Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Default Re: Tons of players in the league get max contracts... how many are really worth that?

If the NBA didn't cap team and individual salaries, there would be 30-40 guys making over what the current max salary is. And superstars like KD and Steph and Giannis would be making three or four times what they're making now. Maybe more. How much would an owner like Mark Cuban be willing to pay Durant to play for the Mavs? If KD could make $60 million a year playing for the Mavs, then I'd argue he's worth $60 million.

Default Re: Tons of players in the league get max contracts... how many are really worth that?

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    What about Paul George, Dame, and Oladipo? I would consider Bradley Beal too, 26/6/5 on 48/35/80 is solid as hell.
    Welllllllll, with all due respect, any pause for reconsideration with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    Welllllllll, with all due respect, any pause for reconsideration with this?
    If Harden gets one, then Dame gets one. I'll leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    If Harden gets one, then Dame gets one. I'll leave it at that
    As underwhelming as Harden has been in the playoffs, they are very clearly a different class of player, both in the regular season and post season.

There is no comparison. Harden is literally miles better, despite being a total scumbag. Lillard pulls some of the same shit on the court in terms of exploits. He's just not as good at it.

As underwhelming as Harden has been in the playoffs, they are very clearly a different class of player, both in the regular season and post season.

There is no comparison. Harden is literally miles better, despite being a total scumbag. Lillard pulls some of the same shit on the court in terms of exploits. He's just not as good at it.
    Lillard made First Team All-NBA, he definitely should get consideration for a max based off of just that. Harden plays completely different like you said, but his usage is also absurdly high because of his team and system. I would say Lillard is a tier below Steph and Harden, which is still max contract worthy.

Saw a basketball once

In my humble opinion, there are only roughly 10 guys in the entire league worth max contracts, if they were a free agent today... right this moment.

These things are handed out far too frequently, I think.

In no particular order...

Kawhi Leonard
    Giannis Antetokounmpo
    Kevin Durant
    Stephen Curry
    James Harden
    Anthony Davis
    Nikola Jokic
    LeBron James (arguably not because of age)
    Joel Embiid (arguably not because of health)

Actually, that ends up being a total of 9 players league wide, 2 of which are questionable. Pretty crazy stuff, considering how many max deals are out there. Owners will continue to overpay because they kind of have to. Too many short sighted GMs giving them out like they're water drives the market up for all the fringe max guys.
    i agree with the list and would add towns, and possibly PG13 and RW also.

You're right, but the arbitrarily capped contracts and salary cap just leads to an overall inferior product for the NBA. If they were to remove contract limits, and remove cap limits, this problem would balance itself out over time.

It is true that some teams would turn into complete garbage and couldn't compete, but there's a ton of teams that are already garbage regardless, even with the arbitrary caps.

If they removed all limits, some franchises would ultimately fold up shop.

I don't think the NBA is concerned with the quality of the product. They're just interested in maximizing revenue. It's the only explanation as to how some franchises still exist. The league makes more money with those franchises existing than they would if it didn't.
    The salary cap needs to stay.

Restrictions on individual max contracts need to go. Someone like Lebron would get a 50m contract because hes worth that much.

Now can you construct a team around someone making 50m? Maybe, maybe not. Wouldnt leave you a lot of cap left over, but if you dont pay it, someone else will.

Very good NBA starter

From a business standpoint a max contract player should be talented while putting butts in the seats.