Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Did the Nuggets get overrated too soon?

Sure it's early and 4-6 isn't a hole they can't get out of. That being said most had them a top 4 seed (better than Grizzlies, Clippers and even Spurs) and analysts were guaranteeing a big leap. A few even had them as the winners of the west and number 1 seed .

I always thought it was foolish because many teams ahead of them in the west got stronger too and Iggy isn't THAT good to take a team up an entire tier or two. When watching them so far this year they still have the same issues of not having a dependable go to scorer. On top of that Lawson who was supposedly their best player due to make a leap is playing like ass after his big contract.

Do you still think Denver will have HCA and be an elite team in the west? Or are they getting exposed as getting overhyped and overrated a bit too early? Their roster is more intact from previous seasons than the Grizzlies, Clippers and Lakers who all added multiple pieces this summer. So chemistry issues don't seem valid to me and we know most players can plug into that system right away and just play.

Default Re: Did the Nuggets get overrated too soon?

Wait for Will The Thrill to get back............

They've very good. I don't think they get HCA. But that's because the two LA's, SA, Memphis, OKC.

I don't think they'd beat either LA or Memphis or San Antonio. I think OKC is the weakest of the group and that, while they might even have the best player (and it's not as clear as people think) going ISO is gonna get old. Do I think Denver could beat OKC? Probably not. I really don't think they could beat the other teams.

Lawson will play better, tho we'll see if he thinks the leap. He might be a tad bit overrated, as I don't think he'll ever be top 10, but he is very good and should make an all-star team in his life. I think McGee is the guy with the ceiling tho. Maybe next year we'll see him as an all-star.

I think Denver can push any team to 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    They've very good. I don't think they get HCA. But that's because the two LA's, SA, Memphis, OKC.

I don't think they'd beat either LA or Memphis or San Antonio. I think OKC is the weakest of the group and that, while they might even have the best player (and it's not as clear as people think) going ISO is gonna get old. Do I think Denver could beat OKC? Probably not. I really don't think they could beat the other teams.

Lawson will play better, tho we'll see if he thinks the leap. He might be a tad bit overrated, as I don't think he'll ever be top 10, but he is very good and should make an all-star team in his life. I think McGee is the guy with the ceiling tho. Maybe next year we'll see him as an all-star.
    I forgot the McGee thing. WTF happened? The guy looked flat out dominant at times vs the Lakers frontcourt of all teams in the playoffs. Then gets fat deal, has weird rift with Karl and doesn't seem to have much impact right now outside of blocking shots. Hakeem said dude could be the next superstar center . I know he's had his moments but why is he in the doghouse?
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 11-18-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Sure it's early and 4-6 isn't a hole they can't get out of. That being said most had them a top 4 seed (better than Grizzlies, Clippers and even Spurs) and analysts were guaranteeing a big leap. A few even had them as the winners of the west and number 1 seed .

I always thought it was foolish because many teams ahead of them in the west got stronger too and Iggy isn't THAT good to take a team up an entire tier or two. When watching them so far this year they still have the same issues of not having a dependable go to scorer. On top of that Lawson who was supposedly their best player due to make a leap is playing like ass after his big contract.

Do you still think Denver will have HCA and be an elite team in the west? Or are they getting exposed as getting overhyped and overrated a bit too early? Their roster is more intact from previous seasons than the Grizzlies, Clippers and Lakers who all added multiple pieces this summer. So chemistry issues don't seem valid to me and we know most players can plug into that system right away and just play.
    They're overrated if people thought they could be truly elite for the simple fact that they have no one who even remotely resembles a super star. They have a collection of fine players but no one dominant player. I just can't seen them contending for a western conference championship or a title without that one dominant talent. People will always refer back to the 04' Pistons but they had several all stars and border line super stars, defensively in Wallace and offensively in Billups. I also believe that team was a bit of an aberration.

They are playing decent at the moment.

Some of our most important players are off to a bad start (Gallo and Ty). But those will turn it around, and it have given some other guys a chance to develop (mostly Faried)

Karl's rotation (lack of trust in McGee and JHam + the 2PG lineup at all the wrong moments) and his defensive philosophy are my biggest worries. we are always killed from the 3pt line because of strongside double teaming and switching

They were overrated when some experts said 1-3 seed, but they are as good as they have been the last decade. 4-8 seed with a decent chance of advancing to the 2nd round.

