Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Serious playground baller usa hoops's Avatar

Default Could Dennis Rodman defend Lebron?

Of course, I'm referring to Rodman in his prime.

I wouldn't expect him to shut him down, but could he frustrate him enough that he would hold him below his average?

Default Re: Could Dennis Rodman defend Lebron?

what kinda question is this? do you consider rodman to be a good defensive player?

because i consider him a great defensive player, one of the best ever. this is not like dikembe mutumbo having shaq dunk on him 12 times a game after he wins defensive player of the year awards you know. so obviously he could thwart lebrons game. frustration sounds about right. wear him out, and make him work for his points.

No, but he'd do as good a job as anyone could. Rodman would defend LBJ the same way he played Malone.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    what kinda question is this? do you consider rodman to be a good defensive player?
    I know how I feel about Rodman, I ask the question to see how everyone else feels. It may be a rhetorical question to you, but some may disagree.

with handchecking, yes and no (lebron is an all-time great already, not many players would be able to stop him)
    without handchecking, no.

dont you guys understand, rodman is a 1 way player. in some ways similar to bruce bowen. they werent needed for offense (yes, bowen was lethal on corner 3s. but he didnt have any responsibilities offensively but to take those 3s to keep his defender honest).

but if you're gonna surround rodman with a bunch of bad defenders... than NO he could not contain lebron. rodman surrounded by the bad boy pistons and 3peat bulls... YES absolutely he could contain lebron. altho... i dont know if he could cover the quicker guys later in his career. but him on the pistons? absolutely. lebron would not drop 30 lol

Quote Originally Posted by usa hoops
    Of course, I'm referring to Rodman in his prime.

I wouldn't expect him to shut him down, but could he frustrate him enough that he would hold him below his average?
    Dennis Rodman's "Incedible defense on Shaq!" video has made Dennis Rodman overrated as a defender. Rodman was not the best defender in his time, he was known as a pest player that would get in your head and cheapshot you a few times in order to get you throw out of games, he also was good at making the right kind of hustle intangible plays at the right time to help the teams he was on, and was of course a supremely elite rebounder. But he wasn't some defensive god. If you want someone to defend Lebron from that era you pick Scottie Pippen.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    dont you guys understand, rodman is a 1 way player. in some ways similar to bruce bowen. they werent needed for offense (yes, bowen was lethal on corner 3s. but he didnt have any responsibilities offensively but to take those 3s to keep his defender honest).

but if you're gonna surround rodman with a bunch of bad defenders... than NO he could not contain lebron. rodman surrounded by the bad boy pistons and 3peat bulls... YES absolutely he could contain lebron. altho... i dont know if he could cover the quicker guys later in his career. but him on the pistons? absolutely. lebron would not drop 30 lol
    Is that why he struggled against Dallas in the 2011 Finals? He had a very athletic Shawn Marion, and he had to get past Tyson Chandler in the post.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    he was known as a pest player that would get in your head and cheapshot you a few times in order to get you throw out of games
    Exactly, and I don't think LeBron is smart enough or mature enough to take that abuse. He would get incredibly frustrated, it would get in his head and he'd f*ck up badly. Rodman would Brickowski his ass.

While not being the greatest man defender, he's still arguably as good as Tony Allen, Marion, and other guys who gave LeBron a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by usa hoops
    Is that why he struggled against Dallas in the 2011 Finals? He had a very athletic Shawn Marion, and he had to get past Tyson Chandler in the post.
    Definitely dude Chandler is a great defensive big, to put behind good defenders to prevent layup after layup. Marion + Kidd on the perimeter, with Chandler down low. This is why I do not discount the Knicks pestering the Heat, if they ever get a chance to match up. They have the ingredients, they just need all the old farts to get healthy.

What is a good job? Would Lebron get his 25? Probably... would it be one of the hardest 25 ppg he would have gotten? You damn right.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Rodman would be in foul trouble before halftime. LeBron would blow past him everytime.

No, thats a speed/quickness mismatch (talent/skill mismatch is obvious)... and Lebron is even bigger than Rodman was...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Shawn Marion shut down Lebron, and Rodman was a superior defender to Marion. I don't see why he couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Shawn Marion shut down Lebron, and Rodman was a superior defender to Marion. I don't see why he couldn't.
    Marion shut down Lebron? What? Where? When? How? No my man... its not him or any one man that was bothering him, it was those guys behind Marion.... but more than that it was himself that shut himself down