Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Hawks being sold

[QUOTE=kentatm]the Kings are up there

Rochester Royals

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    Williams was the consensus no. 2 pick that year, so at the time it didn't seem like a horrible pick.
    Williams was not a horrible pick at that time, but consensus #2 he was not. Bogut was arguable consensus #1, but Hawks were widely criticized for that pick the minute they made it.

Not sure how long they keep threads around here, but iirc, if you look back, you'll see it was not a consensus pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
    Williams was not a horrible pick at that time, but consensus #2 he was not. Bogut was arguable consensus #1, but Hawks were widely criticized for that pick the minute they made it.

Not sure how long they keep threads around here, but iirc, if you look back, you'll see it was not a consensus pick.
    I guess that is debateable, it's been a while, but I remember that for the most part Marvin was considered the consensus no. 2 pick because of his potential, height and athleticism. He was expected to be a 20 ppg scorer, which clearly he has not turned out to be. If he had been close to that, then the pick would have been a success. Of course, Marvin's laziness and lack of work ethic has certainly played a significant part in his lack of growth.

That said, it was clearly boneheaded not to pick Paul or Deron Williams.

But even more boneheaded was picking Shelden Williams over Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy. Add either one to the Hawks (which could happen with Roy coming to the Hawks for Williams and Hinrich), then we are looking at a championship level team.

Not airballing my layups anymore MrRogers's Avatar

The Hawks needed a PG in 2005. Hell, Raymond Felton could've filled that void. Bad choice by Billy Knight.

Default Re: Atlanta Hawks being sold, team not being moved

hawkfan Trade Scenario:

Hawks get

Andrew Bynum (who could have been drafted instead of Marvin Williams)

Lakers get

Al Horford

Learning to shoot layups herschel4heisman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    I guess that is debateable, it's been a while, but I remember that for the most part Marvin was considered the consensus no. 2 pick because of his potential, height and athleticism. He was expected to be a 20 ppg scorer, which clearly he has not turned out to be. If he had been close to that, then the pick would have been a success. Of course, Marvin's laziness and lack of work ethic has certainly played a significant part in his lack of growth.

That said, it was clearly boneheaded not to pick Paul or Deron Williams.
    At the time it was just a bad decision but in hindsight it is elevated to a historically atrocious decision. Once the NBA season ended that year I remember thinking we are finally gonna get a point guard, Deron or Chris Paul. I preferred Chris but Billy Knight didn't like him b/c he felt he was too small. This is even after Chris Paul publicly stated he wanted to get drafted by the Hawks and, as he even now says, had his best workout with the Hawks.

But Billy Knight, as I heard him say many times on Atl sports talk radio, didn't believe in specific positions like the 1, 2, 3 or 4. His dream was to have a center and the other 4 players to be interchangeable 6ft7 to 6ft9 swingmen. That's why a year after drafting 6ft8 Josh Childress with the 6th pick and 6ft9 Josh Smith with the 17th pick, he drafted 6ft8 Marvin Williams with the 2nd pick. At the time it made absolutely no sense to me especially considering the need we had at point guard with Paul and Deron available. I think I am right when I say prior to Acie LAw, in all Billy Knight's years as a GM, he had never drafted a guard in the 1st rd. He believed in his interchangeable theory to the point where. and people have forgotten now, but Joe Johnson was signed to be our point guard. When it became painfully obvious after about 10 games that he's not a pg, we had to go to the backup plan: Royal Ivey.

And that is why I really believe we didn't draft Chris Paul. The year of the Paul draft was the same summer we signed Joe Johnson. Billy Knight didn't see the need at point that any other reasonable person did b/c he was gonna offer JJ max money to be his point guard and surround Joe with the 3 forwards he had drafted in the 1st round the previous 2 drafts. I am being 100% honest when I say, at the time, drafting Marvin made no sense to me considering the talent available in the draft at a position of need. I at least tried to make myself feel better by saying Marvin is supposed to be talented so if he turns out to be this start others are saying he can become it'll mitigate the problems not drafting a point guard will cause. But we all know what ended up happening with Marvin . . .

Not airballing my layups anymore MrRogers's Avatar

Anyone got that pic of CP3 in Hawks gear?

Quote Originally Posted by herschel4heisman
    At the time it was just a bad decision but in hindsight it is elevated to a historically atrocious decision. Once the NBA season ended that year I remember thinking we are finally gonna get a point guard, Deron or Chris Paul. I preferred Chris but Billy Knight didn't like him b/c he felt he was too small. This is even after Chris Paul publicly stated he wanted to get drafted by the Hawks and, as he even now says, had his best workout with the Hawks.

But Billy Knight, as I heard him say many times on Atl sports talk radio, didn't believe in specific positions like the 1, 2, 3 or 4. His dream was to have a center and the other 4 players to be interchangeable 6ft7 to 6ft9 swingmen. That's why a year after drafting 6ft8 Josh Childress with the 6th pick and 6ft9 Josh Smith with the 17th pick, he drafted 6ft8 Marvin Williams with the 2nd pick. At the time it made absolutely no sense to me especially considering the need we had at point guard with Paul and Deron available. I think I am right when I say prior to Acie LAw, in all Billy Knight's years as a GM, he had never drafted a guard in the 1st rd. He believed in his interchangeable theory to the point where. and people have forgotten now, but Joe Johnson was signed to be our point guard. When it became painfully obvious after about 10 games that he's not a pg, we had to go to the backup plan: Royal Ivey.

And that is why I really believe we didn't draft Chris Paul. The year of the Paul draft was the same summer we signed Joe Johnson. Billy Knight didn't see the need at point that any other reasonable person did b/c he was gonna offer JJ max money to be his point guard and surround Joe with the 3 forwards he had drafted in the 1st round the previous 2 drafts. I am being 100% honest when I say, at the time, drafting Marvin made no sense to me considering the talent available in the draft at a position of need. I at least tried to make myself feel better by saying Marvin is supposed to be talented so if he turns out to be this start others are saying he can become it'll mitigate the problems not drafting a point guard will cause. But we all know what ended up happening with Marvin . . .
    1. Josh Childress was the reason the Hawks didn't pick Roy or go Gay that draft, instead picking Shelden Williams. Horrible.

2. Acie Law - terrible selection at no. 10 in the draft.

Looking forward, the Hawks need to get a passer in the front court, and better production from Josh Smith, and get Teague more experience. Not happy with the Hawks losing Hilton Armstrong, especially since the Hawks gave up a first round pick to Washington to get rid of Bibby's contract (which has turned out to be Chris Singleton).

Made that high school varsity squad JaskoX1's Avatar

this thread quickly turned into the "lets make outragious trade scenarios"

cp3 hawks, dwight howard. lol

have a better shot of getting shaq out of retirement then landing the Howard.

Nice story about the Hawks new owner.

Seems like a great guy, and I think he will be a welcome change from the Atlanta Spirit Group, which overall did well considering the circumstances they had to deal with:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/09...ner/?hpt=hp_t2

Al Horford, Kirk Hinrich, 2 first round picks for Dwight Howard.

There's a nice open arena in Anaheim I hear...