Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default on ball perimeter defense: the most unappreciated aspect of basketball stat geeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBu28UwDzps

one of the greatest to ever do it. constantly disrespected. constantly overlooked. constantly underrated.

there is rarely a stat for it. it is measured by watching games. there isn't always a steal. there isn't always a block. but theres always great foot work.

the most unappreciated kind of defender. it requires more talent than a big man due to handchecking rules being 100 times more constant on the perimeter

just watch the video and understand why he has 9 first team all defensive awards. the most in nba history

Default Re: on ball perimeter defense: the most unappreciated aspect of basketball among fans

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin

one of the greatest to ever do it. constantly disrespected. constantly overlooked. constantly underrated.

there is rarely a stat for it. it is measured by watching games. there isn't always a steal. there isn't always a block. but theres always great foot work.

the most unappreciated kind of defender. it requires more talent than a big man due to handchecking rules being 100 times more severe on the perimeter

just watch the video and understand why he has 9 first team all defensive awards. the most in nba history
    Let me guess, that video you posted is of Kobe.

Default Re: on ball perimeter defense: the most unappreciated aspect of basketball stat geeks

The real reason why he has 9 1st Team All Defensive Awards is that it has become a very sad popularity contest

Default Re: on ball perimeter defense: the most unappreciated aspect of basketball stat geeks

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

The best on ball perimeter defense I have seen did involve Kobe Bryant but he was the one getting shutdown back when they faced Detriot in the finals and LINDSEY HUNTER who had the most insane lateral quickness just shut him down I have literally never seen defense like that since that guy at that point of his career was a monster on D.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin

the most unappreciated kind of defender. it requires more talent than a big man due to handchecking rules being 100 times more constant on the perimeter

Historically not so much, but since the latest hand-checking guidlelines were implemented I agree to some extent. Being able to shut your man down without getting called for a foul is huge in today's league (since the mid-2000s). Various rule changes:

That was nice, but call me when he does it as good as Lebron. That guy is way better than him at it.

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    The real reason why he has 9 1st Team All Defensive Awards is that it has become a very sad popularity contest
    Kobe working his voodoo to get NBA coaches to vote for him. Too bad the advanced stat brigade wasn't around to statistically validate Jordan's all defensive team selections every year.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    The best on ball perimeter defense I have seen did involve Kobe Bryant but he was the one getting shutdown back when they faced Detriot in the finals and LINDSEY HUNTER who had the most insane lateral quickness just shut him down I have literally never seen defense like that since that guy at that point of his career was a monster on D.

It's so funny to see kengriffin's parades get rained upon.

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    Lindsey Hunter averaged 13 mins a game in the Finals and shot .29% from the field.

Kobe is a great defender when he wants to be, but he didn't deserve an all defensive selection last year. It was an absolute crime that Thabo Sefolosha didn't make an all defensive team. He is arguably the best defender in the entire league. Dude is a superstar killer.

Kobe was arguably the best perimeter defender in his prime though.

Didnt even have to click on the video or read the post. Saw the op and knew who the post was about.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

I Still Don`t Understand Why His Defensive Rating and Defensive WIn Share is Not Elite At All. And Yeah Broken Down Stats Like PER are Useless even Though MJ had The Highest Ever
    Last edited by Round Mound; 11-25-2012 at 11:57 PM.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    Lindsey Hunter averaged 13 mins a game in the Finals and shot .29% from the field.
    Yeap and for those 13 mins he terrorised the Lakers backcourt badly at the age of like 37

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

40 seconds for 1 play r u kidding me