Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Default Will we ever see athletic Lebron James again?

Has lost all leaping ability and cannot finish around the rim in the half court setting.

He tends to have slow starts to the season, but I have seen no improvement whatsoever.

Default Re: Will we ever see athletic Lebron James again?

Gee who knows. It sucks being all nonathletic like LeBron and averaging 25\8\6 to start the season.

College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    Gee who knows. It sucks being all nonathletic like LeBron and averaging 25\8\6 to start the season.
    This is the worst start to the season since his 2nd year. Sorry, but he has top be judged by his high standards.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

We'll see him doing athletic dunks in a video going viral right before the all-star dunk contest again. Something like an off the wall tomahawk or a off the bounce tomahawk or an almost free throw line tomahawk or a switcheroo tomahawk or a off the shotclock tomahawk or a tomahawk to a tomahawk
    Last edited by Mass Debator; 12-05-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Will we ever see athletic Derrick Rose again?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

If LeBron James isn't athletic I'm not sure the NBA has any athletes. It's normal for a player around 30 to dunk less but he's still bigger stronger and faster than anyone that is going to guard him.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    We'll see him doing athletic dunks in a video going viral right before the all-star dunk contest again. Something like an off the wall tomahawk or a off the bounce tomahawk or an almost free throw line tomahawk or a switcheroo tomahawk or a off the shotclock tomahawk or a tomahawk to a tomahawk
    TWIST: it's actually a 9ft hoop

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    TWIST: it's actually a 9ft hoop
    Kyrie does a 360 between the legs on it so Lebron and his team locks up the building and confiscates all recordings.

No. He can't jump anywhere near as high as he used to.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Could be falling off a little, could be him playing a bit unmotivated; but I think it's a combination of him feeling unmotivated with it being the regular season and all and trying to protect his knees. When you're consistently jumping ~35 inches off the ground and landing on your 250+ lbs frame, your knees get wrecked going into your 30's. I'm sure as a student of the game Lebron understands this.

Of course this is purely speculation based on the fact that Lebron did coast last season, and he's always been a high IQ player so him wanting to protect himself for the longevity of his career doesn't seem farfetched.

There's a difference between not being able to do it at all AND PACING YOURSELF. I've always said in their own way that Bird, Bron, and Magic are unique from the other great perimeter players because they could always move to the PF spot and create havoc from that position as they get older. Bron isn't at that point yet, but it's NO BIG DEAL if his athletic ability takes a huge hit. He's still a freak athlete, he's just in preventative maintenance mode as of now.

ALL the legendary freak athletes who were great for a long ass time (Doc, MJ, Nique, Drexler, Kobe) did this. Other freak athletes like Wade for example aren't as durable and have to scale back the number of games they play due to pain and nagging injuries. Guys like Doc, MJ, Nique, Drexler, and Kobe were still going hard and strong into their mid 30's. Bron's goal is to be like those guys.

Local High School Star

Can't believe his leaping ability regressed so much in just 1 year. Look how high he gets on most of his layups and dunks, we have yet to see something similar this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DY-lTzc2oE

Decent college freshman

I think he's slowing down (only reasonable to expect given he's a couple weeks short of his 30th birthday) and the fact he's logged so many minutes.

I did notice on that breakaway dunk late last night he got himself higher than I've seen in the CLE games I've seen this year. It's like he turned it on for a few seconds. Granted, not above the rim, but springier than most games.

I'd be interested to see if his fast break opportunities are significantly down compared to last year (like actual stats of opportunities per game). The games this year that I watched seem to have him with fewer wide open fast break opportunities (mostly due to the defensive shortcomings). I think those easy shots got him rolling when he was in MIA- like it hyped himself up

I do think he's getting more selective of when to use it though. He's not in peak shape yet imo, so maybe in another month we'll see some more athletic plays.

National High School Star funnystuff's Avatar

Its early in the regular season, Lebron is smart enough to know to pace himself now.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by funnystuff
    Its early in the regular season, Lebron is smart enough to know to pace himself now.