+ we are for some reason not getting to the FT line as much this season. after leading the league in that categori for many season. and we are still playing the same style

but that will come back to normal out in the season. + our much worse FG% this season (usually lead the league in that cat as well)

i mean being on of the top team when i say leading the league i a categori

offensive rebounding have been a huge positive suprise this season. Faried/McGee/Kosta are epic at that

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    They are playing decent at the moment.

Some of our most important players are off to a bad start (Gallo and Ty). But those will turn it around, and it have given some other guys a chance to develop (mostly Faried)

Karl's rotation (lack of trust in McGee and JHam + the 2PG lineup at all the wrong moments) and his defensive philosophy are my biggest worries. we are always killed from the 3pt line because of strongside double teaming and switching

They were overrated when some experts said 1-3 seed, but they are as good as they have been the last decade. 4-8 seed with a decent chance of advancing to the 2nd round.
    Good post. That's what I meant by overrated (the 1-4 seed predictions, coming out of the west etc). Obviously they are a dangerous and good team. I agree 100 percent about 4-8 seed and solid chance at 2nd round .

I forgot the McGee thing. WTF happened? The guy looked flat out dominant at times vs the Lakers frontcourt of all teams in the playoffs. Then gets fat deal, has weird rift with Karl and doesn't seem to have much impact right now outside of blocking shots. Hakeem said dude could be the next superstar center . I know he's had his moments but why is he in the doghouse?

He's not in the doghouse. He's just being used as a sub for now.

The Nuggets have the deepest team in the league. They can literally go 12 deep, with little drop-off...and I think that's the big problem. Karl is trying to juggle all of this and his rotations are not always the best. I think it's a result of the roster.

They'd be smart to trade Gallo. And they'd be smart to go after Alec Burks. But Karl likes playing big. Which is interesting, as his team is a running team. But they're big and athletic, which is scary. Burks is a difference-maker tho.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

the nuggets biggest problem from what I can see is everyone on their team needs to be set up, Lawson isn't a great shooter yet. Iggy has no 1 on 1 game same with varied and McGee. Galinari is decent but be isn't shooting well to start the season, they'll get better once they figure it out.

Lawson playing like shit is the big issue..

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    He's not in the doghouse. He's just being used as a sub for now.

The Nuggets have the deepest team in the league. They can literally go 12 deep, with little drop-off...and I think that's the big problem. Karl is trying to juggle all of this and his rotations are not always the best. I think it's a result of the roster.

They'd be smart to trade Gallo. And they'd be smart to go after Alec Burks. But Karl likes playing big. Which is interesting, as his team is a running team. But they're big and athletic, which is scary. Burks is a difference-maker tho.
    They already have Jordan Hamilton who is similar to Burks and gets no pt.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    They already have Jordan Hamilton who is similar to Burks and gets no pt.

He's not similar at all, from what I've seen. Jordan Hamilton is a shooter. Burks is a flat-out scorer.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Well there goes any credibility you had with the Nuggets. McGee has been one of the very few bright spots. Karl just doesn't want to play him, when he's been in he's made an impact tho. He's doing work off the bench for sure. He's actually looked really good offensively, shown some post moves, finishing everything near the hoop. Continues to cut down on the stupidity.

Anyways I'm not sure if you can call them overrated. Hollinger and a few people in the media had them ranked pretty highly, we've seen their picks time after time fail. Any realistic person had them in the conversation with the 2nd tier West teams, which were Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies after L.A and OKC. Probably still too early too tell, but that's not looking true.

George Karl has really shit the bed this year. Usually the regular season is his thing but whatever reason this year he seems to be struggling. His rotations are off, his "offensive" system isn't working and the constant switching on defense has led to teams going nuts from 3 point land, again. Throw in guy's like Lawson & Gallo have worked through some major slumps and Denver's rough start is pretty pretty well explained. Lawson has always been an extremely efficient player who ran this team, right now he's extremely in efficient from everywhere. He can't hit FT's, 3's, little shots etc. Second he bounces back even a little bit, Denver looks brand new.

One thing I haven't seen alot of people mention is the schedule too. Denver has a crazy amount of games on the road. Def a team that thrives on their home floor running wild with the altitude. That could have something to do with the slow start. 7 games on the road, 5 at home. 2-1 at home so far and 2-5 away from it. Some absurd like 17 of their first 24 games will played away from Denver, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them to rip off a nice run January and throw themselves back into that 4-7 range.

Guess we'll see. Still far too early and if it continues I can honestly see Karl getting put on the hotseat.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

They were never going to be more than a first round team anyway. Not sure why anyone thought otherwise. Would anyone really see them winning a series against the Lakers, Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies or Clippers?