights and Arthur played together a good bit.

It's hard to believe Detroit will give up Prince for Calderon but that would be an awesome trade for Memphis.

This is a deal that removes Gay's terrible contract and avoids millions in luxury tax in the future.
    I dont mind it at all from an organisational and big picture point of view, would have liked to see a bit more scoring coming back to Memphis though, unless Pondexter is better than advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    so this is entirely about saving money?

not even avoiding luxury tax, and the restrictions that come with it, just purely to further lower payroll?
    Yep.

The cavs trade lowered them a bit below the tax. The rationale here is gonna be will Ed Davis!!! Yeah terrific, except he'd be the second big off the bench. And when all three(Zbo, gasol, and DA) are healthy, there's rarely any minutes for the other bigs.

And Calderon doesn't help at all since...he's a backup too. And Conley rarely misses time/gets into foul trouble. And wroten has looked at least decent in his minutes.

Who Dat? Geaux Saints! Pistol Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    For those of you thinking Raptors making a mistake....are you insane? Rudy Gay is what...26 years old? He's a player that makes them better now and a piece to build on. What do you want them to do? Keep tanking year after year and pray for a good lottery pick? And we know free agents won't go there......this is a good deal.
    I'll just leave this here. Rudy Gay is a bigger Demar Derozan, solves nothing, contract is awful, and we give up arguably our best young player in Ed Davis. I assume this ushers Bargnani back to playing the 4 spot. Toronto will be a solid 6-8 seed where they'll get dominated by the elite of the East until it's time to rebuild again. This is a short sighted move meant to save Colangelo's job.

Cross posted from the Raptors forum: If this trade goes through, this franchise will have officially murdered my soul. So I leave you, gifs, just gifs to capture the entire process.

*Raptors are pursuing Rudy Gay*

*Raptors are nearing a deal to acquire Rudy Gay for Jose Calderon and Ed Davis*

*FUTURE: Official: Raptors Acquire Rudy Gay for Davis, Calderon*

NOTE: As I make this post, it seems to be official that the Raptors have dealt Calderon and Davis for Gay and Haddadi....

*MEANWHILE IN MEMPHIS*

Finally, if you're reading this Bryan Colangelo. Please, Please for the love of God:

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Marc Stein: Rudy Gay to Raptors deal IN PLACE.

The idea of Detroit acquiring Jose Calderon is interesting to me. I wonder if that'd lead them to shifting Brandon Knight to shooting guard.

Banned

hopefully Prince does go to Memphis, he was too dumb to sign with a good team but now he will land on one

I usually hit open layups JD_TO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    For those of you thinking Raptors making a mistake....are you insane? Rudy Gay is what...26 years old? He's a player that makes them better now and a piece to build on. What do you want them to do? Keep tanking year after year and pray for a good lottery pick? And we know free agents won't go there......this is a good deal.
    Only one raptor fan here thinks that tanking is the only way to build a team. When players develop they are obviously going to have to get better. With the exception of OKC completely building your team via the draft is very difficult. Just look at all of the top 7 picks for the past 10 years not all of them are studs some aren't even in the league anymore.

Default Re: Marc Stein: Rudy Gay to Raptors deal IN PLACE.

Sounds like Tayshaun Prince is the main target for Memphis. Boston is also in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by JD_TO
    Only one raptor fan here thinks that tanking is the only way to build a team. When players develop they are obviously going to have to get better. With the exception of OKC completely building your team via the draft is very difficult. Just look at all of the top 7 picks for the past 10 years not all of them are studs some aren't even in the league anymore.
    OKC was like hitting the lottery. Everything went absolutely right. They got really high picks and struck gold miracously each time. How often does that happen?

Not saying getting draft picks is bad, but you have a chance to get a very good young talent in Gay, why not do it? What do they need cap space for? For who? Who's going there?

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    People saying Derozan is a goner aren't remembering that he came into this league as a SG and will be fine there. Calderon+Derozan+Gay will be a SICK trio of wing players IMO. Davis is a nice young player but they seem to be clearing the way for Valuncunias. Bargs should be moved to PF again IMO since he can't rebound worth a shit.

Raptors win this trade in a landslide. Davis won't get hardly any playing time behind Zbo and Gasol anyways to make an impact.

What position do you think Bargnani and DeRozan have been playing?

Gay and DeRozan mean two guys who aren't especially good shooters. I'd rather keep Ross, especially considering the contracts. And I'd rather keep Davis. I don't see why Memphis is taking him, unless he's the backup C. He's a legit starter and an excellent backup. He'd probably go to the third team.

The Raptors can win this, in a landslide...what Memphis is doing is atrocious. At least ask for Ross and play him at the 3 and get a guy who doesn't need the ball and is an elite shooter...plus he's athletic and can play defense. Hell, play Bargnani at the 3 for lol's. Maybe he'd do well. But for this to be worth it for them, they better focus on Lowry (I guess they will, with Calderon being traded) and RUNNING. They have to amnesty Bargnani. He and Gay are a bad mix. And they should send DeRozan out...unless they get another shooter in the starting lineup. The ball has GOT to be in Lowry's hands. Let him RUN.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 01-30-2013 at 06:56 PM.