Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Kevin Johnson video and some other things....

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i0ttke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqfRC9GEyYE

Not the highest quality at all points(and youtube doesnt help) but lets see you get 3 minutes of prime mostly pre Barkley Kevin Johnson footage. Its mostly from old NBA action tapes, a few home videos, and other sources. Left out the Bulls 93 title video footage. Wanted more of his pre injury days.

Now....

Hes one of the few to lead a team past a Magic Johnson led team when Magic was actually playing. Moses Malone, Bird, Jordan, Hakeem, and Kevin Johnson. Magic was hurt when they played the Pistons and got swept. Hamstring issue. Him and Magic are the only 20+ point 10+ assists 50% shooting players ever and both of them did it twice. Some choose to consider Tom Chambers the leader of those suns but its no different than Nash and Amare. Anyone giving Nash credit for the Suns should probably give KJ credit for his. Both had crazy talent to do what they did but not all talented teams come together so well..

Think these suns are great scorers? KJ was leading some of the best offensive teams anyone could hope to see. Hed led a 119ppg team one season. The brief "This day in history" clip in the video is from a game the Suns scored 173 points in regulation. One season they had 130 in 3 of the first 4 games of the season. Later that year they had 3 130+ point games in a 3 week stretch and dropped 138 points 3 days after the last of those. They topped 120 in 3 of the last 4 games of that season with a game of 141. They only went under 100 points in 3 games one season. Gave the warriors 154. They had 3 straight playoff games with over 130 points. KJ probably led the greatest offense of the last quarter century outside the early 80s Nuggets and Showtime(who never actually scored 119 a game as the Suns did).

When Nash went off in the 05 playoffs he had people saying it proved he was MVP. He put up 24 and 11 that playoff run. Kevin Johnson had long playoff runs(10 games or more 3 of them to the WCF) getting:

24/12
    24/12(not a mistake he did it in 2 seasons)
    27 and 10
    25/9(shot 57% that run too)

And really he could have put up more assists but the Suns had an oldschool style of fastbreak. They didnt just run with the ball they broke out like wide recievers and had guys throwing full court outlet passes. In the video I showed clips from a Suns/heat game where Kevin did a lot of what im talking about. Get the rebound and toss it 80 feet for the layup or to a teammate who then gets the assist by hitting the open man. He might have averaged more assists if he kept the ball himself more on the break.

In the halfcourt he had a good bit of scoring responsibility. He didnt lead them in ppg but id say he was their best one on one scorer. Bit of a TJ ford and Wade hybrid. Always willing to pass but he could get to the basket at will.

And his defense. He wasnt an elite defender but he was great on the ball when he had to be. Even guarded Michael Jordan pretty well at times even though the bigger(and all D team level defender) Majerle was on the team. List of current points you could throw on Jordan is not long.

Im not saying hes top 30-50 all time as a few do but he sure as hell wasnt worse than Steve Nash.

Praise KJ.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 07-26-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Kevin Johnson video and some other things....

The best PG in Suns History, sorry Nash unless you win a title for them, you are #2.

Decent playground baller

damn I wish I knew you were making this. I have footage and interview of him talking about his final game and how he got a dunk in and also his dunk on Robert Horry from earlier in the season.

Kevin Johnson is a forgotten great. One of my favorite players growing up between when I started watching ball. He was between top 5-10 from my earlier years of ball watching (1994-1997).

I probaly caught him right after he was leaving his prime but from what I remember he was still a good guard. Of course I've seen his highlights from the late 80's/early 90's when he was at his best. He was a top 5ive guard during that time competing with Magic/Isiah/Stockton and Timmy (this was before GP was an elite guard).

I'd probally rank him somewhere between 60-80 of the greatest players of all-time.

Ive had this footage for like 2 months putting together a clip or two here and there. Him, Mark Price, Rod Strickland, and Terrell Brandon are a few of the guys I always save anything on them I find. Just in case I feel like putitng something together. I didnt think to ask anyone because I almost never see clips of him. Figured there wasnt much to find.

I had 9 NBA action episodes from 92 but I lost them. Good bit of suns highlights there. Almost just gave up on making him one but decided 3 minutes would be enough.

He was a top 5ive guard during that time competing with Magic/Isiah/Stockton and Timmy (this was before GP was an elite guard).
    Too bad he had to come along with so many great guards. He put up 20/12/4 and shot 50+ from the field and didnt even make the all star team one year. And not like his team was bad or he was hurt. He played 81 games and they won 55. And the odd thing is Magic didnt even play in that years all star game.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 07-26-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Too bad he had to come along with so many great guards. He put up 20/12/4 and shot 50+ from the field and didnt even make the all star team one year. And not like his team was bad or he was hurt. He played 81 games and they won 55. And the odd thing is Magic didnt even play in that years all star game.
    I think Terry Porter got in that season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    I think Terry Porter got in that season.
    Who was also a great player. Not anywhere as athletic or fast as KJ, but still very effective.

