Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: '84, '96, '03 Drafts

Quote Originally Posted by pj24lal
    They've played 4 years in the league and I said "Look at these players and where they are going" so you can't make the success point til theyre at the end of their careers.
    How the f*ck can you tell where they are going based on a few seasons? Pavlovic? Couldn't crack double figures in scoring last year, and you figured you'd use him as part of your argument that '03 class is better than '84?

You know how many of those '84 players had seasons that made it look like they were going to be stars?

Sam Bowie was looking like he'd at the very least be an early incarnation of Divac before he blew his knee out. Perkins was dropping 15 a night for the Mavs in his sleep. Jay Humphries was a starting PG on a solid Bucks team and at his peak, no worse than Ford or Hinrich are right now. Michael Cage had a year when he put up 15 PPG and 14 RPG. Led the league in rebounding. There were at least a handful of other players who managed to put up a few decent seasons.

Either way, the quartet of Barkley, MJ, Hakeem, and Stockton is mindblowing. Each one was top-3 all time at their position.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
    How the f*ck can you tell where they are going based on a few seasons? Pavlovic? Couldn't crack double figures in scoring last year, and you figured you'd use him as part of your argument that '03 class is better than '84?

You know how many of those '84 players had seasons that made it look like they were going to be stars?

Sam Bowie was looking like he'd at the very least be an early incarnation of Divac before he blew his knee out. Perkins was dropping 15 a night for the Mavs in his sleep. Jay Humphries was a starting PG on a solid Bucks team and at his peak, no worse than Ford or Hinrich are right now. Michael Cage had a year when he put up 15 PPG and 14 RPG. Led the league in rebounding. There were at least a handful of other players who managed to put up a few decent seasons.

Either way, the quartet of Barkley, MJ, Hakeem, and Stockton is mindblowing. Each one was top-3 all time at their position.
    Look I ain't gonna argue about what may or may not happen in the future any more what's the point, no-one knows. And yes, Pavlovic was the weak link in my "potential" point but he played in the finals last year so I took that to mind.

Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Took SsK's '84 squad and added a few names....

PG John Stockton/Alvin Roberston
    SG Michael Jordan/Tony Campbell/Vern Fleming
    SF Jerome Kersey/Otis Thorpe?
    PF Charles Barkley
    C Hakeem Olajuwon/Kevin Willis
    that's better but let's do this:

pg Stockton / Robertson
    sg Jordan / Campbell (but actually you'd just use a three guard rotations since alvin can play the 1 and the 2 and defends both great)
    sf barkley / kersey
    pf perkins / thorpe (no need to omit sam perkins)
    c olajuwon / willis

this is the least deep of the three teams in terms of individual talent, but if you actually intend to play games, imo, it is the best. look at the minutes:

Center: 36 Akeem, 12 Willis
    PF: 24 Barkley, 24 Kersey or Thorpe depending on if you need power or shooting
    SF: 12 Jordan, 12 Barkley, 24 Kersey
    SG:24 Jordan, 24 Robertson
    PG: 36 Stockton, 12 Robertson

or you could cut back robertson's minutes, play michael more at the 2 and get more out of all the terrific big guys. or you could cut more of the big guys to give charles more time at the 4.

you could go super defense with alvin, mj, kersey, thorpe, and akeem or unguardable offense with stockton, jordan, barkley, perkins, and akeem. you could play a running game, a pick and roll game, an inside outside game, or any number of isolation games.

you would dominate the boards against basically all competition. you would create more turnovers than any other draft class by far (jordan, alvin, and stockton are all over the all-time steals list - and so is hakeem who also happens to own the all time blocks mark - jordan has the most blocks by a guard and chuck, willis, perkins, and thorpe could all block a shot in their youth).

you've got a couple dead eye shooters, two absolute forces in the low post, one monster in the high post, and one of the 5 best passers the game has ever seen. you've got untenable matchups who require double teams in jordan, barkley, and akeem, all of whom are great passers to open cutters and shooters, and all of whom know when to cut and how to shoot. you've got one of the strongest most intense practice leaders in history (jordan), as well as a good humor guy to keep the mood light and the confidence high (charles), and two quiet professional floor leaders (john and akeem).

no weaknesses. tons of strengths. great team. overall talent, very top heavy. actual gameplay, a very hard team to beat.

Imagine if Drexler would have stayed all four years at Houston and came out in the 84 draft & Patrick Ewing would have came out a season earlier instead of 85.

Sh.it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pj24lal
    They've played 4 years in the league and I said "Look at these players and where they are going" so you can't make the success point til theyre at the end of their careers.
    I look at them and I imagine where they are going. I see none of them (except for perhaps Lebron) being top 5 at their position. Jordan, Olajuwon, Barkley and Stockton are locked at top 5 in their position so...

1984: Jordan, Stockton, Barkley, Hakeem
    1996: Kobe, Allen, Nash, Iverson
    2003: LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Carmelo

I say 1984.

Banned

84>03>96

Quote Originally Posted by rknine15

/thread

2003 was reaaly really strong, maybe 5 HOF`s, but 1984 had 4 iirc.
    But since 84 was the year the GOAT was sraftet, and you also have the alltime assist leader and Hakeem, I have go for 1984, obviously.