Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you think of the NBA age minimum?

Adam Silver wants it raised: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=15925

Higher, lower, stay the same? What do you think
    Last edited by insidehoops; 05-22-2014 at 04:51 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: What do you think of the NBA age minimum?

Don't like it. It's not like players who were being drafted out of high school had a high bust rate or anything either.

If you're good enough to play in the league when you're 10 years old, then you're good enough. No age limit is the best way.

I like it, the extra year certainly helps development of young players. It would produce more NBA ready rookies.

The reasons for its imposition are obvious but I'm not sure I agree. It'll just exacerbate the NCAA problem even further, which already severely restricts the liberties of these soon-to-be pros. If a kid wants to come out of high-school, what harm is really done?

Is it in regards to education? How many of these prospects who would likely be drafted out of high-school are actually interested in their education? It's not as if the option of furthering one's education is being taken away completely anyway. A no-age-limit system would just allow them to decide which is more important to them rather than to have the decision made for them.

Is it in regards to player maturity? If that's the case, the draft should take care of that. With any pick in the draft, this trait will likely get factored into the overall analysis of the player. If anything, having no-age-limit will tests the scouts a bit more and make the draft even more exciting. Do you get with the kobe-type player who's clearly skilled out of his mind but may be immature with a necessary maturation phase, or do you go with the guy who may not have that same ceiling of talent, but just killed it in college? To me, it just adds to the fun of scouting players and drafting.

If anything, the NBA should utilize it's D-League more; it is after all, the developmental league.

On a side note, it would be dope if there was a league strictly for young prospects between 18-20, set up like the NBA. A draft would be done yearly for kids coming out of high school, and they'd play in a regular season (not as many games of course) and playoffs. This would allow the top prospects to play against each other in a much more competitive league than the NCAA, and give scouts a better opportunity to view these players in a more competitive atmosphere. NBA could also use this league to mentor players, develop maturity, etc...They also wouldn't be restricted from making money off their name and likeness like they currently are in the NCAA. This is extremely unrealistic but how great would it be to see teams loaded with young prospects play in an ultra-competitive league linked with the NBA? I know I'd watch that shit religiously unlike my current apathetic attitude towards NCAA.

I rule the local playground unknowns8's Avatar

I'm a fan of it going up to the drinking age of some states i.e 21

college rivalries between players built up over years would flow over into the league and make NBA games now more interesting to watch. Games with players who have had many battles that have brewed over time (think Jordan v Ewing), u know the game is NOT going to lack intensity

think of it like this ... if Bron, Melo, Wade, Bosh all had to play play college ball for 3 years then in that time it'd likely be against (to name a few) Bogut, Howard, Jefferson, Paul, Willliams, Monta!

surely our league now would be more interesting as a result yeah ...

I rule the local playground unknowns8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    On a side note, it would be dope if there was a league strictly for young prospects between 18-20, set up like the NBA. A draft would be done yearly for kids coming out of high school, and they'd play in a regular season (not as many games of course) and playoffs. This would allow the top prospects to play against each other in a much more competitive league than the NCAA, and give scouts a better opportunity to view these players in a more competitive atmosphere. NBA could also use this league to mentor players, develop maturity, etc...They also wouldn't be restricted from making money off their name and likeness like they currently are in the NCAA. This is extremely unrealistic but how great would it be to see teams loaded with young prospects play in an ultra-competitive league linked with the NBA? I know I'd watch that shit religiously unlike my current apathetic attitude towards NCAA.

I'd thoroughly support that concept, good call mate

I just want to watch basketball. Let these morons with suits worry about the stupid details.

NBA All-star

I won't get into depth of this, but I think there had been a huge phenomenom since what happened in the early days of high schoolers going straight pro. There went through a time where players as young as middle school/high school were being scouted by "basketball scouts" especially that of future endorsement companies. Then we went through the great age of high schoolers to pro and not pan out phase, which before it happened, the one and done was set in, which still didn't really stop the process.

Have companies stop scouting into young players and hoping to sign the next big deal before they even hit it big? it appears so.

Does that mean we should lower the minimum wage for NBA because some players just wants to be in the league?

That's a matter of how the NBA wants to do its quality control, since I think that once the minimum wage is dropped, the flood of international players might reappear.

But as for a college coach to his player, I would say that until you think that you have dominated the college level, which of course, includes skills, I wouldn't understand the jump to NBA based on pure "potential" unless there's a strong need for a paycheck at home.

The NBA should create a rule that allows teams to "redshirt" players under 20 years old. Maybe the players salary wouldn't count against the cap, and perhaps their contract could be back-loaded with team options. This would allow players to enter the NBA at the age of 18, but would also allow teams to develop young players without feeling the need for them to produce immediately.

Very good NBA starter

Lower it to 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack

It's called the NBA D-League, and nobody takes it seriously. The problem is money. Players will real talent that aren't in the NBA can make more money in Asia or Europe than playing for peanuts in the D-League.

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops
    Adam Silver wants it raised: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=15925

Higher, lower, stay the same? What do you think
    This is just a stepping stone in the direction of the ultimate goal: 4 year degrees or 22 years old.

Decent college freshman

There should be no age limit. This is basically a scam so NCAA can keep making money off these guys instead of them bolting to the NBA after one year.

Serious playground baller Ball So Harden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    There should be no age limit. This is basically a scam so NCAA can keep making money off these guys instead of them bolting to the NBA after one year.
    So, how do you feel about 15 year olds being signed by teams and them dropping out of high school hoping to get groomed by an NBA team that sees potential in them?