I have nothing but good things to say about Terry Porter. Very underrated pointguard. I always felt he carried the Blazers in the clutch more than Drexler.

Good college starter Agent_Zero's Avatar

Great mix Blaze. KJ was definitely the man in his prime. And, yeah, locotee, he is the best suns pg ever.

That was a good mix, I hope Glove sees this. Truely an underrated player.

Mars Blackmon Lives!

that was nice. i remembered the dunk over dream in 94, but not that big time throw down over eaton. that one had some shine on it.

Amazing player. At his peak he used to outplay players like John Stockton (who was also at his peak around there). Was highly explosive. Was as good as anyone penetrating and a great finisher. No one quite like him, but Tony Parker comes to mind. Always went with full force, and yeah, was a great penetrator.

Even though he didn't have the 3pt shot numbers, he was a great shooter. Had a deadly mid-range jumper. So he would either finish it off pentetrating, or pull up and shoot that mid-range jumper.

Defensively he was also underrated. Better than most give him credit (average). Was quick and could guard quick little guards, didn't get beat off the dribble too often, and in the Finals with Jordan, he forced Jordan to shoot and not drive.

And KBlaze brung in some other good points on him.

He was really the PG you wanted. Scored a lot (20+) and with high %s (50+). Scored as well as any PG. Then he also passed as well as anyone. He createsd his passing by penetrating and giving open looks to teammates. And then he also was a solid defender. He was also known for improving teammates, Tom Chambers himself said, "KJ made the player I am today" when Chambers was at his Peak in Phoenix. And yeah, the Suns had a great offense back then, and KJ created that amazing pace.

At his peak he was better than Kidd, Nash, or Stockton, And overall, I'd take him over Kidd, or Nash, Stockton has a large career edge, so maybe he gets the nod over KJ.

But he is definately Top 40. I don't want to go over that too much, GMAT would explain that better than anyone in the world, and I mean that literally.

Anyways, nice video, remembering THE most underrated player of all-time by far.

-primetime-
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20

Amazing player. At his peak he used to outplay players like John Stockton (who was also at his peak around there). Was highly explosive. Was as good as anyone penetrating and a great finisher. No one quite like him, but Tony Parker comes to mind. Always went with full force, and yeah, was a great penetrator.

Even though he didn't have the 3pt shot numbers, he was a great shooter. Had a deadly mid-range jumper. So he would either finish it off pentetrating, or pull up and shoot that mid-range jumper.

Defensively he was also underrated. Better than most give him credit (average). Was quick and could guard quick little guards, didn't get beat off the dribble too often, and in the Finals with Jordan, he forced Jordan to shoot and not drive.

And KBlaze brung in some other good points on him.

He was really the PG you wanted. Scored a lot (20+) and with high %s (50+). Scored as well as any PG. Then he also passed as well as anyone. He createsd his passing by penetrating and giving open looks to teammates. And then he also was a solid defender. He was also known for improving teammates, Tom Chambers himself said, "KJ made the player I am today" when Chambers was at his Peak in Phoenix. And yeah, the Suns had a great offense back then, and KJ created that amazing pace.

At his peak he was better than Kidd, Nash, or Stockton, And overall, I'd take him over Kidd, or Nash, Stockton has a large career edge, so maybe he gets the nod over KJ.

But he is definately Top 40. I don't want to go over that too much, GMAT would explain that better than anyone in the world, and I mean that literally.

Anyways, nice video, remembering THE most underrated player of all-time by far.
    wrong

wrong

wrong

Nash is the leader of his team and has won 2 MVPs....Nash is amazing

KJ might be under-rated, but lets not over-rate him

he is not a top 40 player....and imo he is not top 50

Quote Originally Posted by -primetime-
    wrong

wrong

wrong

Nash is the leader of his team and has won 2 MVPs....Nash is amazing

KJ might be under-rated, but lets not over-rate him

he is not a top 40 player....and imo he is not top 50
    No he is definately a Top 40 player. Nash might be great right now at his peak, but Kevin Johnson was a little better. Kidd was never on KJ's level, and Stockton, though also great, always got abused by KJ when they played.

Like I told you, I'll start a KJ vs. Kidd thread when GMAT is around, and you'll see too. I could argue it right now if I wanted to, but not as well as with GMAT.