Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2011-12 Jazz could play big-man musical chairs

Even Tim Duncan and Richard Jefferson told Big Al they were impressed by the Millsap-Favors-Jefferson combo when the Jazz recently played the Spurs.

"I think it'd be a weapon for us to get big as a group of guys with different guys playing different positions," said Corbin, adding that it's a way to fight height when you don't have a dominant 7-foot-2 center patrolling the paint.

As for Millsap, Corbin admitted his usual starting power forward occasionally struggled to guard players in the corner

I would be very surprised if (Ante Tomic) ended up playing in the NBA. And judging by what his agent told me, so would he. He could probably play in the NBA and be a decent backup, because he can really score, but he's not very tough and will struggle with everything that has to do with defense and rebounding. I think he's probably better suited physically and mentally for Europe and he'll be paid more over there anyway.

Brian T. Smith: Jazz don't plan to see Tomic in Europe. Asked for update about Tomic, Corbin said he wasn't sure how he figured into Utah's plans.

O

Corbin on Evans adding muscle weight: The offseason is staring to show now. He's a pretty serious kid about getting better.

Jefferson not just talking but proving it, and working to make himself a better defender:
    He is working towards it, to get stronger, to get faster, to get more athletic if he can. He's doing everything he can right now to help the process speed up a little bit.

Unlike the '99 lockout, NBA players are examining other ways to get on the court. Former teammate Deron Williams, of the New Jersey Nets, announced that he's going to take his talents to Turkey. "It's different, man, it's an option. I think it's an option that a lot of players are going to do or going to try to do." said Millsap. "With me, hopefully, if it sounds good, I might look into it. That's definitely an option. Hopefully, it will work out for him (Williams)." KSL.com

Williams is the only NBA player under contract who has committed to playing overseas during the lockout. Reports say that he'd return to the NBA once the lockout is over. With the NBA superstar committing early to play overseas, other players are sure to follow. "I'm going to look into it." said Millsap, "I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Either way, I'm going to be happy doing it. Overseas is something different. It's a different area out there. It would be different for me." KSL.com

Even if the lockout ends, there's no guarantees that Millsap will still be with the Jazz. "In the NBA, you never can tell. You never know. Every week I heard my name in trade rumors. You never know how that is going to go. I love Utah, it's the team that drafted me and it's a perfect fit. So, hopefully, I can help that team out." KSL.com

Center Kyrylo Fesenko is considering offers to play overseas next season. A move is not imminent, though, and Fesenko has received interest from European teams in the past.

It was reported Monday that Spanish club Baskonia is pursuing Fesenko.

The 7-foot-1, 280-pound Fesenko averaged 2 points, 2 rebounds and 8.6 minutes last season in 53 games for the Jazz. He will become an unrestricted free agent once the NBA lockout ends and players are allowed to sign with new teams.

Fesenko, 24, is expected to play for a Mike Fratello-coached Ukraine team in the 2011 EuroBasket tournament, which is scheduled Aug. 31-Sept. 18 in Lithuaina.

Fesenko has fully recovered from a right thumb fracture that prematurely ended his 2010-11 season, forcing him to miss Utah's final five games.

Fesenko turned down an opportunity last season to sign a restricted free agent offer sheet with Houston, instead opting to re-sign with the Jazz. He entered camp slimmed down and highly motivated, but never fulfilled his preseason promise. Fesenko scored a season-high 11 points on 5-of-8 shooting and grabbed seven rebounds Feb. 7 during a come-from-behind road victory against Sacramento. But he only recorded double digits in minutes four times during the next 29 games.

Fesenko expressed interest during April about re-signing with the Jazz next season. But he also acknowledged that the 2010-11 campaign might have been his last with the only franchise that he has played for since entering the NBA in 2007.

Fesenko is expected to receive interest from several NBA teams once free agency starts. He is a young, affordable reserve big man who has yet to reach his ceiling, and would likely benefit from a change of scenery.

It is unlikely that Utah resigns Fesenko unless the Jazz free up space in a crowded frontline. Al Jefferson, Enes Kanter and Mehmet Okur are set to compete for minutes at center, while Paul Millsap, Derrick Favors and Jeremy Evans control the depth chart at power forward.

Caja Laboral would have ruled out signing Fesenko, NBA free agent who last played with the Utah Jazz. El Correo

Center Kyrylo Fesenko is no longer under contract with the Utah Jazz, but the Ukrainian might have a new team soon.

The 7-foot-1 big man is reportedly close to signing a deal to play on a team in his native land. According to the club's website, Ukrainian club Dnipro and Fesenko are working out a contract for the center to return home to play professionally.

Terms of the potential deal were not announced.
    The 24-year-old Fesenko, who's from Ukrainian city Dnepropetrovsk, has spent the past four seasons in Utah where he averaged 2.3 points and 2.0 rebounds for the Jazz.

Though he endeared fans with his funny antics, Fesenko failed to find a consistent role with the team despite his physical presence. He shot 49.8 percent from the field but just 39.8 percent from the free-throw line in 132 NBA games with Utah.

Andrei Kirilenko has talked about playing in Russia, his native country, or for teams in Europe.