Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: worst dunk contest participants ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Gotta be Darrell Armstrong. He did a layup in the Dunk Contest
    Ha, but the truth is at least in Armstrong's case, that layup was merely him conceding his round. There were 90-second dunk programs back then, where players were required to finish three dunks in that time span. Each of Armstrong's run-ups required a 65 foot sprinting start. He finished his first dunk (a pretty sick double pump reverse) then had the next couple rim out. By the time he'd reached the end of his run, with just one dunk completed, he knew he wasn't going to advance. Plus, he was clearly out of gas from 90-seconds of sprinting. As such, when his mis-stepped on his footing, he just sort of threw it up there because time was expiring anyway.

I think Kenny Smith's labeling of Armstrong as one of the worst dunkers ever in one of his countdowns a few years ago really seemed to bring about a myth about Darrell's performance.

For me, one of the worst dunk contest performers ever has to be Tony Dumas, simply for his gross mis-management of time. He spends the first 45 seconds dancing around, wiggling, and posing for the crowd (while missing one dunk). Then he looks at the crowd, stunned, and then runs out to touch half court before trying his next dunk, at which point he begins to blame his knee. At least Armstrong went full blast and actually made a dunk while not trying to act like he was the coolest guy of 1995: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FC3o2FXnZs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Ha, but the truth is at least in Armstrong's case, that layup was merely him conceding his round. There were 90-second dunk programs back then, where players were required to finish three dunks in that time span. Each of Armstrong's run-ups required a 65 foot sprinting start. He finished his first dunk (a pretty sick double pump reverse) then had the next couple rim out. By the time he'd reached the end of his run, with just one dunk completed, he knew he wasn't going to advance. Plus, he was clearly out of gas from 90-seconds of sprinting. As such, when his mis-stepped on his footing, he just sort of threw it up there because time was expiring anyway.

I think Kenny Smith's labeling of Armstrong as one of the worst dunkers ever in one of his countdowns a few years ago really seemed to bring about a myth about Darrell's performance.

For me, one of the worst dunk contest performers ever has to be Tony Dumas, simply for his gross mis-management of time. He spends the first 45 seconds dancing around, wiggling, and posing for the crowd (while missing one dunk). Then he looks at the crowd, stunned, and then runs out to touch half court before trying his next dunk, at which point he begins to blame his knee. At least Armstrong went full blast and actually made a dunk while not trying to act like he was the coolest guy of 1995: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FC3o2FXnZs

Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

Why do we get crappy dunk contests year after year? Don't they listen to the fans? Or are most fans idiots?

The contest sucked with only 4 dunkers and 2 rounds....now 1 round.

We should decide the format....

6 dunkers, 3 rounds. Player and fan voting to decide who will participate (if willing)....no more of these "oh, he's willing...let's throw him in there" no-name/washed up/can't dunk/can't handle the spotlight scrubs.

No more pointless flashy props also.

If you are going to have the event....do it right, or not at all. 2-on-2 would be better.

Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

LMAO @ Penny's face @ Dumas performance.

Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dV-...endscreen&NR=1

Jamie Watson did well there with no crowd reaction because he wasn't well-known and lacked charisma.
    Last edited by Living Being; 02-19-2012 at 11:29 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Living Being
    LMAO @ Penny's face @ Dumas performance.

Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dV-...endscreen&NR=1

Jamie Watson did well there with no crowd reaction because he wasn't well-known and lacked charisma.
    Yep, I'm being completely honest when I say I used to try to imitate Jamie Watson when I was younger (on a much, much lower hoop). I thought he turned in a heck of a performance and had he finished the bounce-to-side-windmill, he may have given Harold Miner a run for a his money.

You're right about the charisma though. That counted for a lot when those 90-second programs were in play. You can feel the crowd spark up anytime a player began playing to them, whether it was forced or not. So I mean, at least Tony Dumas was on the right track, kind of.

NBA Superstar

Just stumbled across this and thought I'd share... I still think Kenny Smith jokingly suggesting Darrell Armstrong shot a layup on purpose has created a stigma around Armstrong and his true dunk abilities. For those that don't know, he didn't reach the NBA until his mid-20's. Before then, he was doing stuff like this in Cyprus and Spain:

He was still a nasty open floor dunker in Orlando, but he was bringing the pain overseas too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGnpNuH0dbc